Rockshox Reverb advice please (pictures)

877cms
877cms Posts: 19
edited December 2013 in MTB buying advice
Yes another Rockshox thread, I have done all the reading and not been able to satisfy myself before placing the order.
I have put my seat at the highest comfortable position (heel on pedal, leg straight) and attached the photo below, I get 230mm from bottom of rails to the point it enters the frame. The frame can accomodate 260mm of seatpost, the diameter is 31.6mm. I would like the 125mm drop.

Based on what I've read, as per below photo, I have gathered there is 190mm from the saddle rails to the bottom of the collar (i.e. where it enters the frame). That means that for my above saddle height of 230mm, I would end up with:

For a 380mm reverb:
380-230=150mm of seatpost in the tube

or for a 420mm Reverb:
420-230=190mm of seatpost in the tube

As both as below the maximum of 260mm, I guess I can choose either the 380 or 420 size?

Am I correct?

Comments

• Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Yeah, either is fine. What did you not get? You seemed to have understood perfectly... :?
  • 877cms
    Ok great, it took a while to get through the thick noggin, but glad I understood it correctly - cheers :)
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    That said, if you're planning on putting it on your next bike in a few years time, it might be worth considering how much tube that frame will accommodate...
  • you seem to have it spot on, however there is one other thing to consider - what if it goes wrong? (Less common now than in the early days of droppers)

Ideally you would have enough seat post in the seat tube to raise it manually if it fails in the down position.

Obviously not a major factor, but something to consider.

conversely, the added weight of a longer post might change your mind the other way.
    Bikes:
    Cannondale Killer V 1995 (Promo model) - My first Race bike now converted to a commuter
    Lapierre X-Flow 712 - XC fs rocket
    Pivot Mach 6 - Enduro Machine
    Pinarello FP2 - Roadie
  • 877cms
    Cqc wrote:
    That said, if you're planning on putting it on your next bike in a few years time, it might be worth considering how much tube that frame will accommodate...

Had another think about things, and decided on the 31.6 x 380 with 125mm drop. To decide finally I set the saddle at 190mm, as this would be the minimum seat height with the post extended (measuring tube to rails). After a good ride around I decided I wouldn't need the saddle any lower when hill climbing/flat ground so that made up my mind. This leaves me 190mm in the tube, of which I can use 190-80=110mm (never going to need that much).

Plus the 125mm drop would lower the tube/rails measurement to 65mm which would be ideal, or I can use the clamp to reduce the drop if needed.

So overall, happy :)

you seem to have it spot on, however there is one other thing to consider - what if it goes wrong? (Less common now than in the early days of droppers)

Ideally you would have enough seat post in the seat tube to raise it manually if it fails in the down position.

Obviously not a major factor, but something to consider.

conversely, the added weight of a longer post might change your mind the other way.

Good idea to think about, if the 380mm failed I would end up with: 190mm lower tube length - 80mm min insertion + 65mm collar = 175mm of saddle height, so not too bad to get home on really.

Surprisingly hard decision to make, although I am know to agonize over these thing lol :wink: