38t cassette?

Cipollini
Cipollini Posts: 255
edited January 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I know sram do the huge cassette range of 11-42 but do any other companies do soething along them lines. Recently bought a 29er with 10x3. Wanted to make it 10x1. Wanted something slightly larger than the 36 on the rear. Ideally a 38. Any suggestions. I've got an XT cassette so pretty sure the top 3 sprockets are all joined do any companies make a set up so i could just replace the top 3 of the cassette?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    There are options, such as the general Lee or a single large ring and then you remove two from the middle of the cassette and replace with one gear, personaly I'd just fit a slightly smaller chainring for a 29er, say a 30t instead of a 32t for similar effect but cheaper.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Have you seen this?

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/artic ... ook-39168/

More gear than you require but maybe they do a smaller one?
  • That's the sort of thing that i was looking for. Hopefully the do a slightly smaller one.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    A 38 wouldn't really be worthwhile, only half a gear bigger than the 36.

KCNC do an 11-38, but they're expensive and crap.
  • Cipollini
    Cipollini Posts: 255
    njee20 wrote:
    A 38 wouldn't really be worthwhile, only half a gear bigger than the 36.

KCNC do an 11-38, but they're expensive and crap.

That half a gear might just make the difference though. Just seen the price of them at £379 i would rather try a little harder in bigger gear. Good for a weight weenie though!!