Specialized Carve Becomes ON-ONE inbred 29

waverider
waverider Posts: 25
edited January 2014 in Your mountain bikes
My current steed - with some upgrades since I got it.

image_zps493d094d.jpg

Stock comp level drive train and brakes with...
Black Spire 750mm riser bars
Outland d31eight 70mm stem
Tmars dropper seatpost
Superstar lock on grips
Rock shox xc 32 solo air 100mm forks
Dmr v8 acid red peds, or crank brother mallets depending on what I'm doing.

Comments

• Cool.

I'm a big Carve fan. Wasn't that the model that came with an 80mm coil fork originally? How has moving to 100mm changed things?
  • Cheers super dee. I wasn't sure about it, but saw some other folk online trying it on the 2012 frames, so got some forks online for a good price. Really helps with the down hills, and is much better being an air shock over the coil sprung one, although that wasn't bad either.

Handling uphill can be a bit twitchier I guess, but I like the feel of the wider bar shorter stem, seems to work ok for me!
  • I'd seen the model you have when collecting my fs camber and it kept nagging me! So just over a year later, in the sales, I grab a Carve. I've gone very xc on mine (ie. bar ends, etc)

That has also given me the opportunity to focus the fs as more trail then xc.

Can I grab some feedback on the dropper please, I'm after one for the camber but don't want to spend loads.
  • The dropper is great for the price. Not as slick as the likes of reverbs etc. But at 80 odd quid, it is a really great addition to the bike. I ve had it for 6 weeks or so now. Nice that it provides a 27.2mm seat tube frame the option of a dropper.

I have tried to be a bit more trail orientated with my bike, but without straying too far from its xc roots. After all, it's not a slack angled hooligan of a frame! Seems to take a hammering ok so far!
  • Thanks.

I'd fit the dropper to the Camber which has a 30.9 seat tube which means I'd have to use a shim, which I'm not 100% confident in. However, I don't want to spend loads and the Tmars and the new Raleigh RSP one appeal. Also I like the simple design.

That will leave me the Carve for proper XC stuff and long trips where the bar ends help out (extra hand position). I've also just added a k-edge garmin mount too.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Shims work fine.......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Certainly my plan, if I put the post on another bike is to use a shim, and have no reason not to trust it would be ok. I am considering changing the frame to an on one inbred, fancy a steel hardtail, so no need in that case!
  • waverider wrote:
    Certainly my plan, if I put the post on another bike is to use a shim, and have no reason not to trust it would be ok. I am considering changing the frame to an on one inbred, fancy a steel hardtail, so no need in that case!

I'd rather keep the Carve tbh, although if steel calls that strongly then I'd say Cotic Solaris all the way.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I have a 2013 Carve and it is great for XC and general trail riding. Very nice handling bike which you can push to its handling limits while still being in control.
  • Kajjal wrote:
    I have a 2013 Carve and it is great for XC and general trail riding. Very nice handling bike which you can push to its handling limits while still being in control.

Is yours stock? Any thread on it?

Mine is a '13 Expert. Mine is pretty stock, just grips and bar ends plus my choice of pedals. Anything else was just accessories ie bottle cage, chainstay protector and garmin mount.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Super Dee wrote:
    Kajjal wrote:

Is yours stock? Any thread on it?

Mine is a '13 Expert. Mine is pretty stock, just grips and bar ends plus my choice of pedals. Anything else was just accessories ie bottle cage, chainstay protector and garmin mount.

You caught me there I did put some proper flat pedals on it ;)

Apart from that nothing has been changed only the garmin mount and bottle cages added the same as yours :)
  • I have the same bike, but I havee also swapped the forks, I went with 100mm Reba's, the stock forks where nasty (I'm over 100kilos......)

I was unsure of it a first, but 3000miles down the road, it would need to be a special bike to get me to part with any cash
  • So a change of theme for 2014, with a new frame, ON-ONE inbred 29, and the plan to be a bit more aggressive with the riding. So far really enjoyed it off road, very different feel than the carve. Same spec, with a couple of changes.

image_zps5521aa26.jpg

Upgraded to a front chain device, plan to 10 speed in the near future.

image_zpsf087303a.jpg

Got it muddy!

image_zps4b3293ef.jpg