fitting a new cassette

Kingsmill1
Kingsmill1 Posts: 103
edited January 2014 in Road beginners
I have purchased a set of fulcrum racing 7's to upgrade my bike, i have also ordered a new cassette but instead of the same one on the original bike I have ordered tiagra rather than sora ( I have made sure that is 9 speed and the same 12/27 on the back). I am going to keep the old wheels for winter and the turbo. Question how easy is it to fit the cassette on to the new hub , and where do i place the spacer will the instructions that come with the wheels explain all or is there some dark arts are work fitting the cassette. Have tools just need to make sure i dont balls it up with fitting the spacers in the wrong places.
Giant TCR Comp 2
Specialized Allez Sport

Comments

• e999sam
    e999sam Posts: 426
    http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techd ... 799948.pdf
    http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techd ... 750004.pdf
    Your new cassette should come with the documents above. They show you where to put the spacers.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,432
    it's easy

9-speed shimano cassettes have no spacer in the box

but read the instructions with the wheel, if it's a current model it's likely to be 11-speed compatible, so there'll be a spacer supplied with the wheel to match other speed cassettes
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • The hardest part is trying to work out which way the chain whip goes... and then worrying that you're putting too much pressure on the wrench to release it

(chain whip clockwise)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • You don't need a chain whip to install a cassette. Just a splined tool and a wrench, or you can get all in one splined wrenches.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    I would say for the cassette you are fitting to the wheels you bought Would be pretty much impossible to do incorrectly. the cogs will only go on one way and so long as you fit everything in the order it comes on the plastic hub holding it together and tighten it enough with the splined tool you cannot go wrong.
  • You don't need a chain whip to install a cassette. Just a splined tool and a wrench, or you can get all in one splined wrenches.

You do to get the old one off...
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Primus84
    Primus84 Posts: 109
    You don't need a chain whip to install a cassette. Just a splined tool and a wrench, or you can get all in one splined wrenches.

You do to get the old one off...

I think the OP mentions brand new wheels and a brand new cassette?
  • Good point, well made! :)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • well everything is ready apart from one small detail the wheels have not arrived yet. I am going to change the chain while I'm at it as ive read its worth doing both at the same time. The current chain has done about 1800 miles and although I've checked it with a KMC chain checked the wear has not got the the point of no return. :http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/posting.php?mode=reply&f=40020&t=12953054#o
    Giant TCR Comp 2
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • If I can fit a cassette in the work car park during a 5 minute break (I mostly suck at bike maintenance) then it must be easy.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    Yep, providing you have the correct parts and the correct spline tool (plus chain whip if removing an old cassette) it is one of the easiest bits of bike maintenance you can do. One of the slots on each cog of the cassette is narrower than the others which ensures they all locate correctly on the hub. The only thing to watch out for (when removing a cassette) is the whip finally moving under pressure leaving you taking the skin off your knuckles!
  • mosa
    mosa Posts: 754
    I bought a park tool cassette tool which got mine straight off but when i put the new one on it was loose....nearly every ring was slack £2 later at lbs and sorted. God knows how I couldn't get it right. Any ideas?
    My bikes

2018 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Yup - you forgot to put the spacer rings in....
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Great time of to follow the rule that requires you to support your LBS.

Walked into mine with two wheels and two cassettes. Both fitted in 5 minutes total for no charge as I am a regular.
    I insisted on buying the cake though.