Rock shox super deluxe

lees
lees Posts: 28
edited January 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Morning All
I have a 1998 GT STS fitted with a Rock shox super deluxe, i have noticed a bit of oil leaking from the shock, does anyone know if i can get a repair kit ie seals and do this myself or will i have to send it off some where?, or can you recomend a replacement shock to fit as i know this shock is now 14 years old.
Cheers Lee

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I'd give TFT a ring and see what they have to say.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    doubt there is anything you can do with the shock now - find a cheap replacement. do you know the i2i and stroke?
  • POAH wrote:
    doubt there is anything you can do with the shock now - find a cheap replacement. do you know the i2i and stroke?

It is a trunnion mount shock, not many options.
  • http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=178217

Look at the above link, it has rebuild instructions. Hopefully somewhere would be willing to give it a go at fixing it for you.

Risse racing still make new shocks to suit it:

http://risseracing.com/store/product_in ... d9d08c9257

IIRC people have fitted Cannondale Jekyll shocks to them in the past.
  • lees
    Just read the retrobike thread it says if the oil is leaking from the seal head unit onto the shaft then i will need a new unit,other option is buy one of the risseracing ones.
    If it is knackered i suppose theres no harm opining it up and seeing if anything can be done with it,
    Thanks for the replies so far, if anyone has any other options i would be very gratefull
    Cheers Lee
  • lees
    Ok guys a bit of an update, just rang a few suspension places and the problem is there are no spares available any more i explained the problem to a guy at TF Tuned and he reckons the seal that has gone is just a o ring so after Sundays ride at Llandeglla i will strip it down and go from there nothing to loose
    Just going to email Risseracing for the price to ship one of theres to the uk incase
    Cheers Lee
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    If the oil is leaking from the dials such as rebound, then you'll need a new unit...
  • lees
    No its leaking down the shaft
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    may just be the seal then, but you never know- in the 15 years of you having it have you ever maintained it with servicing?
  • lees
    Cqc wrote:
    may just be the seal then, but you never know- in the 15 years of you having it have you ever maintained it with servicing?
    The bike was hung up in the garage for 8 years un touched and i have never had the shock serviced only got back into it last year after packing in triathlon.
    I do love this bike so i am going to order one from Risseracing and while i am at it replace the 15 year old RST High 5 forks for something more up to date.
    If anyone has any suggestions on a suitable set of forks that would go well on this old girl i would be gratefull before i start looking as i am not really up to date on the mountain bike scene. Could do with an idea of what i am looking for before i put a post in the wanted section
    Cheers for all the replies
    Lee