The Single Malt thread!

crom7
crom7 Posts: 83
edited January 2014 in The cake stop
So, my lovely wife and kids gave me a bottle of Glenmorangie for my birthday and since it's nearly Christmas...and if like me you're hoping to have something golden in your stocking... i"m wondering what your favourite single malt is.

Mine:
Number 1 - Laphroaig
Numer 2 - Glenmorangie
Number 3 - Penderyn

wishing you a merry Christmas.

Comments

• awallace
    awallace Posts: 191
    The best ive had is Glenfiddich 30 year old but only had a dram. I like my Speysides, and like the Glenmorangie and Glenfiddich variations like the Rich Oak.

This sounds interesting

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ji ... 14-2952491
  • 47p2
    47p2 Posts: 329
    Auchentoshan Three Wood

Click
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,728
    I have tried many, many whiskies and tastes vary from person to person.
    With that in mind without any doubt, out of all that I have had the pleasure to sample, this is by far my favourite -
    http://www.whisky-onlineauctions.com/ma ... -2004.html
    The Macallan 1938.

It is only for a special occasion dram though.

As a day to day tipple, then my current favourite is the Glenlivet 18 year old.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Glenfarclas 40 year old. Absolute nectar.
    There's warp speed - then there's Storck Speed
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    47p2 wrote:
    Auchentoshan Three Wood

Excellent choice. Might I add, as a complete contrast, Ardbeg Uigeadail. Holy smoke indeed!
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Bowmore for me please.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    Either a Dalmore 18 year old or Alexander 111.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • my current fav is glenmorangie eleanta, 19 year old nectar, unfortunatly it was a limited run and is sold out, only got 2 bottles left, other fav is macallan 25 year old
    dont only ride a bike
  • Not a whisky drinker, but my pal's in the booze dealing business and manages Old Pulteney amongst others. Had some of this a few months back and really liked it

http://www.oldpulteney.com/old-pulteney ... ngle-malt/
  • I do enjoy the occasional whisky. I bought a bottle of Glenfiddich 15 year old Solera Vat a while back and had a couple last week. Smooth and a bit honey-ish. Delicious.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • I second the Glenfarclas, will probably have a dram or two tonight.
    think Singleton deserves an honourable mention and to push the boat out woodford reserve single bourbon...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,471
    I like an Irish myself, usually Jamesons but I won't turn away a Dalwinnie 15 year or Oban 18 year if anyone's offering.
  • ianbz
    ianbz Posts: 27
    Tallisker all the way!
  • I have two cabinets in my dining room, in which I keep about 20 different single malts on the go at any one time.

The idea of picking a single favourite out of all those is just too hard. So mood dependent.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,857
    Lagavullin. No contest, even if subtlety isn't the first word to come to mind.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Dalwhinnie for me please !
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    MattC59 wrote:
    Dalwhinnie for me please !

+1

The best I've had was a Rosebank 22yr 1981, because of the price it took a while to build up the courage to drink it. Days like that are long gone but I still like Dalwhinnie or a 10 year Ardbeg.
  • I cant believe I've read so far down this thread and not seen 'Highland Park' mentioned once.

HP12/18, Yamazaki 18 is up there too.

Anything over 30 years is a separate type of drink altogher imo
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,452
    Lagavullin. No contest, even if subtlety isn't the first word to come to mind.
    Lagavulin 16 yo - nectar of the Gods.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Balvennie (any of them)
  • pblakeney
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Springbank - but not found any I can afford lately! And Cameron Brig single grain whisky. That's rather nice. And the peaty stuff from the islands.
    PBlakeney wrote:

At that price, if each bottle was served by it's own 18 year old naked Highland virgin I'm still not sure it would be a bargain!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • pblakeney
    Rolf F wrote:
    At that price, if each bottle was served by it's own 18 year old naked Highland virgin I'm still not sure it would be a bargain!
    It is all relative dear boy!

I am not sure about the desire for an 18 year old Highland virgin either. There may well be a reason for them still being a virgin at 18. Picture Susan Boyle, she is not a Highlander but is an example of someone remaining a virgin.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • 1 Ardbeg Supernova
    2 Laphroaig (Any)
    3 Glencadam 15yo
    At the erse end o' a coo!
  • 1. Glen Goyne
    2. Glen Livet
    3. Glenfarclas 21 year old.

Normally take with ice.
  • awallace
    awallace Posts: 191
    This website is good for trying different whiskies but more affordably

http://www.masterofmalt.com/samples/whi ... /speyside/

And then there are the whisky aged beers too....

http://beersiveknown.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... -beer.html

http://www.sinclairbreweries.co.uk/spec ... serve.html
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    Depends on the mood, celebrated graduating in Knockando with my dad, so that holds happy memories

Not a fan of Glenfiddich 12 yr old, too bland, but the older ones have some character.

Another vote for highland park and ardbeg, but to be honest I quite like getting different ones! it seems a shame to have so many and always drink the same.
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    Normally take with ice.

You are hereby barred from the Cake Stop Malt Whisky Society. Please take your bottles and leave! Well, except the Glenlivet, especially if it's the 15 French Oak. Actually, you can leave the others too. OK, you can stay if you don't suggest mixing it with Coke.
  • RDW wrote:
    Normally take with ice.

You are hereby barred from the Cake Stop Malt Whisky Society. Please take your bottles and leave! Well, except the Glenlivet, especially if it's the 15 French Oak. Actually, you can leave the others too. OK, you can stay if you don't suggest mixing it with Coke.

I only started having it with ice after a bloke who sells it for a living recommended it, especially the Speyside malts, as it enhances the flavours. Not sure if he was correct but I like it!