Cycling wardrobe

stevenminney
stevenminney Posts: 19
edited December 2013 in Road beginners
Hello,

Picked up the bike on Saturday, really pleased with it.
I'll begin the commute to work once I have sold my car, and so during the interim I need to kit out my cycling wardrobe.

So far my shopping list is as follows (most items seem only required in case it rains, which is annoying)...

Waterproof Gloves
Waterproof Overshoes
Shorts
Waterproof Leg warmers
Waterproof Jacket
Waterproof Backpack

Also on my list are: Front and rear lights, mud guards, a helmet, lock, repair kit, sealant spray and two spare inner tubes. It's getting pricey!!

My commute is an 8 mile round trip.
I am wondering in your experience if I can do without some items as the trip is quite short?

Comments

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,515
    Cycling shoes, skullcap/buff.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Have you got somewhere to dry stuff during the day? Even during an 8-mile commute expect to generate a bit of heat/sweat that'll lead to damp clothing unless you take it real easy.
    Waterproof gloves? Despite manufacturer's promises, very few are - buy some neoprene ones as they'll keep you warm regardless.
    Waterproof legwarmers? Not really, they have a hydro-phobic coating that lasts a few washes IME. Not really effective for wet rides in deep winter where you'll probably need something warmer.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • I wouldn't buy both sealant spray and a puncture repair kit.
    Perhaps buy an ordinary backpack and a reflective/waterproof cover? Or is that what you meant?

What are you planning to wear under the waterproofs - working clothes? To keep your legs dry you could buy some waterproof overtrousers. As Monty Dog pointed out, you'll tend to get sweaty.

A pair of glasses is a good idea for cold/wet weather. You can get basic clear-lens glasses from DHB (Wiggle) or on eBay for not much money.
    Lights are absolutely essential at this time of year: far more so than a helmet IMO.
    You'll probably also need some tools for minor adjustments - chain lube and the like at a minimum.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    mudguards are the best thing for keeping shoes dry, stuff shoes with paper when at the office and ride home damp
    get a cheap backpack rain cover - planetx do inexpensive helmets and gloves and inner tubes

don't skimp on the lock, new york Kryptonite or Abus Granite gold with as short as you can get away with, you need to make sure there are no gaps in the hoop when you lock it
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Dont underestimate the usefulness of armwarmers and a windproof gilet. Ive recently come to the firm conclusion, after collecting lots of various tops and jackets since I started cycling some years ago, that "less is more" as Ive alwasy tended to overheat in anything too substancial. So, perhaps a Windstopper softshell rather than a waterproof for wehn its really cold, and the aforementioned decent base layer/short sleeve jersey/arm warmer/gilet combo for maximum versatility. In fact, some of the windproof short sleeve jerseys are great (DHB on Wiggle) with armwarmers, meaning you can sometimes not need the gilet either.

This took me years to realise, and only after Id spent loads on long sleeve jerseys and waterproofs which always left me hot and sweaty. Today my most used kit seems to be a short sleeve Gore Ozon windproof jersey, an Endura FS260 Pro Jetstream windroof long sleeve jersey (Mk2's available for @ £40 on line if you search) and now a Craft Elite Weather short sleeve jersey which also claims to be showerproof (a la the Castelli Gabba jersey but much, much cheaper). Since using these (often with armwarmers) Ive been way more comfortable on the bike...

Oh, and +1 for mudguards, and a packable waterproof jacket (Altura pocket Rocket mk1 @ £45 on Wiggle) just in case it really starts to come down mid-ride...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • These are the questions I have lads.
    I don't know if I should just dress for work and lob on waterproofs over the top.
    We have changing facilities at work so I can pack my shirt, trousers and shoes... but we have no lockers, so the wet gear will just stay wet by my desk, or on the coat rack.

I thought I'd buy the sealant so I don't need to do a roadside repair? And have the repair kit and spare inners left at home?
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    I kept shoes, belts, and other items that don't need washing at work.
    Also comb, deodorant, and extra underwear (in case I forgot to pack them....).

In warm weather, having rain gear just causes more perspiration - so you get wet regardless.

I used a lightweight backpack with a waterproof 'stuff sack' inside.
    Don't bother with cycling shoes for such a short commute - wear shoes that are walkable, and not be hurt by water.

Ask if there is a utility closet, or furnace room where you can hang wet things.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • JayKosta wrote:
    I kept shoes, belts, and other items that don't need washing at work.
    Also comb, deodorant, and extra underwear (in case I forgot to pack them....).

In warm weather, having rain gear just causes more perspiration - so you get wet regardless.

I used a lightweight backpack with a waterproof 'stuff sack' inside.
    Don't bother with cycling shoes for such a short commute - wear shoes that are walkable, and not be hurt by water.

Ask if there is a utility closet, or furnace room where you can hang wet things.
    You need a comb ? those days are long gone !
    regards
    ILG

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • So, I think I will be investing in a decent high-vis waterproof jacket, and will just cope with wet legs and feet for now. Looking at the Sportful UK Rain Jacket and taking your advice with basic Neoprene gloves, again Sportful do some cheap enough.
    The lights and mudguards are a must, Cat Eye brands, and the Crud Road Racer MK2's, assuming they will fit my 2008 52cm Allez frame?
    Specialized Allign helmet seems good value for money, a helmet is a helmet right?
    I going to skimp a little on the lock and get a basic one, we have a secure work place with CCTV, and it's the only place I'll ever lock up. With the other bits such as a pump and repair kit, I'm already just over £300 with my shopping basket, so will go with this and add to it as I can. The Vaude backpack I chose has a rain cover included.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    how much you paying for the vaude?

look at lomo or alp kit for a waterproof rucksack
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,515
    Let us know what you've bought after a month of commuting, that'll be useful to share.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Skip the waterproof jacket and get a windproof soft shell. Leave the lock at work if possible.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    This is a 2x 4 mile ride. There are 2 ways to do it, either ride hell for leather and spend 15 mins cooling down, or pootle along and take an extra 15 mins, then stroll to your desk. Think about the time/faff of getting dressed up for the ride vs time in the saddle.
    Personally I dont feel the need for much cycling gear over 4 miles, not padded shorts or arm/leg warmers. Generic hiking gear is generally more useful. The best source is probably GoOutdoors
    Wear some wicking T-shirt style base layers.
    A bright, reflective windproof outer for dry days and a similar waterproof for wet days. Waterproofs get clammy whatever the makers claim.
    A neck buffs and waterproof footwear are winter essentials. For short rides, simple w/p shoes are quicker than porous shoes and neoprene over-booties.
  • Great shout with the Lomo bag, found one for £25.