Strengthening Wrist/Forearm

Greer_
Greer_ Posts: 1,716
edited January 2014 in Health, fitness & training
Does anyone have any exercises, that can preferably be done with a dumbbell, to strengthen my wrists/hands? I struggle at races and rocky trail centres with arm pump, and I get really bad hand cramp. Its annoying because I could easily manage 2 laps of certain trailcentres, but just can't because my hands are too sore!

Started this the last few days - putting my arm flat on my leg with my wrist hanging off my knee, and raising the dumbbell up and down. But other exercises would be much appreciated. Have started doing core strength/conditioning as well, but that's just a work in progress.

Cheers!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Can't help on what you are asking but check your brake lever position, normally levers too far out from the grips can add to arm pump etc.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Greer_
    Thanks, will wind the lever in to see if it helps! I've tried different angles etc which hasn't seemed to help.
  • https://powerballs.com

Helped with my arm pump loads.
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Greer_ wrote:
    Does anyone have any exercises, that can preferably be done with a dumbbell, to strengthen my wrists/hands? I struggle at races and rocky trail centres with arm pump, and I get really bad hand cramp. Its annoying because I could easily manage 2 laps of certain trailcentres, but just can't because my hands are too sore!

Started this the last few days - putting my arm flat on my leg with my wrist hanging off my knee, and raising the dumbbell up and down. But other exercises would be much appreciated. Have started doing core strength/conditioning as well, but that's just a work in progress.

Cheers!
    I was thinking about asking something the same. My wrists are pretty tender tonight after Barnetts this morning :wink:

Lever position sounds like something to try
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • Greer_
    NeXXus wrote:
    I was thinking about asking something the same. My wrists are pretty tender tonight after Barnetts this morning :wink:

I was more meaning rostrevor and the likes with the prolonged descents! I love them .... but it hurts!
    https://powerballs.com

Cheers, that looks like a good shout actually!
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Greer_ wrote:
    NeXXus wrote:

I was more meaning rostrevor and the likes with the prolonged descents! I love them .... but it hurts!
    https://powerballs.com

Cheers, that looks like a good shout actually!
    Hurts there too :(
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.