Best Rock Album and Best Rock Album Cover

mr_goo
mr_goo Posts: 3,770
edited January 2014 in The cake stop
Lets lighten the mood on CS and move away from spats about whether an ex boxing champ is a great mate or a bad ass.

There are quite a few members on here that like their rock music. So what is the best studio rock album and rock album cover? I shall start the ball rolling with one that possibly is a contestant for top spot on both.

giclee-rainbow-rising.jpg
Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.

Comments

• RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Suppose I should've chosen 2112 given the date but this is my choice...

Rush_Permanent_Waves.jpg
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    One of my favorite albums. Can't just pick one. Return+To+Cookie+Mountain+tvotr.png

Best art would be Cut Copy's Zonoscope. They are hardly hardly a rock band but what a beauty this is.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRlCToBVPNJAW2CjOWgDMekT9GNnGmBs9B3EL0nHkKCQbAHv_Jisw
  • Motörhead - Orgasmatron.
    Can't do link from here. But possibly the best album ever. EVER.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    480px-The_Beatles_album_cover.jpg
  • milleman
    milleman Posts: 181
    Admire your taste RonB, Rush are just the greatest.
  • john_kline
    john_kline Posts: 2,151
    2dwo.jpg
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    nirvana_nevermind.jpg
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Ride+the+Lightning+Coverpng+1000x1000+px.png

Or the original Appetite For Destruction which I won't post in case it offends someone!
  • crispybug2 wrote:
    nirvana_nevermind.jpg

This one was much better :-)

Weird_Al_Yankovic_-_Off_the_Deep_End.jpg
  • Yessongs...The live version of Starship trooper...
  • Iron_Maiden_-_Live_After_Death.jpg

Not really an album but captures what Rock/Metal is all about. Don't nod your head to this you are lets say... musically challenged? :wink:
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    edited December 2013
    Tankard -- Hair Of The Dog

by far not the best band,bit like the German version of the Mac Lads
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Overlord2 wrote:
    Iron_Maiden_-_Live_After_Death.jpg

Not really an album but captures what Rock/Metal is all about. Don't nod your head to this you are lets say... musically challenged? :wink:

All the Iron Maiden 'Eddie' covers are great. Think my favourite is probably The Trooper. The Aces High singles cover is fantastic too, drew it on the cover of one of my school books.

The downside of digital downloads and even CDs is the demise of the album cover.
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Lets lighten the mood on CS and move away from spats about whether an ex boxing champ is a greatmate or a bad ass.

There are quite a few members on here that like their rock music. So what is the best studio rock album and rock album cover? I shall start the ball rolling with one that possibly is a contestant for top spot on both.

giclee-rainbow-rising.jpg

Agreed. A staggeringly good album and an iconic album cover

Blackmore a genius guitar player, Powell a powerhouse drummer and Dio probably the best heavy rock vocalist

Great stuff.

How sad that only Blackmore is still alive

They were on the brink of reforming in 1998 when Cozy Powell was killed
  • carrock
    edited December 2013
    milleman wrote:
    Admire your taste RonB, Rush are just the greatest.

Rush are gifted musicians but they do have an alarming number of men's bare arses on their album covers......

Rush_Hemispheres_zps1a735389.jpg
  • carrock
    edited December 2013
    Bat out of hell- meat loaf
    81ef1a54081f8f3535cb8450247_zps97da4bc9.jpg

Brilliant cover art. Adorned millions of jackets if I remember well. Album a bit overblown but title track a classic

Queen- news of the world. A hard edged album in the middle of the punk era. How we are the champions never got to no 1 is beyond me.

810queen06big_zps2070f58c.png
    Some hidden gems on here . All dead all dead a beautiful song......
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    Pross wrote:
    Overlord2 wrote:
    Iron_Maiden_-_Live_After_Death.jpg

All the Iron Maiden 'Eddie' covers are great. Think my favourite is probably The Trooper. The Aces High singles cover is fantastic too, drew it on the cover of one of my school books.

The downside of digital downloads and even CDs is the demise of the album cover.

personally think the cover for Killers was the best out of the Maiden covers,really liked the covers for Magnum, done by Rodney Mathews
    bit of a change Beastie Boys Ill Comunication,plane crashing into a wall,supposed to be a spliff being stubbed out
  • carrock
    What about the worst covers..

Who can forget the classic " molesting the decapitated"

devourmentmolestingthedecapitated_zpsb69cd0ba.jpg
  • mr_goo
    For one of the best rock bands ever, Black Sabbath have some remarkably bad album covers. Maybe they think the music should do the talking, which obviously it does. But really.......

album-Black-Sabbath-Master-of-Reality.jpg

cover_5136162272009.jpg
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • mr_goo
    Whitesnake, though I've never been a fan of them do employ some good artists to produce quite provocative album covers...

ComeAnGetIt.jpg
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    Iron+Maiden+-+Bring+Your+Daughter+To+The+Slaughter+-+P%2FS+-+12%22+PICTURE+DISC-687.jpg
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • katiebob
    katiebob Posts: 208
    Good rock albums are directly proportional to the amount of hair on the cover...

Cinderella - Night Songs
    Poison - look what the cat dragged in
    Motley Crue - Shout at the devil

:oops: :oops:
  • john_kline
    john_kline Posts: 2,151
    lc9s.jpgtjv1.jpg
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Fu$k yeah!

200px-Kiss_destroyer_album_cover_zps287ac9b0.jpg
  • Tom-Waits-Rain-Dogs-98487.jpg?1304416416

Love those teeth
  • Little_Feat_-_Feats_Don't_Fail_Me_Now.jpg

red_sails_in_the_sunset.jpg

326510.jpg

220px-Bog_puppet.jpg
  • images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQk-JU_tX2B9wpMqVpNrsZ5nN9xAzrhurrQ6mDtQrm2zBXvneBAHw
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    rage-against-the-machine-album.jpeg

Guns+N+Roses+-+Appetite+For+Destruction+-+Promo+Banned+Sleeve+%2B+Sticker+-+LP+RECORD-370019.jpg

skolnick-ozzy-630-80.jpg
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,164
    Bon+Jovi+Slippery+When+Wet.jpg
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Best rock album IS "If you want blood,you've got it" by AC/DC.