Is it just me?

LittlePlums
LittlePlums Posts: 139
edited December 2013 in The cake stop
Yes, I did subscribe to receive "news" from various cycling retailers and yes, I do appreciate that not every cyclist celebrates Christmas, but FFS, can the likes of Cycle Surgery, Wiggle et al not give it a break with their email marketing for just one day a year?

If my phone "pings" at me on Christmas day, I expect it to be friends or family wishing me glad tidings, not that someone is still trying to shift last year's stock and that their "sale" starts Boxing Day.

Grrrrrrrr!
Pride and joy: Bianchi Sempre
Commuting hack: Cube Nature

Comments

• There are only galaxy caramels left in my box of celebrations
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles

That certainly puts my woes into perspective.
    Pride and joy: Bianchi Sempre
    Commuting hack: Cube Nature

Swap these for the left over bounties in my box.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    I think that's how online marketing works now - bombard customers with as many vague emails as possible and eventually someone will give in and buy something.

I've found the 'unsubscribe' and 'block sender' buttons really useful this year...
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    They haven't called me but have bombarded me with useless emails
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    I got six Toblerones.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,433
    i got some fortnum & mason piccoli florentines (dark choc of course), even better than the godiva orangettes (which tbh could do with being a bit more tangy)

only downside is i think i'll be gaining a kilo, fast

nom nom nom
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • I'm on holiday in Austria, and in the space of 2 weeks have now gained 7kg. Need my bike!
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    meursault wrote:
    I got six Toblerones.

raise a pork pie
  • I'm on holiday in Austria, and in the space of 2 weeks have now gained 7kg. Need my bike!

Now I know everyone likes to let loose a bit on holiday but crikey...7kg in a fortnight! Have you actually left any food in Austria for anyone else??

Now I know everyone likes to let loose a bit on holiday but crikey...7kg in a fortnight! Have you actually left any food in Austria for anyone else??

TBH, no I havn't. I only get certain dishes here, and I always have a habit of over eating which is never a problem in the UK as i'm on the bike so much. Dishes like Leberkaese which are not able to be cooked at home in the UK create large cravings for me which I must fill while here. And it's christmas time so alcohol consumption goes through the roof. I drink more in 2 weeks here at this time of year than I do in an entire year in the UK, partly because I don't have to drive or do exercise :D
  • Actually I was going to ask about the cuisine and why it tempts one into over-indulgence so much, I don't really know any dishes from that region.
  • Actually I was going to ask about the cuisine and why it tempts one into over-indulgence so much, I don't really know any dishes from that region.

Most of the stuff is fairly fatty. Some examples:

These are Käsekrainer. Cheese filled sausages which are amazing. I have only found them to buy in the UK in one store in Central London. There are about 10 other types of sausages I love here in Austria, but I won't bother listing them all.
    http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%A4sekrainer

This is Schnitzl. It is amazing.
    http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schnitzel

This is Cordon Bleu, it is basically a schnitzel but filled with Ham and Cheese. Even more amazing than schnitzel on its own.
    http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schnitzel_Cordon_bleu

This is Schweinsbraten. It is one of the most tender meats you can possibly ever eat,throw in a few bread dumplings with the Sauce and you have an amazing meal.
    http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schweinsbraten

On top of that each and every Supermarket has a Sandwich section where you can buy a Sandwich made to order for silly cheap with anything type of cheese and meat you want. An example of one of the Counters is on this page. If you scroll to the second Image you can see the Array of meats available, and you just do not get the same selection in the UK.
    http://wolfgangsee.salzkammergut.at/inf ... trobl.html

And those are only few of the items I love here that I can't get back in the UK. Sorry for spelling mistakes, i'm on an Austrian Computer and autocorrect keeps trying to correct to German.
  • I should also add that I never gain weight when i'm here in the summer as I spend so much time riding out here. Cambridge has no MTB trails, so I have to enjoy them while I can.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Yes, I did subscribe to receive "news" from various cycling retailers and yes, I do appreciate that not every cyclist celebrates Christmas, but FFS, can the likes of Cycle Surgery, Wiggle et al not give it a break with their email marketing for just one day a year?

If my phone "pings" at me on Christmas day, I expect it to be friends or family wishing me glad tidings, not that someone is still trying to shift last year's stock and that their "sale" starts Boxing Day.

Grrrrrrrr!

Yes it is you.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I'm on holiday in Austria, and in the space of 2 weeks have now gained 7kg. Need my bike!

Man flu and festive eating / drinking did similar to me.