Cav needs to lay off the pies

Comments

• xscreamsuk wrote:
    He might be world champ at eating pies?

Actually according to Wikipedia that is Neil Collier, crowned in Harry's Bar, Wigan in 2010 (there hasn't been a championships since).

article-1292430666757-0c7b4e9d000005dc-780931_466x310.jpg

There has, it was yesterday in fact, for the Bradley Piggins trophy, http://www.wigantoday.net/news/local/pi ... -1-6324372

Well how's that for some strange coincidence!
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Edit: That'll teach the to post before reading through the thread.

Well, if you hadn't slayed the 'review your post function' :wink:
    Correlation is not causation.
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Thanks to Draver on the forum rules thread for the heads up - Cav interview on BBC Hardtalk: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03ltr9v

It really is a good interview by Stephen Sacher and Cav comes across well.
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    I read Cav's interview in Cyclingnews and he said he rode bad at the Tour because he rode one of the nastiest Giros beforehand. It does seem to amaze me how he thinks he can ride a really nasty Giro and then skip off to the Tour and try to win 5 stages and maybe the Green Jersey too. Is this another DOH! moment (like joining Team Sky) where he expects too much. He is human after all. Cipoillini knew what he was doing abandoning Tours to then go to other races in good shape.
    He mentions in the interview that he got the Red Jersey and won 5 stages. He should say that was main objective and he rode the Tour for a laugh. There was no way he was going to have the legs.

As for being fat; I'd be happy to see his Cephalic vein on his biceps to which I think I have never seen. Thinner doesn't only mean lighter but more aerodynamic as there's less of a rider going through the air.

Nice veins! :D
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTYaHWCe2ouZw5zjH-Us0S7QpBYCKKiy-f0ySQTrMd_Aj0d7oFgbA
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I thought the camera was claimed to only add 10 pounds?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,236
    dennisn wrote:

He's obviously carrying a lot of cameras.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    dennisn wrote:

He's obviously carrying a lot of cameras.

But he's not World Champ
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    Bcp5n0UCIAIgH1P.jpg:large

As I said on last years pre season threads, when Cav was pictured on a OPQS café stop, he looks nothing like an elite athlete more like someone brought their mate the plumber along for a day out with the pros
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Bcp5n0UCIAIgH1P.jpg:large

As I said on last years pre season threads, when Cav was pictured on a OPQS café stop, he looks nothing like an elite athlete more like someone brought their mate the plumber along for a day out with the pros

That looks like a photo from today's hamper race. He was in good form and won the gallop from little Pete and Mark Christian. He was looking "solid" after the race for the presentation but I would be worried if he was at racing weight at this time of the year.

There were plenty of skinny f*ckers nowhere to be seen so chapeau to him.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    TWH: I've always thought there was a weird plumber/workie type thing about cav.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    I wonder how or if he's going to keep the weight off when he retires?
  • I wonder how or if he's going to keep the weight off when he retires?

Who cares. There are loads of sports people who hit the pies following retirement. Footy players inparticular spend all of their playing days loaded but slaves to a regime to keep their weight down can't weight for a pie and pint fest. It must be miserable eating all of that boring super healthy stuff for a large part of the year.

I'm knackered after a non competitive ride out today where I nearly through my bike in the skip when I got back but now that me and Mrs Peril are on our second bottle of red, life and cycling doesn't seem so bad after all.
    @JaunePeril

• rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    I have never seen Cav look that Fat.

Eating that amount, especially for an athlete is a sign of mental issues.

That's a lot of weight to lose.
  • rayjay wrote:

It's all relative Rayjay. He's only tiny so a little winter weight gain goes a long way. I think it's a sign he is in a good place at the moment in terms of family etc. I suppose you could argue that he isn't as hungry (pardon the pun) for success anymore having won all that he's won but then only he can answer that.

I fully expect him to come out all guns blazing next season and confound his critics as he always does.
    @JaunePeril

• rayjay
    rayjay wrote:

It's all relative Rayjay. He's only tiny so a little winter weight gain goes a long way. I think it's a sign he is in a good place at the moment in terms of family etc. I suppose you could argue that he isn't as hungry (pardon the pun) for success anymore having won all that he's won but then only he can answer that.

I fully expect him to come out all guns blazing next season and confound his critics as he always does.

That's a good point Yellow. I hope he gets is hunger back :D for winning and not eating a big massive cake in the middle of the night when his big fat belly cry's out for some sugar.

Seriously though, Cav his IMO the greatest sprinter we have seen and has won just about all he can win as a sprinter. It must be very difficult to keep pushing for the same victory's.
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    I'm no fashion expert, but the white jersey and hoops aren't exactly flattering - he'd look skinnier in black. He'll be flying in July, so who cares what he looks like in December?
  • I'm sure he'll have lost it all by the time he has to be fast again, but it's worth mentioning that it's quite possibly to his detriment: so much weight gain won't make him faster, but spending longer in a caloric deficit might, for a spell, make him (slightly) slower. Optimally, his weight shouldn't really fluctuate at all (he doesn't seem to get lean enough in-season to justify it).
    1968, human content on bitumen.
  • LutherB
    LutherB Posts: 544
    Unless you're this guy....

cioni-tdf07-hornerburger.jpg
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    AQnyhows, Cav claimed his first win of the season in a local Manx Race:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bcp5n0UCIAIgH1P.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BcqA5_iCAAA5sed.jpg

[Both pics off of twitter]
    Rich
  • gpreeves
    gpreeves Posts: 454
    More photos are on here:

http://www.manxphotosonline.com/2013/12/29/cycling-2013-hamper-race/#more-23536

He looks quite a bit slimmer in the post-race photos.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Probably a combination of white generally making you look fat, him wearing heavier winter clothing, and the position on the bike (leant over) making him look fat.

Standing up you can see he isn't any fatter than usual.
  • He doesnt look so fat because his arms are up. Do that in front of a mirror and see how many kilos it takes off. Its clear that he looks more overweight than usual. It doesnt really matter apart from an aesthetic point of view or as an example for the younger people. He never was your typical bike rider but there is no denying his talent, work ethic and interesting character.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mm1 wrote:
    I'm no fashion expert, but the white jersey and hoops aren't exactly flattering - he'd look skinnier in black. He'll be flying in July, so who cares what he looks like in December?

Internet forum people ;)
  • its a shame crutchlow wasn't there for it, I hear he has a pretty mega sprint in him
  • rick_chasey
    Curious to know what he'd look like if he went Wiggins / Froome on us.

Not that he'd win as much, but curious to know.
  • rayjay
    It would be very hard for Cav to get ripped.

He did look lean at the Olympics but did not look at ease IMO.

I would not tamper with his regime. The dieting could have done some damage.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Nothing like posters on a forum knowing Cav's weight, the reason for his weight and how hard it is for him to lose weight.

Sure he looks a bit obese but as the elite sportsman he is, he obviously know what he's doing.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    The guy in front of Cave is thinking 'Heh, he's not world champ so I'll be reet with me mudguards on'...

#more-23536

Edit: Sorry, pic won't link right :(:|
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • rick_chasey
    ThomThom wrote:
    Nothing like posters on a forum knowing Cav's weight, the reason for his weight and how hard it is for him to lose weight.

Sure he looks a bit obese but as the elite sportsman he is, he obviously know what he's doing.

Not really.

Just compared to virtually all his peers he looks chubbier. Which is even more odd given how good he is.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    He needs some clen to get that weight off

Or maybe not :)