How to make 8mm Allen key extension

Cqc
Cqc Posts: 951
edited January 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all
Can't undo 8mm self extracting bolt on truvativ stylo cranks (2007). Im doing it right in that I'm putting the allen key in the smaller hole, but it's stuck fast. I've heard that an extension would give more leverage and therefore make it easier to get off, but how does one set about making one? I've found a good length metal pole, but the hole in the middle of the pole is too wide, so does anyone have any ideas on how to reduce the size of the hole? Shoving some inner tube in there or some other soft material won't do it as the Allen key twists. Any ideas? Thanks.

Comments

• Surely it doesn't matter.
  • Cqc
    If it twists too much you cant tighten it properly, and it's harder to control. A nice firm thing would be nice
  • miceden
    miceden Posts: 225
    When you say the hole in the middle of the pole is too wide do you mean the internal diameter of the pole is too wide....? I agree that it shouldn't matter, just put it over the Allen key and lever it, the Allen key doesn't have to fit snugly.

And have you tried wd40ing the bolt and letting it soak for awhile, it just may help loosen it up.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Vice grips
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Cqc
    I've tried wd40 and it does nothing for me :( the internal diameter is so wide that the Allen key is at a proper angle though, and it matters to me anyway. Any ideas?
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:
    Vice grips
    Or give it a few whacks with a rubber mallet.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Handlebars
  • cooldad
    njee20 wrote:
    Handlebars
    Take them off your bike first.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    sharp tap with a mallet should loosen it
  • Cqc
    Don't have a rubber mallet or vice grips, and don't want to buy them if that's ok, and I don't want to remove/ risk damaging my handlebars for this, as they're new and It took me forever to install the thanks to my odd gear shifters.is there anything I can place in this extension tube to make the inside diameter smaller or not?
  • Cqc
    And also what can I attach the crank to to stop it moving when I'm levering away?
  • You're inventing problems.

How about your seat post?
  • Cqc
    You're inventing problems.
    Not really, just that if my levering is stronger thank my grip on my crank, I might as well not have the extra leverage...
    And I have a very short seatpost, as I have a weird frame
  • This all seems very odd. You can normally leaver them by gripping on the one hand and fingers at the bottom and pulling together
  • Cqc
    Well i can't understand your sentence as it has no object, however I can't do what I think your saying as its stuck, so unless you can think of something to put in the pole...
  • cooldad
    Use anything to lash the crank to the down tube, and use an ordinary hammer - it's just an allen key. Just whack it.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Use a ring spanner (or anything) to extend the allen key, try a bit of imagination.
  • Dirtydog11 wrote:
    Use a ring spanner (or anything) to extend the allen key, try a bit of imagination.

+1 to ring spanner, this what I have always done if needing more leverage.
    Padyak rider
  • Dirtydog11 wrote:

+1 to ring spanner, this what I have always done if needing more leverage.

yep, or a deep socket and extension

has anyone got into a laughing fit reading this thread? :lol::lol: