Presta for schrader?

TomTheHairyBiker
TomTheHairyBiker Posts: 22
edited December 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

after having some trouble getting a continental MK2 to settle tubeless on my arch ex's it finally did whilst i was out on the trail pulled over on the side pumping furiously away! Unfortunately however, in all my vigour pumping i snapped the little s*** and had the rest of the day on an slightly low pressure tyre.

Now, my question is, is it possible to swap over the presto valves on my arch ex's for a stronger schrader valve in tubeless format such as these?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/no-f ... -prod94761

Any information would be appreciated!

Merry Christmas,
Tom.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Will a Shraeder valve fit through your rim? If the Presta only just fitted, then no.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I read that somebody had some stans alpines bored out by a shop so they would take schrader's, so thats a possibility?

I just feel that the presta valves are far too weak for general use? Am i ham fisted or is there a certain pump that is better to stop them snapping?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Ham fisted I'd say. Merry Xmas.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No need for a pump that stops them snapping, just needs putting on properly.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Well thats settled then, I've got hands like clubs!

Merry christmas!
  • Go with the rim, both as good as eachother