Anyone race modern steel?

Bozabyka
Bozabyka Posts: 252
edited January 2014 in Amateur race
Does anyone race a modern steel frame?
I am looking to replace a Caad9.
I do not think carbon is going to make me any quicker and have seen nothing to prove it will.
I realise carbon will be lighter.
I like the look of the Genesis Volare 631 or perhaps a custom build in 725.
What are your thoughts?

Comments

• TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    Go for it. They're beauts. My mate won his first club tt on a steel bike.
    The weight difference between steel and carbon having diminished over the years, it is hardly ever going to put you at a disadvantage.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Why are you replacing the CAAD9?
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I have a 90's Sannino (columbus Genius tubing) that I will be racing this year. I have it partly built. It will weigh 7.25 or 7.5kg depending on the final spec (i.e rims I use). I could go lighter I suppose but that will require a big spend and it is costing me a fair bit as it is.

So I'd say go for it. On WW there are few top level riders racing on steel.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • 100%
    100% Posts: 236
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Why are you replacing the CAAD9?

I'd have to agree with this question.

That said, I have a very nice steel Waterford R-33 and I definitely wouldn't change it however I've not raced it due to a bunch of injury problems over the last couple of years but I bought it with that intention. There are club mates who have raced theirs and are very happy with them. I've put plenty of miles on mine though :)

I'd definitely recommend checking out this route...but why replace the CAAD9?

Cheers,
    Steve
  • xcMuttley
    xcMuttley Posts: 434
    Im currently building a Genesis Volare 853 up for racing.
    Go for what you think is best for you! If Madison Genesis and Rapha Condor JLT race steel then its plenty good enough to fight it out in a race.
    Check out my blog for my views and reviews: http://memylifeandmybike.blogspot.co.uk/
  • I raced on a Super Acciaio a bit last year, and it was very good.

Nothing to stop you riding a steel bike in a race- so long as the geo is right and it's not stupidly heavy, anything is fine really- all comes down to your legs in the end!
  • Bozabyka
    The Caad is a great bike.
    I have a back injury and would benefit from a custom frame.
    I have been measured up by Steve Goff and have an ordered a frame.
    Waiting for delivery has made me question my decision, thanks for your replies.
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    i've raced on my Acciao a few times. It's not noticeably different on the flat. I tend to use it if it looks like it might be a total crashfest, so anything on an airfield or tight circuit.
  • buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    One of the benefits of racing on a steel bike depends on how much difference you think frame material makes to performance. You may feel it's a bigger achievement if you win a race despite riding a steel frame ;)
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • 100%
    100% Posts: 236
    Bozabyka wrote:
    The Caad is a great bike.
    I have a back injury and would benefit from a custom frame.

That sounds like a good reason to switch to me! :)
  • farrina
    farrina Posts: 360
    edited January 2014
    Bozabyka wrote:
    Steve built me two 853 OS tubing frames last year at a very competitive price. The workmanship is first rate, althought his delivery date estimates are wide of the mark! However be patient - IMHO he is a honourable chap and I am sure you will not be disappointed by the result. I certainly wasn't!

I have only ever ridden steel frames - carbon, especially forks and the possibility of them snapping gives me nightmares.

The nice thing about steel is that it is easily repaired, repainted and after a crash you are not worrying about whether there are any weaknesses in the carbon waiting to go.

Good luck!

Alan
    Regards
    Alan
  • Bozabyka
    Thanks Farrina.
    I have spoken to Steve and he is planning to start the build this coming week.
    I know many people are happy with carbon, but like yourself I have more faith in steel.
  • a mate of mine has signed with madison genesis for this season but don't think he has his bike yet, will be interesting to see what he thinks of it and how it compares to the cervelo he had last year which he rated very highly
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    a mate of mine has signed with madison genesis for this season but don't think he has his bike yet, will be interesting to see what he thinks of it and how it compares to the cervelo he had last year which he rated very highly

Let us know, though I suppose if he doesn't rate it it might not be politic to say so.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    a mate of mine has signed with madison genesis for this season but don't think he has his bike yet, will be interesting to see what he thinks of it and how it compares to the cervelo he had last year which he rated very highly
    When he gets it tell him not to leave it unattended outside a café!