52/36 vs 53/39

AndyD2574
AndyD2574 Posts: 1,034
edited December 2013 in Workshop
Sorry if its raking up old ground but last thing I need to decide on for my current build.

Will I see much difference if I go 'power compact' with a 11/26 or 11/28?

Live in Scotland so hilly and rolling and do lots of 100mile + rides?

Opinions...................
Specialized S Works Venge
Argon18 E114
Specialized Langster Single Speed
Scott Spark Expert 29'er
GT Avalanche
http://www.glasgowgreencycleclub.co.uk

Comments

• I run a 52/36 on my racing bike along with a 12-25 on the rear. Last season I had an 11-25 on the rear, but hardly touched the 11t. I live in the Peak District and find the ratios which it offers can get me up anything around here. They are Q rings mind, so gearing will be a little higher than standard rings in certain parts of the pedal stroke.

I would say its down to personal preference though and how strong you are...
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Use this website, put in the standard double/cassette option and then use the compare feature to see what the difference in ranges is for the softer standard.

I only run 9 speed so on my 2 bikes with 53/39 I run a 13/28 at the back (and when I spin out at ~120+ I just stop pedaling). I guess my ideal choice for standard double would be 10 speed 12/28 for undulating terrain and rides that were not too long but, on really tough rides (say, 200k with a shedload of climbing) I usually pick my bike with a compact (and a 12/27) as hitting a tough climb at the start of a ride and with fresh legs is one thing, hitting the same climb after 150k is another thing altogether.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    AndyD2574 wrote:
    Sorry if its raking up old ground but last thing I need to decide on for my current build.

Will I see much difference if I go 'power compact' with a 11/26 or 11/28?

Live in Scotland so hilly and rolling and do lots of 100mile + rides?

Opinions...................

The thing about gearing is that it's a personal choice, made entirely on personal preference and fitness. So in other words, whatever gearing you run is entirely up to you, and what you think you can make the best use of.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Agree - only you can decide what gears you can live with. I first started riding in Scotland in my late teens, we rode everything and everywhere on 52/42 and a 13-19 block because everyone else did - but I wouldn't recommend it now
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    36/52 with a 11-25
    lowest gear = 37.8
    highest = 124.2

39/53 with a 11-28
    lowest = 36.6
    highest = 126.6

see http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer