Merry Christmas & Many Happy Returns

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,052
edited April 2014 in Commuting chat
A bit of a play on words with the thread title, so who got what and what will you be returning?

As usual my presents had a strong cycling theme about them including a framed sketch of my Cervelo R5, plenty of Rapha bits n bobs and a pair of Rapha jeans, now I'm usually a Levi or Diesel kinda guy so i'm a bit surprised at home skinny and tight around the thighs these are.

They might be going back for something more MAMIL friendly.

Ho ho ho merry Christmas
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• Happy Christmas! The hoard are out walking the dog so a brief respite before it all kicks off. Not opened anything yet but fairly sure there's an exposure strada mk5 lurking in there somewhere which won't be going back!
    Have a great day everyone, quite a few people near here with no power so hope their day works out ok.
  • Yes - I meant to say that Rapha jeans are loose around the waist and tight around the thighs. I thought, at first, that I might send mine back but I've actually grown to like them - though I would like the waist a bit smaller. It wouldn't even be that ways to have them altered due to the gripper band and very heavy denim.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Unwrapped an Edge 500. Thought it'd be rude to bugger off up a hill or three to "test" it on actual Christmas Day so suggested I take the bike and ride back from the in-laws later. That was met with a steel eyed stare so I guess I wont get to test it until tomorrow.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    Unwrapped an Edge 500. Thought it'd be rude to bugger off up a hill or three to "test" it on actual Christmas Day so suggested I take the bike and ride back from the in-laws later. That was met with a steel eyed stare so I guess I wont get to test it until tomorrow.

I think that's an entirely reasonable suggestion, I would be inclined to do it anyway :-)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Happy Christmas to one and all.

Not opened a bike yet and I dont think there is one under the tree. Oh well cant blame the 35 week week pregnant mrs toe for that.

Enjoy all.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • itboffin
    Well i've tried on those jeans again and mrs itboffin says they look good on me, i on the other hand am able to detect mutton dressed as lamb, they're going back on Friday for something more "slack" and suitable of my age/weight
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    My family finally realised I like bike riding so a Ana Nichoola buff and a base layer will come in very handy. Ditto the electric sander and Black and Decker workmate, bought after I was caught cutting a piece of wood g-clamped to a glass table with a jigsaw.

The pink fluffy pyjamas will be going back however. Blue is my signature colour.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • Well some what ironically considering I can't ride for the time being, I have some DHB mtb shoes, for Christmas

Plus a Bern helmet, and giant trance. Which where bought just before and after my accident so I have a fair amount of bike kit! But no chance using them yet.

On the other hand I've had I good day, normally work over Christmas but fractured skull put paid to that, be safe folk feel I've got off lucky to be honest, also means no booze!!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Indeed, happy Christmas one and all.
    As usual more stuff has been bought than was necessary. Kids are happy though, they both got Kobo ereaders amongst loads of otherstuff.
    Like ITB I got a pair of jeans that are a bit too tight, though not Rapha. I can get into them, but they are tight on the thighs and more importantly don't seem to have room in other vital areas. But the Mrs says they look good on me and they'll stretch. Hmmm.
    I have a slight dilemna. I said I wanted a desk lamp, Anglepoise type thing. My wife has bought me a lamp that is nothing like one, it's more like a miniature chrome search light on a tripod. My father has given me an old Anglepoise that needs a bit of tidying. I know which I prefer, how to tell the Mrs?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,484
    msmancunia wrote:
    ...and Black and Decker workmate, bought after I was caught cutting a piece of wood g-clamped to a glass table with a jigsaw...

:shock: And to think I had you down as a sensible, capable type. :lol:
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Merry Christmas for all of you! Good luck with the returns, luckily I only got a few things and they are mostly edible and made out of chocolate so no return here!
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Like ITB I got a pair of jeans that are a bit too tight, though not Rapha. I can get into them, but they are tight on the thighs and more importantly don't seem to have room in other vital areas. But the Mrs says they look good on me and they'll stretch. Hmmm.
    Snap. What is it with our womenfolk squeezing us into spray-on jeans. Anyone would think they would want to keep our fantastic physiques to themselves, not show it off to the world. Do jeans actually stretch or, as I suspect, is this a myth to prevent immediate buyer's remorse immediately after buying ill-fitting jeans?
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I have a slight dilemna. I said I wanted a desk lamp, Anglepoise type thing. My wife has bought me a lamp that is nothing like one, it's more like a miniature chrome search light on a tripod. My father has given me an old Anglepoise that needs a bit of tidying. I know which I prefer, how to tell the Mrs?
    Easy.
    "Look, Woman, I know your heart was in the right place but the lamp you bought me is hideous and not fit for purpose. I'm going to fix up Dad's old Anglepoise and use that instead. From now on, listen to what I ask for or you could end up like your lamp; traded in for an older model that has had some work done, but can still hold seemingly impossible positions for as long as necessary."
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • rubertoe
    Then run away with a circus veronese. You have to be subtle and phase it out slowly.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• Oh God, how much did I eat and drink yesterday?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Well my daughter bought me some Wii dance game (that she not-so-secretly wanted for herself). What's worse is that I beat my kids (16 & 18) at the game too! Dad Dancing is clearly very cool (perhaps it's because I was shoe-horned into some I'll-fitting Xmas jeans like some sort of latter day John Travolta 8) :wink: ) )
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • itboffin
    Oh God, how much did I eat and drink yesterday?

Yep hence the resurrection of the weight loss thread #LBL2014
  • rubertoe
    Fatties, already been out and done a brisk 34 miles this morning. The weight won't shift by sitting on your (insert device here) will they?

Just off to try the aeropress now... she does listen.

• msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Couple of the neighbours kids seem to have been given walkie talkies for Christmas.

Just went out to put something in the dustbin and heard the following transmission:

"Josh to George. There is dog poo on the pavement. Stay on the road. Repeat, stay on the road. Over".

"Received and understood".

:lol:
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    received a new trackpump to replace the useless ones that I have and also a strange white stick with a window in the middle showing 2 red lines
  • rubertoe
    gbsahne wrote:
    received a new trackpump to replace the useless ones that I have and also a strange white stick with a window in the middle showing 2 red lines

:D:D

congratulations....

• veronese68
    Happy new year folks.
    Small update to my earlier post. I have learned to put socks on before the impossibly tight jeans and the Anglepoise won. Now to refurbish the Anglepoise.
  • rjsterry
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Happy new year folks.
    Small update to my earlier post. I have learned to put socks on before the impossibly tight jeans and the Anglepoise won. Now to refurbish the Anglepoise.
    This thread desperately needs pictures. Well done on the Anglepoise - a classic.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• veronese68
    rjsterry wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Happy new year folks.
    This thread desperately needs pictures. Well done on the Anglepoise - a classic.
    Here you go:
    IMG_0461.jpg
    There is a screw missing and the paint is coming off the lamp shade. I think I might polish the rest of the shade and just give the rest of it a clean up.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Well my daughter bought me some Wii dance game (that she not-so-secretly wanted for herself). What's worse is that I beat my kids (16 & 18) at the game too! Dad Dancing is clearly very cool (perhaps it's because I was shoe-horned into some I'll-fitting Xmas jeans like some sort of latter day John Travolta 8) :wink: ) )
    My eldest arrived home, a while ago, with a High School Musical dance mat. She seemed rather deflated when I scored full marks on the first attempt, but at least it gave me the perfect excuse never to have to try again...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • rjsterry
    Veronese68 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Happy new year folks.
    Here you go:
    IMG_0461.jpg
    There is a screw missing and the paint is coming off the lamp shade. I think I might polish the rest of the shade and just give the rest of it a clean up.
    Nice. I have a Model 90, inherited from my grandfather, which turns out to be quite a bit older than I realised.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• itboffin
    Rapha sky very skinny jeans returned and Rapha raeburn skinny jeans purchased in replacement.

whilst better I'm still not convinced that skinny jeans is a good look
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    rubertoe wrote:
    gbsahne wrote:

congratulations....

Recap; It's a girl (well fingers crossed will be)
  • corriebee1
    corriebee1 Posts: 390
    Nice one! :D
  • rubertoe

Whoop.