Turbo or Rollers help!

tomvaleo
tomvaleo Posts: 20
edited December 2013 in Health, fitness & training
Hi, I'm a 19 year old cyclist who started cycling last summer with the ambition to start racing in the spring and I am puzzled between getting rollers or a turbo trainer. I'm not bothered by the threat of falling over on rollers or the noise levels of a turbo.
I have seen a few posts about it but it would be nice to read updated thoughts on the discussion.
I also have a budget of around £150.

Which one is going to improve my cycling the most and could anyone give me advice on which way to go?

Many thanks
Tom

Comments

• Get a turbo. They provide higher resistances, variable resistances, and are generally better for a fuller range of sessions than rollers. Rollers do have upsides, but I think a turbo has more to offer. Some folk may prefer rollers, and I don't have a lot of experience with them. But from my own research this was the conclusion I came too.
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    There is a thread on this every week, so just do a search and find the same views on both expressed over and over again.
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • YellaBelly wrote:
    Get a turbo. They provide higher resistances, variable resistances, and are generally better for a fuller range of sessions than rollers. Rollers do have upsides, but I think a turbo has more to offer. Some folk may prefer rollers, and I don't have a lot of experience with them. But from my own research this was the conclusion I came too.

Basically this, I use both and as already commented there both good for different reasons but as a training aid for racing and on a £150 budget a turbo is definitely your best option also really look hard before buying one as lots of deals out there at the moment so buy the best you can also check out ebay you can pick up some awesome deals as people buy them start using them realize it hurts then sell it.
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB