Can get back out .....at last.

Toe knee
Toe knee Posts: 525
edited December 2013 in Road beginners
Hi all,

If you have read any of my previous posts you would have seen that in august I had to sell my dale synapse to help my son pay an unexpected rent demand in university, since then , to say I have been depressed without a bike is an under statement, and just haven't had the funds for another one.

Well I was having a look in my LBS on wed , as he sometimes has second hand bikes for sale, and I seen a spesh Allez,
For sale , and he wanted £215 for it, loved it straight away, and thought that would do me fine to get back out over the winter, anyway managed to reduce the price to £190, then the obvious thought of paying for it entered my head, then as good timing would have it my son rang me from work , and told him about it, mmmm........... He said. Next to ring was my son in university, having spoke to his brother, he said get it and they will buy it for me for Christmas between them, so I am over the moon, pick it up on Friday, with a service included. Now to get out on these fresh winter days , and get my miles back in, and lose this weight I have put back on. Thanks lads. :D

The said bike. -

20131210_123149_zpsa7595843.jpg

Had to share, thanks

Tony. :D

Comments

• Good news. Hopefully the weather will hold up too so you can get out on it.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Great news. The forecast rain over the next few days should help wash away some of that horrible greasy salt and make the roads a lot safer too. Just be careful when working on the limits as you may find that you have less traction than the last time you were out.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Excellent news.. A reward for your generosity
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Nice one, good lads you have there.
  • milleman
    milleman Posts: 181
    Good news, I know what you mean about not being on a bike for a while....I get stir crazy if I cant get out..
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924
    That's the way families should be.... nice one... I'm pleased for you... now get those legs moving. :)
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • Toe knee
    Toe knee Posts: 525
    Hi all,

It is august since I last got out on a bike , and at that point had got to just under the 30 mile point, now with it been 4 months since this, when I go back out. ( tomorrow hopefully ) will my previous bike fitness have totally disappeared, or instead of starting from scratch again, ( 4-5 miles to begin with ) could I go out and try maybe 10-12 miles , without doing to much damage, I only ask as been eager to get out again, I don't want to over do it, and injure myself, as said I'm not really sure how quickly your body looses it's fitness level that was previously reached.
    And if it is to be the gentle return back to fitness, any wirral riders got any, nice flat routes to share with me.

Thanks all
    Tony.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I think that it is something like after 3-6 months your body is back to the condition where it was before you started any cycling. If that is right, you should find yourself somewhere in which your mind will be willing but the flesh will be weak!

Take it easy to start with, build up mileage as you don't want to risk an injury. Then again, I always ignore the 'take it easy' advice. Why not do a couple of flat loops of about 5 miles? If you feel you have had enough after a couple then you can just call it quits, then again if you have a bit more in the tank then an extra 5 miles shouldn't hurt...or maybe yet one more loop for luck.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    I think this is a great story, and well done to the OP!

No read advice to give, as it all depends so much on your general fitness as well as your local terrain, but it's nice to see you got a good bike back in the end! Enjoy every minute of it:-)
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    I've been off the bike for nearly 18 months and am actually surprised at how well I'm feeling during and after rides. My last 'proper ride' was 68 miles of Cornish coastline at 19mph average, now after injury, shocking weather, new parenthood and emigrating to the other side of the world I'm just slowly building back up. I'm all in kms now, but first ride was 8km just testing I reassembled bike correctly, then a couple of 15kms, a few 24s and most so far is 44km in just under 2 hours. Setting no world records but at the beginning I just want to enjoy the bike, find some new routes and build up my base fitness, the rest will come is my thinking.