Camelbak Alternative?

TCottle
TCottle Posts: 65
edited January 2014 in MTB buying advice
Can anyone suggest an alternative to a Camelbak hydration backpack?

Or are they that good!?

Comments

• CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Dakine Drafter hydration pack. Very comfortable with lots of handy features. Better bladder than Camelbak too, IMO.

I've used Dakine photo packs, rucksacks and snowboard bags for over 10 years and they're bombproof.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I've got a Dakine AMP, it is spot on. 18 litre storage and 3 litre bladder.
  • Cookeh
    Cookeh Posts: 351
    If you want something with slightly smaller storage capacity, I got a Gelert Edge quite recently.

Reasonably priced, 10L storage +2L bladder, good compartment design.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I have the Dakine Drafter and concur it is very good but my Camelback Mule was great - 10 years without any issues aside from a replacement bladder about 6 years in - I'd still be using it if someone hadnt half inched it.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    Why not just get a Camelbak? All the ones I've had work very well and are solidly built. If it's down to budget then I'm sure there's plenty in the sales... Osprey are supposed to be great too...
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • If its only the water storage bit your after, cheapish hydration packs can be had for about £20 on amazon and the like easily enough. The pack kowalski posted about looks a good buy too.
    Framebuilder
    Handbuilt Steel 29er https://goo.gl/RYSbaa
    Carbon Stumpjumper https://goo.gl/xJNFcv
    Parkwood:http://goo.gl/Gf8xkL
    Ribble Gran Fondo https://goo.gl/ZpTFXz
    Triban:http://goo.gl/v63FBB
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    It was, definiely.
  • L3BIUS
    L3BIUS Posts: 91
    Look on tesco website for "hydration pack" they have two to choose from, ones £12 and the other £20. Absolute steals and great reviews!
    The New Beast GT Aggressor 2013 project

The Old Beast GT Aggressor Hardtail 2011 Custom Spec

Places i want to visit:
    Gisburn Forest, Afan Forest, Holmbury Hill, Forest of Dean, Antur Stiniog, Fort William, Tweed Valley, Cwmcarn
  • Kowalski675
    L3BIUS wrote:
    Look on tesco website for "hydration pack" they have two to choose from, ones £12 and the other £20. Absolute steals and great reviews!

I've been using the previous version of their £12 pack and it was a bargain - only criticism is the bite valve - it's not the easiest to use and does leak a little if you leave it pointing downwards.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Water bottle?
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    njee20 wrote:
    Water bottle?

Camelback or equivalent stores tools and spares and so on plus water, water bottle just holds water and gets covered in mud. Fail.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Kowalski675
    njee20 wrote:
    Water bottle?

Camelback or equivalent stores tools and spares and so on plus water, water bottle just holds water and gets covered in mud. Fail.

You hope that's only mud on the valve when you go to drink from it, lol...
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    njee20 wrote:
    Water bottle?

Water bottle in bag. Win
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Stopping every time you need a drink. Not win.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    I'm a recent convert to Osprey - their packs are really well designed (obviously by someone who actually mountain bikes!). Loads of great features that just make it far more user-friendly - such a semi-rigid hydration bladder with a handle (easier to fill up :D ), magnetic nozzle that clips to your chest strap, separate tool pouch in the bottom of the pack, little side pockets on the waist strap etc etc.

I have always used Camelbaks until now but to be honest there is no way I would go back now.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    miss notax wrote:
    I'm a recent convert to Osprey - their packs are really well designed (obviously by someone who actually mountain bikes!). Loads of great features that just make it far more user-friendly - such a semi-rigid hydration bladder with a handle (easier to fill up :D ), magnetic nozzle that clips to your chest strap, separate tool pouch in the bottom of the pack, little side pockets on the waist strap etc etc.

I have always used Camelbaks until now but to be honest there is no way I would go back now.
    +1.
    Had Camelbaks for years but bought an Osprey Zealot last year.No comparison.The Osprey is better thought out and the semi-rigid back plate/Bladder means it stays put on your back no matter how much you move about 8)
    Not cheap but worth every penny IMO :D
  • raldat
    raldat Posts: 242
    I recently bought the Tesco one. Bite valve was poor but otherwise really good. I bought the Camlebak right angle fitting and bite valve for a few bucks when I was in the US the other week and fitted those the Tesco tube and I am now super happy with it. We will of course see how long it lasts, it total cost was 18 quid.
  • Bozabyka
    Bozabyka Posts: 252
    I am sure I have seen a tri bike with a bladder fitted within the frame
  • gregwari
    gregwari Posts: 230
    Osprey Viper - awesome.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    njee20 wrote:
    Water bottle?

Jacket pockets store crap, don't give you a sweaty back and don't twat you in the back of the head every time you go down something steep. Or drip. You get a face full of mud anyway, never had anything untoward on a bottle.

Was being slightly facaetious, I go through phases using a Camelbak, but I've not used one for the last couple of years and certainly haven't missed it.