Hybrid

12borebaz
12borebaz Posts: 6
edited December 2013 in Road beginners
Just put a post on here about discount vouchers for a carrera gryphon. I have a budget of £350 from experience / knowledge / etc, am I going for the right bike or is there one better. I chose a hybrid as I'm worried drops will kill my back (not wimping just have temperamental back) would appreciate input.

Comments

• ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    12borebaz wrote:
    Just put a post on here about discount vouchers for a carrera gryphon. I have a budget of £350 from experience / knowledge / etc, am I going for the right bike or is there one better. I chose a hybrid as I'm worried drops will kill my back (not wimping just have temperamental back) would appreciate input.
    It looks like a nice bike, but if you are planning regular long distances, might be better to go for a road bike rather than a hybrid. I have a specialized hybrid, which is similar but no disc brakes - I find it okay for distances up to about 18 miles, but if going further I prefer my road bike for comfort and speed. You can get road bikes with relaxed geometry, and unless you are racing you will spend most time on the hoods rather than drops. I am in my 50s and so I can't have bars too low, but I still prefer the drops.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    as above^ don't worry too much about drops, you'll ride on the bars or the hoods, lots more positions than on a flat bar to help keep you comfortable, and if you get the right size for your style of riding, won't be an issue with your back/neck/shoulders. I know lots of people who went down the hybrid route for same reasons only to spend more a year later on a road bike - good luck
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • As above. Get a road bike with Endurance or relaxed geometry. They are so much better on the road than a hybrid even if you never use the drops. Most riders will only use the drops maybe 10% of the time anyway.

The only trouble is for £350 for a road bike you'll struggle but you can get a hybrid.