Want to convert my Voodoo Bokor into a 2 by 9

georgeav
georgeav Posts: 6
edited December 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, first off i've been using my bokor for 3 months now and it's epic (Better than my old rockhopper) But i ride the bike like you would a full sus, big jumps drops fast tight turns. The Chainslap is driving me nuts even with a chainstay protector.

After looking into it more i found the culprit. I ride on the middle ring. Never the big one. So i want to take the big 50 tooth or something ring off and slap on a bashguard and chain guide for 2 ring small and middle. But i can't see any mounting points for a chainguide. Can someone give me ideas? do i need to get a new bb with external cups?

Do i also need a clutch rear mech? I just want the sound of chain slap gone and only there if i hit something very wrong.
I Was thinking that i could install a external cup bb and put a bb mounted chainguide. Of course, with new cranks

Thanks. Merry new years fellow riders!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just remove the big ring, fit a bash, adjust the mech high stop and resize the chain. You already have a chainguide - the front mech.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    That's not going to cure the chainslap- what is it slapping against if you have protected the chainstay? They lower joining bit between the plates of the front mech? Protect that too then. If its not that then I think you have to protect the chainstay better and the seat stay too. A clutch mech will help, but a properly protected bike will be a much cheaper and lower maintenance solution.
  • Cqc wrote:
    That's not going to cure the chainslap- what is it slapping against if you have protected the chainstay? They lower joining bit between the plates of the front mech? Protect that too then. If its not that then I think you have to protect the chainstay better and the seat stay too. A clutch mech will help, but a properly protected bike will be a much cheaper and lower maintenance solution.
    I have a old tube wrapped up completely covering the chainstay in all places. That solved the slap on the chainstay, but i'm getting slap on the side of the big ring when i ride in the middle ring. Thus the reason for converting to 2x9. That paired with a better rear mech should reduce chainslap almost nothing.

I can't seem to find a 9speed clutch rear mech. Do they even make one? thanks.
  • cooldad
    Nope.
    In theory you can use a Sram 9spd shifter, Shimano 10spd clutch+ mech with a 5.5-6mm spacer under the cable.

But I'd look at things like chain length first. Or live with it.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    georgeav wrote:
    i'm getting slap on the side of the big ring when i ride in the middle ring. Thus the reason for converting to 2x9. That paired with a better rear mech should reduce chainslap almost nothing.

I can't seem to find a 9speed clutch rear mech. Do they even make one? thanks.

Very unusual but ok... Don't buy a bash guard though, or the chain will slap against that! Don't do what cooldad says though, whilst what he said is true, it is not worth the cost and complication, as he said, but backing it up. Are you sure it's not that the chain is slapping against the side of the front derailleur and not the outer ring?
  • cooldad
    That's why I said in theory. I wouldn't consider it.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools