Kazza the Tranny

VWsurfbum
VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
edited August 2014 in Your mountain bikes
So i decided to sell two of my bikes and build one, one was an Enduro 150mm and one is a 120mm 29er.

Unlike me, i did lots of reading and research and even a test ride. then bought something different ;)
On the test ride the Carbine 29 had a set of pikes on it, they were so confidence inspiring, i decided what ever bike i built they were definatly going to be a must. The Carbine was lovely and rode well but for the money i just couldnt justify what the build would come out at.
Then as if by magic this turned up.
436-Covert29-1.jpg
took a few weeks to go down and look at it, but eventually felt it in my hands, not the lightest of beast but felt very sturdy.
Got it home and started to search out the Forks, Wanted White ones to match the frame but the 160's only come in black as far as i can tell? So ordered these
788605d1365450818-new-rock-shox-pike-rock-shox-pike-2014-enduro-race-fork-suspension-enduro-mag-mountainbike-magazine-650b-29-26-fact.jpg
Once i put up for sale and sell Beyonce (see signiture) i will order some new wheels with blue nipples
29er-mountain-bike.jpg

So last night i started building her up, some lovely little touches on the frame, and the routing took some head scratching as the image on the card was a tad confusing.
C360_2013-12-23-22-35-34-863.jpg
C360_2013-12-23-22-34-26-380.jpg
So she's fitted with a full XO groupset, just waiting on the forks. (i have some other wheels to use in the meantime)
Kazza the Tranny
Now for sale Fatty

Comments

• russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    If this rides even half as sweet as my 26" covert you are in for a real treat mate. Is suspect with the bikes it's going to be awesome!
  • Are they the superstar rims?
  • VWsurfbum
    cheers Russyh, i have only heard good things about the Covert, and the Yanks love the 29 version too.

Monsieur Monkey they are Light Bicycle wheels.
    http://www.light-bicycle.com/all-mounta ... rlertJdV08
    Again they get good reviews, silly light and strong. again the yanks love them.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Ohh nice! Been tempted by the superstar carbon wheelset but hadn't seen these. 1425g for their DH rims is impressive!
  • VWsurfbum
    I know superstar use the same hubs just rebrand them, and i would of thought the rims will be sourced from the same place?
    just more options going direct.
    I would also take those weights with a +/- margin ;)
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Another 29er tree hugger bike huh.. huh?

Sure it will be good though mate i just can't help but have a dig. like the transition bikes ride sweet.

Trying to figure out on my pay out next year if i should upgrade the Mondy or replace with 650b to keep up with the tech on wheels, tyres and forks in the future... i just love my dune so much..
  • VWsurfbum
    mate, i rode 26" all year and i can honestly say i dont miss it, I was watching a guy on a 650b last weekend and it was no different, If you like your Mondy tank, i'd keep it. the way i see it, not enough difference to change.
    Riding the big travel 29er was just what i was after, fast on the flats and uphills and point it down hill and all that travel will help with my lack of skill, Just like you ;)
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • LOL you knows im awesome right ;)

yeh thing that puts me off spending all my cash on my 26" is the way everything seems to be moving away from it, if tyres choice becomes limited after spending 2k on bits i'd be put out to say the least lol.

long travel 29er... its sounds so i dont know... hippyish!! ;)
  • VWsurfbum
    Thats me matey, Hippyish.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • VWsurfbum wrote:
    Thats me matey, Hippyish.

Not a total hippy, just a bit.. the free love bit eh ;)

honestly though it does look really smart reckon it will be a great machine.
  • VWsurfbum
    Cheers
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    Then as if by magic this turned up.
    436-Covert29-1.jpg

Now you have my interest!

Should be an interesting build. Looking forward to seeing the full build, chap!
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • VWsurfbum
    Clankety clank, its got test ride written all over it for you matey, A day in surry hills or cannock shall we?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    Clankety clank, its got test ride written all over it for you matey, A day in surry hills or cannock shall we?

Why, sir. I do believe you are trying to woo me.

It worked. :lol:

Surrey Hills you say?
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • VWsurfbum
    Come on ;)
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Thats a nice Transition youve got there! Bring it down Epping one day so i can have a go :( :P
  • VWsurfbum
    I dunno its man sized ; )
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    I used to ride on an oversized frame when i was 14 :wink:

Your mum's a big girl? :lol:
  • VWsurfbum
    Little things have started to arrive.
    6upype2a.jpg
    And
    6ubagu3a.jpg

Got her built up with my other forks at the moment as the Pikes are delayed until the 15th which sucks!
    Glad i went for the the Large as ETT is just right for me. Pedals well, just need the matchmaker to turn up today and i can take her out on the trails!
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    test rode a bike with one of those droppers, wouldnt go down under weight so had to get off and shove it, and when i released it it really came out hard so the whole bike jumped off the ground... is there tuning on it for that?
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    Ahh, clamp the bike on the Top tube mate, not the dropper stanchion. or insert an ordinary seat post whilst its clamped. They are all temperamental fuckers at the best of times.
  • VWsurfbum
    Waybender its a proper Neanderthal compared to my reverb, but seems to work ok from my short jaunt to the shops on it the other day.
    Russyh, wont be clamping on the frame, its got cables and i wouldnt want to scratch her ;) Its not clamped on the sanction, more of a balance under the seat.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    Its not clamped on the sanction, more of a balance under the seat.

Does it not still have the same effect as if it were clamped on the stanchion? In other words pulling the stanchion out of its housing
  • gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    It will have that effect, but it wont be squeezing it so its a bit better than having it clamped.

Personally i would just build it without the stand because id be crapping my pants if i had a dropper and did that. :lol:
  • VWsurfbum
    Thanks for all the concern, I have had enough dropper posts and builds to know that this isnt an issue.

Anyway, Matchmaker has turned up and was fitted, so all i need now is more air in the rear shock, and i can take her for a spin. Not sure if i want to get her dirty though :?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • pesky_jones
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    Thanks for all the concern, I have had enough dropper posts and builds to know that this isnt an issue.

Anyway, Matchmaker has turned up and was fitted, so all i need now is more air in the rear shock, and i can take her for a spin. Not sure if i want to get her dirty though :?

I wonder why that is... :wink:
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum wrote:

I wonder why that is... :wink:
    Different bikes!
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • pesky_jones
    Sure, sure
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Welcome to the owners club!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc