slipping chain

oldwasp
oldwasp Posts: 27
edited January 2014 in Workshop
Hi,
I recently replaced my chain and rear cassette with new ones. But now the chain is slipping or jumping in the small cassette sprocket. When I am in any other gear everything is spot on, all gear changes are smooth I have tried changing the limit screw and putting the old small sprocket on with no success. This happens when I am in the small or big cog at the front. My setup is shimano 105
Thanks
Jeff

Comments

• smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    You say you adjusted the limit screw, Did you move the barrel adjuster first? All adjusting the limit screw will do is either not let you select top gear or make your chain fall off if its too far either way.

Go big front - Small rear ie top gear and adjust gears from there down the gears just past half way. Then go to your very lowest gear and do the same. dont worry if the last gears in each sequence are not great as you wouldn't cross chain them from big to big or small to small anyway.

Also, Check that you Still have the spacer behind the cassette if you had one before. chances are if it's 10 speed you will have done. This coukd cause the small cog to be misaligned.
  • Thanks for the reply.
    Spacer is there and gears are adjusted correctly, I am completely stumped by this may have to go to the LB.
  • careful
    careful Posts: 720
    When you changed cassetts, did you go from 12T to 11T smallest sprocket? If so, check that the lockring is suitable for 11T (it will be written on the lockring). For 11T the lockring can be too big, preventing the chain from sitting properly on the sprocket.
  • smoggysteve
    careful wrote:
    When you changed cassetts, did you go from 12T to 11T smallest sprocket? If so, check that the lockring is suitable for 11T (it will be written on the lockring). For 11T the lockring can be too big, preventing the chain from sitting properly on the sprocket.

The correct lockring would have come with the new cassette regardless of 11 or 12 teeth. If you change cassettes you are not going to reuse bits from the old on are you?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    careful wrote:

The correct lockring would have come with the new cassette regardless of 11 or 12 teeth. If you change cassettes you are not going to reuse bits from the old on are you?

Couple of times on here people have had this very issue, so yes, it does happen. One guy admitted he'd accidentally fitted the old 12t lockring with his new 11t cassette. I think the other case involved a used cassette supplied with the wrong lock ring.
  • smoggysteve
    Then these people are stoopid. less the incorrect one which tbh is a slim cjance of happening again.

You buy a new cassette, but decided to use an old component even though new one has the same item.

no other word but stupid. Don't try to defend it. You get instructions so read them
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'm not defending it :D
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Had something similar on an old bike I bought. It would skip under load on the two smallest sprockets. The chain wasn't warn so I assumed it was the cassette - but the chain snapped before I could replace. So check for dodgy or stuck chain links where you joined the new chain.