Patching soft shell jacket

londoncommuter
londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
edited December 2013 in Workshop
Not sure there are enough spanners involved to be a proper workshop thread but I was hoping for some advice on repairing a soft shell jacket. I came off wearing an Endura FS260 jacket (like the link below) and tore the elbow:

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... nduzjac300

It's a bit more than a tear though as it's abbraded quite a lot of fabric so the mother-in-law advises it needs a patch not just sewing together again. Any tips on what to use? She's more concerned about matching the colour which I don't care about but I'd like something that's wind proof and durable like the rest of the jacket.

Many thanks

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,532
    you could use a goretex repair patch, they stick on, following up with a warm iron improves things, if you hunt around there are a few different colours available (black, red , blue i think), maybe different weights too

make sure fabric is *really* clean before applying, no fabric conditioners either
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Agree on GoreTex repair patches, pretty durable too if ironed-on
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Thanks guys. Are those just for waterproofs though as they seem to be stick on? As it's torn fabric I wasn't sure they'd work?
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    I damaged a softshell around a year ago. I tried the gortex patches at first but didnt really work. I ended up just patching with normal fabric. The damage was on the elbow so the gortex just came apart again from the movement.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Try contacting Endura directly. They may have some advice on how to patch it or may even supply the proper material for a patch.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,532
    another way is use seam grip, if the fabric is just torn, stitch it then smear with seam grip to complete the 'patch'

for a larger area you can use it to stick a piece of fabric over as a patch - but you need to find a suitable material - a broken umbrella is a possible source of light windproof stuff, keep an eye open for discard ones on these windy days :)

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/mcnett-seam ... it-p107603
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny