What's your Christmas present to yourself this year?

Comments

• jordan_217 wrote:
    Nairnster wrote:
    Lol, I don't think I would have a girlfriend if I did that for a bike ;)

In all seriousness, I am planning to propose next week, and if she says yes, that will be the best Christmas present ever for me.

Good luck fella. You're in Nairn right? Funnily enough, I proposed to my Missus when we were at Kinloss, we got married in Forres and had the reception at the Ramnee Hotel. (apologies if you don't live in Nairn, this will all be bollox!)

Used to live in Nairn , Inverness now though. Did work in Forres, and have eaten at the Ramnee.

Were you in the forces at Kinloss then?
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Nairnster wrote:
    jordan_217 wrote:
    Nairnster wrote:
    Lol, I don't think I would have a girlfriend if I did that for a bike ;)

In all seriousness, I am planning to propose next week, and if she says yes, that will be the best Christmas present ever for me.

Good luck fella. You're in Nairn right? Funnily enough, I proposed to my Missus when we were at Kinloss, we got married in Forres and had the reception at the Ramnee Hotel. (apologies if you don't live in Nairn, this will all be bollox!)

Used to live in Nairn , Inverness now though. Did work in Forres, and have eaten at the Ramnee.

Were you in the forces at Kinloss then?

Yes, was in the RAF and based at Kinloss from '99-'03. Really liked the Moray area and am planning to go up there for our 13th anniversary next July. Though, it won't be a romantic affair as we're taking the kids as I think they'll love it. It wasn't until I got posted down South that I realised just how nice a place it was. (Just a PITA when I wanted to drive anywhere south of Grantown)
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Aye it's a very nice area, I was at Lossiemouth 02 to 07 when I was made redundant.

Yeah, the drive down south can indeed be a pain.

Well from one ex Airman to another (unless you were an officer of course), have a great Christmas, and that goes to everyone else too.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Nairnster wrote:
    Aye it's a very nice area, I was at Lossiemouth 02 to 07 when I was made redundant.

Yeah, the drive down south can indeed be a pain.

Well from one ex Airman to another (unless you were an officer of course), have a great Christmas, and that goes to everyone else too.

Defo not an Officer, I have common sense :wink:

All the best to you for Xmas, I hope the proposal works out (meaning she says no and saves you years of torment and emotional anguish! :D )
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • A Kask Mojito Helmet in White :)
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    @n ... Aww, beat post I've seen for a while. Hope it goes well
  • A Kask Mojito Helmet in White :)

Cracking! I have got the same coming tomorrow; or so I believe :wink:
  • upsfon
    upsfon Posts: 13
    In my case it was:
    Boardman SLR 9.0 - my first carbon road bike ever!
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/boardman-slr-90/
    + additional wheelset Campagnolo Shamal Ultra
    http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k632/a ... imano.html
    ...Just could not resist temptation seeing these good discounts :D:D:D
    And now waiting spring to come sooner to spin her! :)
  • smidsy wrote:
    I have avoided cycling related xmas purchases due to recent house move so my focus has been on DIY (I know, I know).

This has resulted in my 1st ever Makita Cordless Drill /Driver and 100 piece accessories set, along with 2 lithium ion batteries and apprporpriate 30 min charger.

As far as power tools go it is very good.

Did you get their new brushless one? It's meant to be great. I'm waiting for mine to die so I can buy one :)
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster"
  • Brant
    Brant Posts: 41
    Hi folks, first post, go easy :lol:

Present to myself this year is getting back into my cycling again after time out since I was knocked off and quite badly hurt. Went out for a tentative (very short) Boxing Day ride, first in a while and it felt good, except when I tried going up a decent sized hill.

I had been looking longingly at my bike in the garage for a while but never seemed to get up the motivation to take it out, mostly down to hesitance after being hit and lack of trust in drivers, I drive and every day I'm in the car you see some sort of stupidity (applies to the bikes too of course!)

Should have a hefty insurance payout coming soon when I can get some replacement goodies for my damaged kit, should be more incentive to keep with it.

Thanks!
  • Jon_1976
    Jon_1976 Posts: 690
    Bought myself a set of Fulcrum Racing 7. Needed a cheap wheel set and at £96 it seemed rude not to
  • Bought myself a Colnago AC-R frame set as a treat, won't be here till end Jan/early Feb though!
  • Decided to treat myself to a 2013 Felt F6 from wiggle. I've been looking at the 2014 f75 since it appeared recently, but it seemed a better decision to get the f6 instead, saving a whack since it's last years. Sram Apex was a bit of an issue but since reading up on it I'm desperate to try it out. Also excited to be joining the world of carbon bikes, thanks Mr. MasterCard!

C60273E6-9CA7-4B9F-871F-7FDEF68B0636.jpg
  • Brant
    Decided to treat myself to a 2013 Felt F6 from wiggle. I've been looking at the 2014 f75 since it appeared recently, but it seemed a better decision to get the f6 instead, saving a whack since it's last years. Sram Apex was a bit of an issue but since reading up on it I'm desperate to try it out. Also excited to be joining the world of carbon bikes, thanks Mr. MasterCard!

C60273E6-9CA7-4B9F-871F-7FDEF68B0636.jpg

Will you be dressing up as a bee/wasp when you ride that?

P.S. I like... nice bike.
  • Yip, colour was a down point but when it's nearly half price I'd take it in pink!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Doing the last bit of Xmas shopping on Tuesday so I bought myself a pair of 501s, my other pair needed washing and I'd left it too late as I needed them clean for Xmas day.
    Boxing Day saw me buying a Samsung Tab3 7", only went in PCW to look at the 10" version but is was too big for my hand whereas the 7" fitted perfectly.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • After a 5hit year and realising you cant take it with you and a brutal lesson in how short life is and you never know whats round the corner im living for the moment from now on. This is my xmas present to myself and as soon as i get back to mallorca next month. Always like the idea of a shiv. This one has sram red and zipp r2c shifters on it and goes like hell. Took it out today for a quick 70 miler and was very impressed.

image_zps949d9a75.jpg
  • Jon_1976 wrote:
    Bought myself a set of Fulcrum Racing 7. Needed a cheap wheel set and at £96 it seemed rude not to

I done the same. My 2nd set of 7s excellent wheels and at merlins price it was too good to pass.
  • rob21
    rob21 Posts: 284
    Kask K50 Road Helmet...
  • Also gone down the wheel upgrade route - a pair of Campagnolo Zondas clinchers for my Giant Defy Composite 1, huge bargain at just £252 delivered from Geoffrey Butler cycles. Currently on sale for £310 (list price £360) at Wiggle.

Not arrived yet but will be shod with a new pair of 25mm Conti GP4000s from the sale at Probikekit to which I added some Cinelli gel bar tape to get me over £50, thus qualifying for a 15% voucher code discount (RADAR15). Total cost for two tyres and the gel tape just £51.47 - list price for one tyre is £45.

Don'tcha just love the sales :D
    It's sad how Wile E. Coyote is remembered for his violence, and not for his brilliantly realistic paintings of tunnels.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    17ft of carbon fibre - not a bike, but a custom built flatwater racing kayak:

UnaEws2l.jpg?2
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    one of these see below,and a set of new XT brakes for my mountain bike
  • That kayak monty looks incredible! Would love a go in that. Enjoy
  • Brant
    rob21 wrote:
    Kask K50 Road Helmet...

Oof, nice, how is it? Just got a mojito in white, very nice lid that you forget is on your head, love the adjustment system.
  • rob21
    Brant wrote:
    rob21 wrote:
    Kask K50 Road Helmet...

Oof, nice, how is it? Just got a mojito in white, very nice lid that you forget is on your head, love the adjustment system.
    love it fits very well and as you said you forget your wearing it,best helmet Ive had by a mile :D
  • rob21
    SRAM QuickView Computer Mount.. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sram-quickview-computer-mount/
    decent price at £11 but not sure of the quality being delivered today.
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    A Cervelo S5 with Ultegra Di2 :lol:

(Thanks for the heads up NapD,will PM you when I'm able to)
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • I ordered myself a wall mount for one of my bikes, a few small bits and some energy gels.

Good stuff.

I also got a bunch of other stuff from the family, but none of it was bike related.
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Haven't bought it yet, but pretty boring - I'm going to stock up on chains and cassettes - out of work in January, so I don't know when I'll be able to afford essential consumables again. I'd love something from the Rapha sale, but may have to wait.

I am planning a retirement bike when I get what's left of my redundancy payment, but most of this is going to buy extra years' pension. If we can sell the house and trade down quickly there may be a very nice retirement bike in the offing, fingers crossed!
  • Some chainn lube ohh and a pair of michelin pro 4 tyres in the wiggle sale .
    And , a Craft moving wing technology base layer for £17 from TK max at Scarborough , would have got the Craft summer
    base layer as well for £7 in the sale but was in Small.
    all the best and a happy new year
    reagrds
    ILG