Hivemind - vacuum cleaners

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
edited January 2014 in Commuting chat
I'm looking for a vacuum cleaner.

It needs to be canister so I can clean the hardwood floor, rugs, carpets, sofas & beds.

I'm in the hunt for one because my girlfriend suffers from allergies, bad skin and asthma.

So, i'm looking for one that will be powerful and has an excellent filter, so all that dust and those minuscule bugs don't stand a chance.

Now, I (we) don't mind spending big whack on an expensive vacuum if that's the only one that will do the job, (it's her health ultimately) but I want to know i'm not just buying it for the brand.

Everyone raves about Dysons and i've found quite a few refurbished dysons for around the £100-120 mark on ebay, and I've also heard good stuff about the mighty mite.

Anyone an expert or know much about this?

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Getting the right HEPA filter(s) on it will be the most important part of the air quality. Personally I hate Dyson cleaners - I think that they are fragile and incredibly noisy. I'm a great fan of Miele products in general but have no experience of their vacuum cleaners.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Get a new Girlfreind.

But failing that, get a dyson with the right HEPA filters, IMO they are superb.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    In my experience of vacuums at my family home and my own home buying cheap means buying twice, or thrice. I now have a Dyson and wish I had bought it much much earlier.

Great piece of kit.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I live on the edge of very muddy countryside, I have a dog, three children - and a Dyson. Expensive but has seen a lot of use for three years, no sign of fragility, quality of cleaning is superb.
  • UndercoverElephant
    UndercoverElephant Posts: 5,796
    edited January 2014
    We've gone through a couple of Dysons in our time, they both died somewhat prematurely, IMO. Good while they work, I'll grant you, but they don't seem to actually work for long. Also, emptying the cylinder is awful for someone with dust mite allergies, believe me, so you'd be doing it. Every time. Emptying a cylinder into a bin, and getting all of the dust blown back into your lungs is not pleasant at the best of times.

We have now had a Sebo Felix for the past five years (several years longer than either Dyson lasted) and it is very good indeed. Constantly at the top of the Which? best buys and rightly so. You do have to shell out once in a while for a new load of bags, but they can be sealed before removal so they don't leak dust at you.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    We still use our first (UK built) Dyson for doing the cars, it is the very first model produced and keep on top of the filter changing and they are excellent, we also have the later one and it's now 2.5 years old and working perfectly, (get the 'animal' one as it has better filtration), ours are uprights, but I think the same range is available in cylinder.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Not convinced about hydrocylones with after filters (ie Dysons). We have a Miele. Bought the first one for my parents about 6 years ago, did so well we got one for ourselves which has been doing an excellent job for the last 4 years. Has a bag and filters which do a first class job (our son has similar pet allergies).
    Coffee is not my cup of tea

Moda Fresco track racer
    Kinesis Crosslight Pro 6 winter commuter
    Gunnar Hyper X
    Rocky Mountain ETSX
    Cannondale Scalpel 3000 (retro-bike in bits)
    Lemond Poprad Disc, now retired pending frame re-paint.
  • tetm
    tetm Posts: 564
    Try here, Rick.

The savings aren't as massive as they were before Christmas when I bought mine, but would vouch for build quality and suction power so far. 6 year gurantee isn't too shabby either.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    We've had loads of vacs over the years, all rubbish until we forked out a bit more and got a Miele. So refreshing to get one that actually works. Never going to be an exciting purchase but its really annoying when they keep failing all the time...
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    We've gone through a couple of Dysons in our time, they both died somewhat prematurely, IMO. Good while they work, I'll grant you, but they don't seem to actually work for long. Also, emptying the cylinder is awful for someone with dust mite allergies, believe me, so you'd be doing it. Every time. Emptying a cylinder into a bin, and getting all of the dust blown back into your lungs is not pleasant at the best of times.

We have now had a Sebo Felix for the past five years (several years longer than either Dyson lasted) and it is very good indeed. Constantly at the top of the Which? best buys and rightly so. You do have to shell out once in a while for a new load of bags, but they can be sealed before removal so they don't leak dust at you.

Sebo was a name I was trying to remember
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rick_chasey
    Cheers guys.

Seen £100 off a dyson DC 28c at John Lewis. (Still £200 though) with 5 year warranty.
  • Cheers guys.

Seen £100 off a dyson DC 28c at John Lewis. (Still £200 though) with 5 year warranty.

Don't go bagless if she has allergies, seriously.
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah.

I'm happy to empty them outside tbh. That solves that issue no??
  • Yeah.

So long as you're going to be the one emptying it, every time. Somewhat limiting if, for example, she's off and you're at work when you have visitors coming round.
  • asquithea
    asquithea Posts: 145
    I have a Henry vac, which I'm happy with. Very robust.

It comes in a HEPA-filtered version: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Numatic-HVR200M ... d_sim_kh_2

Cost is about £120
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Yeah.

So long as you're going to be the one emptying it, every time. Somewhat limiting if, for example, she's off and you're at work when you have visitors coming round.

UCE,

How much dust do you generate....
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • goonz
    I would steer well away from Vax. Keep breaking down.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    BigMat wrote:
    We've had loads of vacs over the years, all rubbish until we forked out a bit more and got a Miele. So refreshing to get one that actually works. Never going to be an exciting purchase but its really annoying when they keep failing all the time...
    +1 for Miele over Dyson
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • BigMat wrote:

+1 for the Miele, also have tried loads of vacuums and this is the best so far. Get a turbo brush if you've got pets, sorted!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,487
    goonz wrote:
    I would steer well away from Vax. Keep breaking down.

We've not really had any problems with our upright Vax Dyson-clone. It has a good suck on it, but I'd agree that emptying the cylinder is a messy job - I always do it outside, straight into the wheelie bin.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • bucklb
    bucklb Posts: 296
    +1 on Miele. Still going strong after many years - outlasted the cats in some cases.

UCE,

How much dust do you generate....

For work, most care homes have the Henry, which are more robust than the dyson's I'd agree with UCE that emptying a dyson if you have allergies is not going to be pleasent. At work robust and capacity win out hence the Henry's
  • miele here too - right filters and job done, used a dyson at parents and the bagless can be a pita if it fluffs about and doesn't seem like that much of a suction loss v the miele.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Miele, like everyone else here who's got one. Their stuff's expensive but it can be (and is worth) repairing.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • leeefm
    leeefm Posts: 260
    SEBO+1. I've used VAX and Dyson. VAX are just utter rubbish (other than the very first one - that was great) and Dyson build, IMO, is not as solid. I've got one of these

Quite quiet, light, excellent build, very powerful and has hospital grade filtration.
    Shand Skinnymalinky
    Argon 18 Radon
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Sebo all the way. Ours is excellent, superb power, all the filters for wife's allergies and all the parts can be easily replaced if required. So far, it's been very durable so no need yet. We've just renovated our house so it's had very heavy use and still works prefectly.

Do NOT go Dyson/bagless for allergies for reasons mentioned about.

The Sebo machines might not look funky like the Dysons, but they work superbly.
  • +1 Miele
    Had it for about 5 years now, brother in-law for 2 months longer and it just going on and on without any sign of weakness even after the cleaner didnt put bag in there for a week or so (I still cant believe that she didnt spot the cloud of dust). Burnt one Sebo out (was loud, bag was full, just popped and went quite, I think they are also fairly expensive).
    Miele bags are around 10 quid/5 bags and they do have a HEPA version.
  • rick_chasey
    Well, I went to John Lewis and got the dyson 28. I managed to wrangle an extra £35 off which made it £135 off the original price which is almost half price (£165), so it was a bit of a no brainer.

Have to say, it's quite something. Very light hosepipe thing, extremely strong suction (the amount of stuff it picked up was impressive), and it's just well designed - the way all the attachments work etc.

Seems a fair bit stronger suction than the miele that I've used at my parents.

Do see what you mean about emptying it - definitely should do it downwind, but overall I'm pretty pleased.

Just need to be more careful about sucking up the inevitable hairpin that's made its way onto the floor than if I'd got a more conventional.

Anyway, cheers guys. Hivemind works as well as ever.
  • goonz
    Just empty the bin outdoors should help with allergies.

Are the SEBO's solely suitable for hard floors? Each one i've seen recommended here has a picture of a fragile looking machine only being used on hard floors.

With thick carpet and a cat just dont think it would be up to the job...
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Anyway, cheers guys. Hivemind works as well as ever.

Excellent but please stop it with the Hivemind crap - it's OK just to ask for advice. This is a forum. If you ask questions, people will answer. Sticking "Hivemind" on the thread doesn't get you any better advice but does make you look a bit silly. :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......