One Man Team or Plenty of Options? (Graphs)

RichN95.
RichN95. Posts: 27,150
edited December 2013 in Pro race
This got mentioned on another thread and I said I would do some graphs.

It shows how reliant the 19 World Tour teams were on a select few riders in 2013.

The first graph shows how many of their (World Tour) points were contributed by those other than the team's top three scorers.

The second shows the percentage of points contributed by the No.1 rider.

s1aq.png

wgee.png
Twitter: @RichN95

Comments

• so that proves that sky manage to spread the points around riders and arn't all about Froome like some suggested. Also it must be close for Argos between Degenkolb and Kittle?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Kittel had a very good year, 1st Jersey yellow.svg Overall Tour de Picardie
    1st Jersey green.svg Points classification
    1st Stages 1 & 3
    1st Scheldeprijs
    1st Omloop van het Houtland
    Tour de France
    1st Stages 1, 10, 12 & 21
    Held Jersey yellow.svg Yellow Jersey for Stage 2
    Held Jersey green.svg Green Jersey for Stages 2 & 3
    Tour of Turkey
    1st Stages 1, 7 & 8
    1st Stage 1 Tour of Oman
    1st Stage 2 Paris–Nice
    1st ProRace Berlin
    6th Overall Ster ZLM Toer
    1st Stage 2

Degenkolb
    1st Vattenfall Cyclassics
    1st Paris–Bourges
    1st Paris–Tours
    1st Stage 5 Giro d'Italia
    2nd Overall Tour de l'Eurometropole
    1st Stages 2 & 4
    2nd Brussels Cycling Classic
    2nd Grand Prix d'Isbergues
    3rd National Road Race Championships
    4th Eschborn-Frankfurt City Loop
    9th Tour of Flanders
    10th GP Ouest-France
  • ad_snow
    ad_snow Posts: 469
    Interesting that Kwiatkowski was the #1 scoring rider for OPQS? Did Cav really have that poor of a season?
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    I guess it also depends on the number of victories, as well as the quality of the wins.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • RichN95.
    ad_snow wrote:
    Interesting that Kwiatkowski was the #1 scoring rider for OPQS? Did Cav really have that poor of a season?
    Cav was only 4th highest at OPQS (Chavanel & Stybar with slightly more points). The WT points don't tend to be kind to sprinters unless they do well in a one dayer or two. It also explains why Degenkolb with his Vatenfall win is ahead of Kittel.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,589
    Quick Step is a bloody good team isn't it?
  • Quick Step is a bloody good team isn't it?

certainly a good spread of points earners.

I assume that Cannondale keep Sagan wrapped in cotton wool and locked in a drawer during the closed season?

Looks like Dan Martin earns his corn at Garmin as well.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Garmin not having an out and out leader like some teams makes me surprised at Dan Martin.

I bet AG2r are happy about their Betancur signing!

Flecha still stacking the points at his age.

Rich what % did Quintana get?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Thing about Garmin this year is that with the very notable exception of Dan Martin, when it came to WT races they weren't that successful apart from Talansky and Navardauskas. Winning big at the North American races (Utah, Alberta) keeps their sponsors and domestic fans happy, but does nothing for their WT points.
  • RichN95.
    Rich what % did Quintana get?
    20.9%. And before you ask, Contador was 24.9%.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,480
    Makes for interesting viewing and goes to show how misconceived some popular beliefs can be.
  • The more I think about it the more I'm a bit shocked at Garmin's reliance on Martin. I'd imagined it was a more evenly spread contribution throughout the team like OPQS.

this really does exemplify how easily we can get hung up on perception in cycling
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,931
    From memory of another Rich analysis OPQS were well down the list of teams by points accumulated. So although they have more contributors to their points total, the total isn't as impressive.

Or something.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • From memory of another Rich analysis OPQS were well down the list of teams by points accumulated. So although they have more contributors to their points total, the total isn't as impressive.

Or something.

Again, WT points are a little deceptive, OPQS were top in the victory rankings this year