Tyre choice for flanders and roubaix

gbr236
gbr236 Posts: 393
edited December 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi there
Has anyone any experience with the 27mm wide vittoria paves?
Ive used the 24s before and am looking for a tyre for early beligum sportives.
Hed ardennes handbuilts so a bit wider rim
Tried and loved the look of the challenge paris roubaix but at 28mm they won't fit in my frame

Off the wall suggestion but my cross ksyrium sl wheels with tubs???

Cheers

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I use the rub version if the pave and I cannot tell the difference between the 25mm version and the 27mm version. The 27mm version comes up at 25.5mm thats why.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • For Flanders the 24 mm Pave' are good enough... for Roubaix you want to go bigger if your frame allows.
    Pave' are a good choice as they're soft and flexy and so are the Challenge, which I thought came as 27 too.
    Best thing is to try them and return them if they don't fit, I would say
    left the forum March 2023
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    I too am looking for some early spring tyres. Are there any other alternatives to the vittoria Pave? They seem a bit pricey and the green stripe clashes with my colour scheme (yeah yeah I know)

25mm is the max my frame will allow.

Oh and thanks to thecycleclinic for the swish wheels, lovely Christmas present from my wife :) Not tried them yet, will have to wait for roads to be clear of salt.
  • PeteMadoc wrote:
    I too am looking for some early spring tyres. Are there any other alternatives to the vittoria Pave? They seem a bit pricey and the green stripe clashes with my colour scheme (yeah yeah I know)

You mean tyres for spring or you mean you have entered RVV and PR?
  • petemadoc
    PeteMadoc wrote:

I wish

No I just want something wider and more durable for wet and iffy weather Sunday rides. The roads round my way stay fairly clear but the Veloflex masters I use in the summer might be chancing it a little too much.
  • PeteMadoc wrote:
    PeteMadoc wrote:

I wish

No I just want something wider and more durable for wet and iffy weather Sunday rides. The roads round my way stay fairly clear but the Veloflex masters I use in the summer might be chancing it a little too much.

Just extend to season of your winter tyres until April/May...
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    PeteMadoc

I'd recommend the Conti GP 4 Seasons for the conditions you describe. They are my winter tyres of choice.

Durano S tyres have been recommended to me as a slightly hardier alternative.

I tried the Pave's previously and was seriously underwhelmed - they cut up on me and I suffered several visits from the p*ncture fairies with them. Others rate them very highly, I won't have them again.

Peter
  • northpole wrote:
    PeteMadoc
    I tried the Pave's previously and was seriously underwhelmed - they cut up on me and I suffered several visits from the p*ncture fairies with them. Others rate them very highly, I won't have them again.

Peter

They were advised to you for the wrong reasons... Pave' have a rather soft rubber compound, which means good grip, good flexibility, both important on the cobbles, but also means fast wear and they cut easily.
    Your GP 4 are not as good on bouncy surfaces, but last longer and cut less.
    In simple words Pave' are a race specific tyre for a specific type of race, while the GP 4 are tough training tyres
  • petemadoc

Just extend to season of your winter tyres until April/May...

I'll elaborate

Winter/serious bad weather and commuting bike has some horrible but hard wearing winter tyres on (currently rubino pro, awful tyres but that's another subject)

Weekend and race bike will come out once the salt has gone, I'll be using Veloflex master in the summer months but I'm looking for something nice for spring and autumn. Not too worried about longevity but don't want lots of punctures, must be nice and grippy and "plush" feeling. Hence why I am considering the Pave or similar. May just go for the master 25s and stick with those throughout.

Apologies for the thread hijack.
  • im riding 27mm pave tubulars on my infinito at the moment. Rode in icy conditions today and they are exceptional at relatively lowe pressures. Very sure smooth and comfortable.

I also run a canyon CF built for track and unmade roads on 24 mm wide rims with 28 mm conti four seasons which are also fairly quick and grippy of you end up opting for a clincher
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    They were advised to you for the wrong reasons... Pave' have a rather soft rubber compound, which means good grip, good flexibility, both important on the cobbles, but also means fast wear and they cut easily.

Agree with you regarding softer compound - Surrey Hill stones destroyed my Paves. Another unfortunate incident involving the Pave's resulted in me being thrown off when rounding a corner with a bunch of others - they had Conti GP4000s' if memory serves correctly, they made it round but my back wheel slid from under me with no warning. Probably a bit of bad luck on my part, but I was on the same line as the others and the remaining half of the sportive we were on was a pain filled experience! I remain unconvinced about the Pave's grip levels.... Hasn't happened to me before or since.

Peter
  • gbr236
    gbr236 Posts: 393
    brownbosh wrote:
    im riding 27mm pave tubulars on my infinito at the moment. Rode in icy conditions today and they are exceptional at relatively lowe pressures. Very sure smooth and comfortable.

Tubs at this time of year....luxury
    Do you carry and need a spare a lot!