Terry Dolan - My cheap Lockup/Pub bike

Meirionatron
Meirionatron Posts: 154
edited December 2013 in Your road bikes
DSCF6463.JPG

DSCF6465.JPG

DSCF6466.JPG

Frame: Terry Dolan Winter Frame (59cm tt, 62cm st)
Forks: 1" Carbon Threadless Winter Fork
Bars: ITM 42cm
Stem: Planet X 110mm (17deg)
Headset: Ritchey 1" Threadless
Bar Tape: Red Cotton (best I have found for gloveless riding, well except lizard skins but that is £25 a roll and wears out rather quickly)

Brake Calipers: Front: Shimano Ultegra, Rear: Decathlon - Both with Koolstop Salmons
Shifters: Shimano 2300
Cables: Jagwire
Front Mech: Campagnolo Daytona
Rear Mech: Shimano Ultegra 6500

Seat: Fizik Aliante
Seat Post: Thomson Elite

Cranks: Truvativ Elita 175mm Compact (50/34)
Chain: Sram 8 Speed
Cassette: Sram 11-32 8 Speed (Suprisingly it does work with the short cage Ultegra mech, and I can get all of the gears!)
Pedals: Wellgo Platform
Bottom Bracket: Sram GXP

Wheelset: Mavic Cosmos (Rear rim replaced with CXP22, these are my old winter wheels)
Tubes: Continental
Tyres: Vittoria Rubino Pro 23mm
Mudguards: SKS Chromoplastics

All in this bike cost around £80 (without wheels, tyres, saddle and stem which I already had). I wanted a bike I would be happy to lockup at the supermarket or in town, which has mudguard and rack mounts and not too heavy (it's about 9.5kg without the pannier rack), plus I will use this to commute to work on those days I fancy a change from my winter bike :)

I know people are going to hate on it but I like it, it rides nice and fits the needs I had, plus it was rather cheap; I have spent more on a pair of tyres for my summer bike in the past.

Comments

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    I like it, but it would be better without the fancy galvanised outrigger thing.
  • The sidecar you mean?
  • What's to hate?

I have a very similar bike that I was using as a winter bike. Mine's got yellow lettering, black saddle and bars and a Look fork, 105 gearing and cxp30 rims.

I wouldn't say I love it, but it's served a purpose and isn't a bad bike. I've just replaced it with a carbon CX bike (an On One Dirty Disco) just because I wanted something a bit sexier (and the DD is matte carbon), that I could take off road when I wanted to.
  • Functionality is highly underrated! Nice bike!