Disk Brake Rotor Botls

scottneilson24
scottneilson24 Posts: 40
edited January 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, today i was swapping my old, black, corroded rotor bolts for new shiny blue ones. When i was removing the old bolts every bolt except one of both rotors wouldn't come loose and as a result the head of the bolt was rounded off. I was just wondering if this was a problem that many other people get? I did remove them about 3 months ago and they came loose but for some reason they will not this time around. Does anyone have any easy methods for removing these bolts?

Comments

• Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    If your not planning on using them anymore you can do what i did and just grind the mushroom shaped head away with a dremel to get the rotor off. With no pressure on the thread the remaining screw just comes out with a pair of plyers.

Can also try drilling them out with the appropriate tool (which you can get at most DIY stores).
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Shiny blue ones presumably means anodised aluminium bolts. Not my idea of ideal rotor bolts, but once you've got the old ones out, tighten the new ones bit by bit, tweaking opposites up each time. don't tighten one fully, then the next.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Yeah they are, and i tightened them one by one opposite until they were secured. Do you think it could have originally been caused by tightening them up wrong?
  • cooldad
    Overtightening probably.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Just corrosion I'd say. Combined with cheap tools damaging heads.

Alloy rotor bolts aren't great though, shallow heads make rounding very likely in future.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    If you dont have a Dremel you can use a jr hacksaw to saw a groove in the bolt head then use a flat head screwdriver. Or sometimes you can jam a torx bit in and get enough grip to remove it.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Managed to get it out, i hammered an old drill bit into the screw and then used an allen key
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Yeah they are, and i tightened them one by one opposite until they were secured. Do you think it could have originally been caused by tightening them up wrong?

If they're steel screws (they're only bolts if the shank is partly blank) into an ally hub then your problem is probably galvanic corrosion. Moisture promotes a chemical reaction that basically welds the two different metals together. Using copper grease (or similar anti seize product) stops this happening.
  • njee20
    they're only bolts if the shank is partly blank

I'm calling boLOLocks on that. Agree with the rest though.
  • cooldad
    njee20 wrote:

I saw what you did there.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • bennyy
    bennyy Posts: 141
    It's true, bolts have a non threaded section, fully threaded are called set screws
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Strictly speaking set screws are for fixing things like pulleys to shafts. Cap Head Screws or Cap Head Bolts is what thay are properly called but it makes about 0.00% difference.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • and this discussion is "riveting" ;-P
  • Kowalski675
    njee20 wrote:

Far be it for me to try stop you from parading your ignorance to the world, fill your boots.

If the shank's fully threaded it's a machine screw, if the shank has a blank section it's a bolt. This is fact, whether you know it or not (which, evidently, you do not).
  • Kowalski675
    stubs wrote:
    Strictly speaking set screws are for fixing things like pulleys to shafts. Cap Head Screws or Cap Head Bolts is what thay are properly called but it makes about 0.00% difference.

A cap head screw (or bolt) just refers to the head type - it's another word for an allen head screw.
  • njee20
    Please - parade my ignorance, find me a definitive definition that that is the difference.
  • cooldad
    My definitions.
    A bolt is cylindrical and screws into a nut or threaded part.
    A screw has a pointy bit.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • stubs
    There is no universally accepted distinction between a screw and a bolt. Machinery's Handbook describes the distinction as follows:

A bolt is an externally threaded fastener designed for insertion through holes in assembled parts, and is normally intended to be tightened or released by torquing a nut. A screw is an externally threaded fastener capable of being inserted into holes in assembled parts, of mating with a preformed internal thread or forming its own thread, and of being tightened or released by torquing the head. An externally threaded fastener which is prevented from being turned during assembly and which can be tightened or released only by torquing a nut is a bolt. (Example: round head bolts, track bolts, plow bolts.) An externally threaded fastener that has thread form which prohibits assembly with a nut having a straight thread of multiple pitch length is a screw.

There that makes it utterly obvious you can call it a screw or a bolt no one gives a flying fuck
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • cooldad
    So what I said.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • stubs
    cooldad wrote:
    So what I said.

Yes
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Back to the original question, is it possible you used the wrong tool? MOST rotor bolts/screws (hedging my bets, here) use a T25 Torx bit, but SOME use an allen key, and if you didn't look closely, you might have picked the wrong tool, which would increase the chances of rounding out the hole.
  • njee20
    The alu ones I had used a T20 head, which was just a pain.
  • Kowalski675
    cooldad wrote:
    My definitions.
    A bolt is cylindrical and screws into a nut or threaded part.
    A screw has a pointy bit.

WALOB.
  • Kowalski675
    njee20 wrote:

Why? Torx heads are a very good design - they'll take much higher torques than allen heads before rounding off (particularly on soft ally fasteners).
  • cooldad
    Because T20 is rather small.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    Maybe if you have sausage fingers. Smaller fasteners benefit more from a Torx head than larger ones.
  • njee20
    njee20 wrote:

Why? Torx heads are a very good design - they'll take much higher torques than allen heads before rounding off (particularly on soft ally fasteners).

Because everything else is T25, so I had better quality T25 bits than T20, and a bike covered in T25 heads (SRAM XX is all torx) with some rotor bolts needing a different tool. I'm well aware of the advantages of torx fittings thanks.

Still waiting for your example of the bolt/screw definition?
  • Kowalski675
    njee20 wrote:
    Because everything else is T25, so I had better quality T25 bits than T20

Not the bike's fault that your tool collection's lacking, lol. :wink:
  • A bolt has an unthreaded portion of shank below the head and a screw (more technically a machine screw) is threaded all the way up to the underside of the head. Full definitions are available on the web.
  • njee20
    They're not though, it's not that clear cut. In fact virtually every source says 'there's no absolute definition'.