If you were in charge...

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited January 2014 in Pro race
Of the Sport of Professional Cycling, and could change anything, no matter how daft or unrealistic, what would you do.

I'd go for

- Only black shorts. You may have a colour panel on the side, but they must be black
- No black jerseys.
- Race leader jerseys will only have the riders sponsor on the front of the jersey, around the centre of the jersey and be only printed in black. Small sponsors logo for the race may be present too
- Helmets optional
- All Grand Tours will have a prologue and a TTT
- TTT will be on the same day as a short road stage
- Novelty Competitions (points / king of mountains) will no longer exist
- Time bonuses in all stage races
- Worlds competed as trade teams
- Worlds within 1 month of TdF (again)
- I'd toy with the idea of salary banding to trying the influence the make up of teams. But then as I'm a capitalist that kind of irks me.
- Minimum number of race starts for each rider per year
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    iainf72 wrote:
    But then as I'm a capitalist that kind of irks me.

You're a capitalist? I'm shocked (or missing something)
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    All decent races must be available to watch in all watch on TV in all decent countries.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • I think the attraction of the sport is the 'lesser' competitions that go alongside the overall, so I think there's a place for points/KOM.

Anyway, I'd like to see all World Tour and ProContinental riders issued with a squad number for the season that is on all their kit including helmet. It's a joke that in 2013/14 you can be watching a televised race and have no clue who the rider on screen is... ok the big names are recognisable but when it comes to domestiques etc... and think of Tour stage 2 when Bakelants was identified by both English-speaking tv commentaries as another rider as that's what the graphic said... Milan-SanRemo was a commentator's nightmare too this year as everyone was wearing gilets.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    I'll address this fully later but my main thing is:

Smaller teams, shorter (more dynamic) races
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    iainf72 wrote:
    Of the Sport of Professional Cycling, and could change anything, no matter how daft or unrealistic, what would you do.

I'd go for

- Only black shorts. You may have a colour panel on the side, but they must be black

- Helmets optional

- All Grand Tours will have a prologue and a TTT

- Worlds within 1 month of TdF (again)

Yes to all of those.
    iainf72 wrote:
    - Worlds competed as trade teams

- Novelty Competitions (points / king of mountains) will no longer exist

- Time bonuses in all stage races

No to those. The points and KOM are so much part of a GT especially. And the worlds is unique and I like it.

Not bothered about the others, except maybe sponsors logos on the back of the leaders jerseys would have to remain.

My wishlist:

-Smaller teams in GTs

-Possible budget capping of teams (relevant to respective levels)

-Vuelta after the worlds

-Split the points competitions in a GT into two - one for sprinters, one for consistency

-Bring back the combined jersey in the TDF simply because it's the coolest jersey of all time.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Anyway, I'd like to see all World Tour and ProContinental riders issued with a squad number for the season that is on all their kit including helmet. It's a joke that in 2013/14 you can be watching a televised race and have no clue who the rider on screen is... ok the big names are recognisable but when it comes to domestiques etc... and think of Tour stage 2 when Bakelants was identified by both English-speaking tv commentaries as another rider as that's what the graphic said... Milan-SanRemo was a commentator's nightmare too this year as everyone was wearing gilets.

That's a good shout.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Ban racing with any kind of power meters or bike computers at all. They don't need to know speed or distance, the DS can yell that at them. Power meters can be used all you like to train with but not for race day.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    I would ban time trial bikes.

I would present rider telemetry during races.

I would fine fans who get in the riders way when they are climbing.

Figure out a way so bad weather doesn't screw up the television coverage.

Place cameras on all the bikes.

More coverage of women's races.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    What are the arguments that helmets should be optional?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,223
    ThomThom wrote:

Looks cooler / easier to spot riders / see how they're doing.
  • rick_chasey
    Teams must have noticeably different kit to one another.

Helmets optional.

Only top 270 riders on UCI points on rolling 12 months to be eligible for whatever GT they're trying to enter.
    Could also do the same for world tour races. If you are a world tour rider you get free entry into any .HC or below race in order to accrue enough points to enter WT races etc.
    Smaller team sizes in stage races.

Each team nominates one rider who can speak and hear team car on radio at start of each race / stage. Said rider gets prominant red dot on back of right shoulder and arse to signify. All other riders only to receive race radio in their ears.

Re introduce the ''world cup" for one dayers and offer chunky cash for it.

Get rid of all team classification competitions.

Remove the ceiling on GT total distance.

Make at least 5 stages in every GT over 250km and no more than 2 mass starts stages under 180.

Have Kom points based on ascent time ranking.

Reduce number of motorcycles that are allowed in amongst the riders.

Tougher enforcement and tighter time cutoffs for GT stages.

Last TT of any TDF to be last day into Paris.

Prominent names on all jerseys.

Rain kit MUST be same colours, look, etc as normal kit. Includes tour jerseys.

... To name a few...
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    Change the TTT to my new format of TT relay. Yes, all 9 riders of each team over a course of, say, 10k. Any missing riders will be replaced by team riders highest in GC riding twice. That should sort the men from the boys, and what a day for the spectators. :lol::lol::lol:
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    Have a race where the teams are picked on the morning of the race.

Everyone lines up and then the team captain pick their team one rider at a time. Just like when you played football in the park as a 10 year old.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    Have a race where the teams are picked on the morning of the race.

Everyone lines up and then the team captain pick their team one rider at a time. Just like when you played football in the park as a 10 year old.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • iainf72 wrote:

I'd go for

- Minimum number of race starts for each rider per year

Very difficult, an abandoners charter which race organisers wouldn't thank you for.

Perhaps it should be necessary for the rider to have completed a minimum number of races in the previous season to qualify for WT races. That would keep them on their toes and make sure that they turn out and ride.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Not any huge changes but for GT's:

- Same rules/jersey competitions within all 3 GT's (including time bonuses for stage wins on all road stages ... It gives the riders something to fight for right up to the finish line and helps nullify someone winning based on just TT performance)

- Any riders re-instated after missing cut have any points for jersey competitions zeroed ... If you weren't good enough to stay in the race, you're not good enough to win anything ...

- All GT's end with a proper stage, finishing on a circuit in the capital city (as per TdF CE finish)

Only other thing I can think of is a World Tour Committee (rather than UCI) ratifying the parcours for national stage races to stop them being 'rigged' for home riders (eg. Fabu's TdSuisse, Wiggins' ToB, ToB being sprint heavy to try and get Cav to win etc.)
  • tailwindhome
    Only other thing I can think of is a World Tour Committee (rather than UCI) ratifying the parcours for national stage races to stop them being 'rigged' for home riders (eg. Fabu's TdSuisse, Wiggins' ToB, ToB being sprint heavy to try and get Cav to win etc.)

Difficult to strike a balance between being rigged enough for them to win and rigged enough for them to turn up and generate the interest for sponsors/ 'casual' fans
  • Only other thing I can think of is a World Tour Committee (rather than UCI) ratifying the parcours for national stage races to stop them being 'rigged' for home riders (eg. Fabu's TdSuisse, Wiggins' ToB, ToB being sprint heavy to try and get Cav to win etc.)

Difficult to strike a balance between being rigged enough for them to win and rigged enough for them to turn up and generate the interest for sponsors/ 'casual' fans

Agreed ... but then a Frenchman hasn't won the TdF for >25 years and that still works ...
  • thomthom
    ThomThom wrote:

'Looks cooler' - After a crash or..?

'Easier to spot' - Unless you are Brochard it will be just the same from a helicopter view. Especially when they'd all bring that white cap on instead.

'See how they are doing' - What? It's not a face mask?
  • gpreeves
    gpreeves Posts: 454
    ThomThom wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:

'Easier to spot' - Unless you are Brochard it will be just the same from a helicopter view. Especially when they'd all bring that white cap on instead.

Could we not solve the rider identification problem by requiring each member of a team to wear a helmet with a different pattern? Something along the lines of jockeys' racing colours, but restricted to the helmet, could work...

Edit: Having said this, I wouldn't mind if riders were allowed to take off their helmets on the final climb of a stage, provided there were no flats/descents during or after the climb. You could even argue that this would be safer than the current rule, as riders would be less likely to overheat.
  • rick_chasey
    I would give myself veto for any parcours for any race.

And take back the 'old' Flanders route.
  • rick_chasey
    gpreeves wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:

Could we not solve the rider identification problem by requiring each member of a team to wear a helmet with a different pattern? Something along the lines of jockeys' racing colours, but restricted to the helmet, could work...

Edit: Having said this, I wouldn't mind if riders were allowed to take off their helmets on the final climb of a stage, provided there were no flats/descents during or after the climb. You could even argue that this would be safer than the current rule, as riders would be less likely to overheat.

This has been done and it didn't work.
  • rick_chasey
    ThomThom wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:

I guess you never watched cycling before 2002 or whenever it was.
  • And take back the 'old' Flanders route.

I had the opportunity to sign a petition to keep the finale in Ninove, but decided against it as it's a shxthole, while Oudenaarde is a bit better... Didn't know that would mean no Kapelmuur... and a three laps circuit instead. I thought they could be creative and keep the Muur, which was the icon of the race
    left the forum March 2023
  • rick_chasey
    You sure you want to admit to that?? ;-)
  • rick_chasey
    I'd get rid of all bike computers in races too.

I don't use them so they don't need to.
  • rick_chasey
    Cameras in all team cars too.

Few small cameras on riders too.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Every grand tour should have a prologue. A: Because it's cool and B: Because it stops all the silly business that we saw this year on the first few stages.

Riders should keep the same number all season, custom numbers like in moto gp should be encouraged along with fancy paint schemes on bikes and helmets to help distinguish the riders from each other

Leaders shorts should always be black to avoid hideous polka dot shorts mishaps.

Transponders and cameras on bikes to avoid cack time reporting and also show great footage. Booth weigh hardly anything and wouldn't be too hard to achieve. Bikes without cameras would carry ballast.

Broadcastable team radio (On a delay)

Work out a system that transmits images on days with inclement weather so you don't miss half the race (Like the giro this year)

Let the riders actually rest on a rest day. Too much stress for the leader, guy in second has much less pressure.

Have a proper tour in Germany, with all the bikes coming out of Germany at the moment there must be some interest mounting in a tour. Great scenery but it would have to have a few sprint stages so the local boys like Greipel and Kittel can win a few in front of the home crowd
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    Helmet use left up to the individual rider. Also, names on back of jerseys, like Pantani's team tried a couple of times.
  • thomthom
    ThomThom wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:

I guess you never watched cycling before 2002 or whenever it was.

Oh, I did. But people died on the bike so they chose give them this piece on the head as extra precaution...