Changing from 7 speed to 8,9 or 10 speed

fin123
fin123 Posts: 7
edited December 2013 in Workshop
I have a 7 speed Scott Speedster 60 and would like to upgrade the relatively basic drivetrain, however, it's a 7 speed and it's near impossible to find any 7 speed chainsets or rear dérailleurs. I'm looking to install a new cassette, chainset and rear derailleur, would I have to change my shifters and front derailleur too? Also, is it possible to change from a 7 speed to an 8 speed without having to change shifters?

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    You're looking at pretty well an entire new transmission including rear hub/wheel if you want to go 9 or 10 speed.
    If you want 8 speed, you need to change the rear shifter, cassette and chain but can keep everything else. The 7 speed gear mechs will work fine with 8 speed but will struggle with 9/10 due to the narrower chain.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • I thought 8 and 9 speed cassettes was the same width, they are on mtb because if you wanted to use a 7 speed on a 9 speed hub you needed a spacer. May be different on a roadie???
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Perhaps a better question to ask is, what are you aiming to achieve by upgrading?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}