What does a Garmin edge 800 have over a 500?

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,613
edited December 2013 in Road buying advice
Afternoon all,

I am currently being severely tempted by the 800 on Amazon.

I currently have a 500, and will shortly be setting it up with HR and Cadence, oh and the HR is one of those cycleops ones.

I have a rubbish sense of direction, AND I like to ride places I have never been before - so I use the 500 heavily for the breadcrumb trail option - the minor frustration I encounter with this setting, is that I have to choose to scroll to a new screen to see my stats, you know, distance travelled, average speed etc etc
Would this not be an issue on the 800 - is there a facility to run the map on say half of the screen, and still have enough room for say 4 data fields?

Now I realise that with the open source maps the facility to navigate to places, around places becomes technically a lot easier - but I would still be looking to plot a route on bikehike/gpsies, and download it that way, rather than plug in a destination like a satnav - at the end of the day I will most of the time carry out circular loops anyway.
And I understand the benefit is that even though I still create the TCX file in the same manner, instead of a breadcrumb trail I get a sat nav esque image on a pukka map.

When using the 500, I run the breacdrumb trail at a 300ft (Or is it Metres?) zoom level and this is fine for 95% of the turns I have to make, but I guess the visibility of a map would make it unmissable, especially if it was combined with an alert of some kind.

So - aside from the fact you can have a proper map, is there anything else I can do with the 800 that I would not be able to do with the 500?

Something I want to achieve/create is some proper training plans - I have set a load up for running on my FR Edge 305, and these work a treat - to give you an example:
Warm up - press lap
1m @ 8.20 pace
1m @ 9.00 pace
1m @ 8.20 pace
Cool down - press lap

That is a basic one above, but just to give you a flavour of how I set them up - should I be able to do that both the 500 and the 800?

I've read mostly glowing reviews, but the one about water ingres does concern me a bit, especially living in this country - what are peoples experiences of this?

Be very interested to hear your views, am exceedingly tempted to buy one, just want to make sure it will provide me with enough of a positive difference.

Dan
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Colour, touch screen,maps, control a Virb camera

You can display two data fields on map screen
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • daniel_b
    NeXXus wrote:

Thanks for the fast reply.

That is handy, re the two data fields - and as I think you change pages by swiping the screen, could you swipe one way to get to a data page, and then back the other way to return to the map?
    On the 500, I can press one button to get to the data screen, but then have to press it 4 times, and with a definite pause in between each one, to get back to the breadcrumb trail.
    Not a huge issue, but does mean less time spent concentrating on where I am going!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Daniel B wrote:
    NeXXus wrote:

Thanks for the fast reply.

That is handy, re the two data fields - and as I think you change pages by swiping the screen, could you swipe one way to get to a data page, and then back the other way to return to the map?
    On the 500, I can press one button to get to the data screen, but then have to press it 4 times, and with a definite pause in between each one, to get back to the breadcrumb trail.
    Not a huge issue, but does mean less time spent concentrating on where I am going!
    Yep, quick swipe. Just turn the other pointless screens off and it isn't a problem (defunct training pages, elevation page, virtual partner page)
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • Weirdly, the 800 with the performance bundle (includes HRM and speed cadence sensor) is currently cheaper on Amazon than the base unit alone. Some mistake?

Edit: someone else on here spotted this first.
    Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    So does the map package only cover the UK or does it handle mainland Europe too?
  • daniel_b
    NeXXus wrote:
    Yep, quick swipe. Just turn the other pointless screens off and it isn't a problem (defunct training pages, elevation page, virtual partner page)

Thanks for that, tinkered with it tonight.
    Was able to get it down to 3 screens, data, courses (which it seems you cannot switch off) and map.
    Toyed with the idea of the auto scroll, but the odds are it won't be on the trail at a critical point!

Going out tomorrow so will see how I get on, erring back away from the 800 I think.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    I notice from this http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/12/feeling-lucky-water-immersion-tests.html
    That water ingres is a recognised problem if you are using an sd (micro?) card in the slot on the rear.

My question is, how much built in memory does the 800 have, and if I wanted opensource maps on there would an sd card be my only choice?
    If so, then it's looking less likely.
    The other thing that troubles me is the apparently semi common power button failure issue.

I think I have been lucky/fortunate with our households two edge 205's, two forerunner 305's, and one 500.
    Aside from having to downgrade the firmware on the latter to get the breadcrumb trail to function, the devices themselves have been very reliable.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    So does the map package only cover the UK or does it handle mainland Europe too?

The 'performance bundle' that's cheap on Amazon right now only includes the largely useless 'base map' (main roads only, no detail) - not sure how far this goes. If you want usable maps for the UK or Europe you either need to download the free open source maps, or buy Garmin's versions as add-ons, or buy a bundle that specifically includes them.
    Daniel B wrote:

My question is, how much built in memory does the 800 have, and if I wanted opensource maps on there would an sd card be my only choice?

Only 100MB (and Garmin says about 75MB should be free). This isn't enough for proper country-wide (open source or Garmin) mapping. You'll either need your own micro SD for downloadable maps, or one from Garmin with pre-loaded maps.
  • daniel_b
    Daniel B wrote:

Only 100MB (and Garmin says about 75MB should be free). This isn't enough for proper country-wide (open source or Garmin) mapping. You'll either need your own micro SD for downloadable maps, or one from Garmin with pre-loaded maps.[/quote]

Thanks RDW, that seals the deal, or the non deal should I say, I can't have a device that isn't properly waterproof - if I lived in Provence or Tuscany then perhaps you could get away with it!

That is the straw that brakes the camel's back for me, even if it comes back down in price I will not consider it now, full steam ahead with the existing 500.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18

precisely.
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'