Climbing socks

dennisn
dennisn Posts: 10,601
edited December 2013 in The bottom bracket
As per the title. Planning on doing a lot of climbing this coming year. Does anyone know of any really good climbing socks? They would need to be very lightweight(less rotating mass) yet very cushy and comfortable(due to the high stresses that climbing puts on the feet). Somewhat worried about whether they will be good descending socks. Or would it be better if I stop at the top and switch over to a descending specific pair? :?

Comments

• Mickyg88
    Mickyg88 Posts: 289
    You might be better barefooted, ie no socks, doubt if any meet your detailed requirements.
  • I just wasted about 15 seconds of my life wondering whether this could possibly be a serious thread.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I think you would be better off with some thicker socks as they are less susceptible to crosswinds.
  • You also need to consider how far up the leg they go, get it wrong and your season could be ruined.
  • dennisn
    I just wasted about 15 seconds of my life wondering whether this could possibly be a serious thread.

Sorry about that. It was my weird response to an earlier post about "racing socks".
  • dennisn
    You also need to consider how far up the leg they go, get it wrong and your season could be ruined.

So true, so true.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    I think you would be better off with some thicker socks as they are less susceptible to crosswinds.

Yes, but thicker socks would be a few grams heavier and would noticeably slow you down on the climbs. I'd rather take the risk of thinner socks.
  • jp1970
    jp1970 Posts: 134
    Are these to go with your climbing wheels !
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    What shoes are you planning to use them with and what crank length do you use?
  • dennisn
    marcusjb wrote:

Shoes? Good question. Anyone?
    As to crank length, custom made 160's. Any longer and the rotating weight simply becomes too much.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    robbo2011 wrote:
    Bobbinogs wrote:

Yes, but thicker socks would be a few grams heavier and would noticeably slow you down on the climbs. I'd rather take the risk of thinner socks.

No so - the extra mass of the heavier socks will conserve energy through the pedal stroke enabling a smoother, more efficient pedal motion during the climb.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,691
    dennisn wrote:
    They would need to be very lightweight(less rotating mass) yet very cushy and comfortable(due to the high stresses that climbing puts on the feet).
    You'll only put high stress through your feet if you've got good leg strength, Dennis. Perhaps you should do some weights.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    dennisn wrote:
    marcusjb wrote:

As to crank length, custom made 160's. Any longer and the rotating weight simply becomes too much.

160s? Interesting intersection point between the two obvious candidates for the correct sock. Difficult choice.

What colour is your bar tape?
  • dennisn
    marcusjb wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    marcusjb wrote:

160s? Interesting intersection point between the two obvious candidates for the correct sock. Difficult choice.

What colour is your bar tape?

Duct tape - grey.
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Definitely want to go aero-there are big gains to having less wind resistance to the foot.I have many pairs with strategically placed holes.I could send you a pair if you like. :lol:
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    I'm using asymmetric socks on hillier rides and have found I'm putting out an additional 3.5 watts and can sustain this effort for over 1 hour. However I don't think they come in your colour (that's color to you Dennis).
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,438
    if you wear the socks long enough without washing, they'll eventually be able to climb themselves

this gives a very useful overall power saving on longer ascents and, if conditions are calm, you'll also find other riders dropping back or simply giving up
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • dennisn
    sungod wrote:
    if you wear the socks long enough without washing, they'll eventually be able to climb themselves

this gives a very useful overall power saving on longer ascents and, if conditions are calm, you'll also find other riders dropping back or simply giving up

Excellent. Gotta try that. And it's free. :lol::lol::lol:
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,199
    Thick socks may cause over-heating and dehydration of the feet. I wouldn't do it, especially if your HRM is saying 220 - YOUR AGE + 27.
    Besides, they will ony hold more stench. I don't bother with socks at all, f*ck 'em: who sais I have to wear socks, It is just a merketing ploy.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • dennisn
    I don't bother with socks at all, f*ck 'em: who sais I have to wear socks, It is just a merketing ploy.

What? A cycling clothing manufacturer using "marketing ploy's"? I can't believe it. They all seem so trustworthy.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,249
    Chop all your toes off.

They only slow you down.
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    I cant get up-thanks Rick.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • I can't believe we are two pages in to a sock thread and no-one has mentioned weave density yet. Talk about lack of information :roll:
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    Oh OK then...as you get older fat deposits on your feet reduce so the need for increased weave density becomes more important. :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • pinno
    There are so many factors to consider YP. I mean where do you start?

1. Length
    2. Breadth
    3. Weave density
    4. Thickness
    5. Porosity
    6. Colour
    7. Material
    8. Lifespan
    9. Anti-bacterial properties
    10. Weight.

I bet none of you have really thought about this or the implications of the sock on performance. You're all taking this far too lightly. Call yourself 'proper' cyclists? Bunch of amateurs if you ask me.
  • briantrumpet
    Also, do we need to be careful about Chinese or Spanish socks, in case they are tainted with clenbuterol? And are ones made at high altitude much more expensive and do they give you an advantage?
  • pdstsp
    Socks expand at altitude as air density decreases and hence the expanded socks can increase drag - therefore I always wear some nice nylon socks treated with Expandostop when climbing.
  • briantrumpet
    pdstsp wrote:
    Socks expand at altitude as air density decreases and hence the expanded socks can increase drag - therefore I always wear some nice nylon socks treated with Expandostop when climbing.
    Yes, but like water bottles, they will compress when at lower altitudes, so as long as they've been made at an altitude higher than your highest climb, they should actually decrease drag, especially if they are woollen socks, and the sheep or goats who produced the wool are mountain breeds from high altitude.
  • pdstsp
    Well you learn something every day.
  • pinno
    I think your talking bollox personally. The expansion of the socks due to lower air pressure is offset by the shrinkage under the decrease in temperature. 100metres up = 1 deg drop and a disproportionate and exponential shrinkage of the sock. Expandostop will only enhance the shrinkage in cooler conditions, it is a rip-off gimmick that stuff.

In all seriousness, sock shrinkage due to colder temperatures will cause constriction of the feet which increases the effect of severe foot dehydration and increased blood pressure. I really don't think any of you have thought this through properly.

Expansion of sock due to altitude (x) - Shrinkage of sock in cooler tempearatures (s) squared + (dehydration of ped(es) (dp) x constriction of foot (cf) ) + blood pressure increase (bp) = time (n) minutes before manditory amputation (mp) so:

x-s2+(dp x cf) + bp = nmp.

Think about it next time you put those socks on and go over your nearest hill because it could be the last time.