New builder questions.

carl1983
carl1983 Posts: 162
edited December 2013 in Workshop
Hi, I have just bought a Monoc quatro pro frame for a dirt cheap price and was wondering what I need to know before going to buy parts for it? I don't have the frame yet so only have the info from the web which tells me the headset is " C.N.C H/TUBE-INTEGRATED CARTRIDGE H/SET" I don't understand what C.N.C means?

Also the website says oversized bb shell? The frame comes with a bb which the previous owner bought so what will I need to fit my Ultegra FC6600 to this?

Sorry if any of these questions sound stupid but I am very new to building bikes!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,517
    cnc typically means computer numerical control, i.e. the grindy/cutty thing that was used in manufacturing the head tube was run by a computer

osbb is what specialized call bb30, but as it's not a specialized frame it's odd to call it that, if it is bbb30 you can fit adaptors to use a standard threaded bb, or to accept the crankset direct

tbh if you cannot find a reliable/detailed specification, i'd wait until you get the frame, then be prepared to do some measuring
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • carl1983
    sungod wrote:
    cnc typically means computer numerical control, i.e. the grindy/cutty thing that was used in manufacturing the head tube was run by a computer

osbb is what specialized call bb30, but as it's not a specialized frame it's odd to call it that, if it is bbb30 you can fit adaptors to use a standard threaded bb, or to accept the crankset direct

tbh if you cannot find a reliable/detailed specification, i'd wait until you get the frame, then be prepared to do some measuring

Thanks for the reply.

I have just been told the BB on the frame is FSA Mega Exo so would I need adaptors to fit with my Ultegra 6600 crank?

I won't be buying anything until I have the frame anyway just nice to have some research before hand :)
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,517
    many people report using hollowtech ii cranks in mega exo bb, so probably be ok, try it and see
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Frame is about 10-12 years old - it's a generic Taiwanese-built frame in 7005 alloy. Headset will be 1.125" integrated, Campagnolo pattern and BB is 68mm English - well before press-fit BBs. Whether the MegaExo BB suits your HT2 cranks depends on whether it is 6000 series (Gossamer - OK) or 8000 series (carbon - too narrow) - it will be a firm push-fit.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • carl1983
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Frame is about 10-12 years old - it's a generic Taiwanese-built frame in 7005 alloy. Headset will be 1.125" integrated, Campagnolo pattern and BB is 68mm English - well before press-fit BBs. Whether the MegaExo BB suits your HT2 cranks depends on whether it is 6000 series (Gossamer - OK) or 8000 series (carbon - too narrow) - it will be a firm push-fit.

I have just been told by the previous owner it is a standard 1 1/8th headset.

It is aluminium 7005 front, carbon rear. and the year of this perticualar frame is 2006.

bottom bracket according to website is "oversize BB shell" http://www.evovision.net/stopsite/monoc/c12.html