Shifting problems, baffled

Cheesemanpaul
Cheesemanpaul Posts: 56
edited December 2013 in Workshop
:( . Hi guys, I have just picked a bike up and I'm struggling with indexing the gears.. I'm very competent normally but I'm baffled. It's a 10 speed flat bar, single chain ring at the front. It has a slx bar shifter at the front and an ultegra derailleur.. I was always led to believe that there pretty much the same... I know that mtb and road cassettes are the same spacing so can't work out what's wrong, any suggestion??!!
Do I need a 10 speed mtb derailleur?
Cheers guys

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Shimano MTB 10 speed shifters are not compatible with Shimano road mechs AFAIK. I did not think the back blocks were the same spacing, but if they are then yes all you need is a MTB derailleur.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    pull ratios are different so your need a matching 10speed MTB rear mech.....flog the Ultegra on eBay and your cover your costs :D
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    What's a "six bar shifter"?
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Me-109 wrote:
    What's a "six bar shifter"?

SLX, not six. Shimano Deore.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    10speed (flat bar) road shifters work with 9spd mtb mechs or 10sp road mechs
    10speed mtb shifters only work with 10sp mtb mechs.

so, you either need to change the shifter to road type, or mech to mtb tybe.
  • Picked up a xt derailleur today and problem solved, it was a slx dynosys. Lucky there was a rear mech not to far away for sale. Not even sure if the ultegra is 10 speed, it says rd 6600 on it. eBay it is. Many thanks guys for all your input
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    6600 = 10 speed