grease 'inside' headtube when press fitting headset cups???

jonathan2
jonathan2 Posts: 78
edited January 2014 in Workshop
Hi,
I have a Scott addict frameset and plan to press fit the headset. Should I use a little grease 'between' the headset cups on the inside of the carbon headtube? FSA - (it is a fsa headset) say to use grease, but according to what I have read, some say not to - it is 'rumoured that Scott say not to. I have tried to contact Scott themselves and checked all their 'manuals' but to no avail.

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Try Vaseline - it will help with fitting but won't have any effect on the materials. Some manufacturers suggest not using grease on bare barbon.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Cane Creek seem to suggest using grease for the crown race and bearing cups during assembly

http://www.canecreek.com/resources/prod ... ctions.pdf

Don't know if this helps but my gut feeling would be that using a small amount to aid assembly can't do too much damage
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    I do.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Scott say no, but I used some when fitting the cups to my CR1-SL. It hasn't disintegrated yet.

Looked like Scott used something green when pressing in the BB at the factory...
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Pretty sure I used carbon assembly paste.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    I've normally done them dry but I doubt you'll damage anything with grease. You could use assembly paste but the grittiness may make fitting harder.