Cervelo R5 VWD

Pokerface
Pokerface Posts: 7,960
edited May 2014 in Your road bikes
Race bike from last year. A few pics to share...

C3_zps226a3119.jpg
C2_zps660beee0.jpg
C10_zps8f600b93.jpg
C9_zpsed0aaf78.jpg
C8_zpsc86d6d83.jpg
C7_zps19c3577b.jpg
C4_zps75dedf85.jpg
C1_zps622c77c9.jpg
World_zps2ec6e93c.jpg

Enjoy!

Colin

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    You have some nice bikes there (including the new Felt), liking the action shots vgood.
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    The climbing picture is awesome, who took it?

If you ever want to move that bike on and treat yourself to a Rca let me know.

You seem to be using a lot of 3T wheelsets now instead of Zipps? any reason ( I know 303's would have been a bit of a drag in the alps) but I m sure a man of your means could have got some 101's or 202's .
  • Pokerface
    tim wand wrote:
    The climbing picture is awesome, who took it?

If you ever want to move that bike on and treat yourself to a Rca let me know.

You seem to be using a lot of 3T wheelsets now instead of Zipps? any reason ( I know 303's would have been a bit of a drag in the alps) but I m sure a man of your means could have got some 101's or 202's .

Photo by Philip Field during the Trois Etapes event.

101's are crap and heavy. 202's are OK, but I have some lighter climbing wheels. I had 303's and 404's but they are too flexy for racing. I hate the way the rims rub out of the saddle.

I'm rebuilding my 404's with new 3rd party hubs that should make them lighter and stronger. Same goes for my 808 front and I'll be racing with a new Zipp disc next year.

I'm sponsored by 3T too (although you're seeing the same wheel set on both bikes).
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    looks fantastic! Love the climbing pic
  • Lovely pictures and lovely bike. You have to love the Cervelo styling.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Loving the last action pic
  • clu
    clu Posts: 89
    The bike looks lovely, a great machine to race on.

With regard to the rotor chainset and the what looks like an oval chainring on your bike, how much of a difference does it make over the usual circular one? I assume it must make a difference, otherwise you wouldn't bother with it.

On my new R3, the chainrings are the usual standard ones and I was wondering if it's perhaps a future upgrade?
    2004 Trek 5500 OCLV
    2014 Cervelo R3 Black/Blue
    2018 Cervelo R3 Disc Navy/Red
    2018 Trek Domane SL 5 Disc Grey
    2020 Trek Domane SL 5 Disc Matte Navy
  • Pokerface
    Clu wrote:
    The bike looks lovely, a great machine to race on.

With regard to the rotor chainset and the what looks like an oval chainring on your bike, how much of a difference does it make over the usual circular one? I assume it must make a difference, otherwise you wouldn't bother with it.

On my new R3, the chainrings are the usual standard ones and I was wondering if it's perhaps a future upgrade?

serious bone of contention these oval chainrings! All I can say is they work particularly well for me as they help smooth out my very large dead spot (from the artificial leg). I can't give you a precise answer on how much extra power, etc they are worth, but I am more than happy with them. Some people love them, some hate them.
  • I like the Mercurio, they have a lot of innovations, like the dual Shimano and Campagnolo compatible Freehub and the spoke engagement system... how do you find them on the road compared to Zipp and the likes?
    left the forum March 2023
  • Pokerface
    I like the Mercurio, they have a lot of innovations, like the dual Shimano and Campagnolo compatible Freehub and the spoke engagement system... how do you find them on the road compared to Zipp and the likes?

Said this in another thread....

The Mercurio 40 is a superior wheel to the Zipp 303 in my opinion. Similar weight and profile, but the 3T wheels are much stiffer. My Zipps always rub the brake blocks out of the saddle, but these don't. Very happy with them, and 3T tell me they are working on making them even better.

I also have their 60 and 80 wheels, which are good for training, but not as good as Zipps for racing. Yet.
  • awesome picture of you in the Ireland kit Pokerface.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • maxlite
    maxlite Posts: 293
    Love that climbing shot and the 3T wheels :)
    Cervelo R5
    Cinelli Saetta
    Giant XTC
    Raleigh Classic
  • Pokerface
    maxlite wrote:
    Love that climbing shot and the 3T wheels :)

I had super light climbing wheels in that shot. NOT my race wheels from 3T.

About an hour after that shot, this happened to the rear wheel on the descent: Wheel_zps53116eb8.jpg

Light wheels do NOT equal strong wheels!
  • tim_wand
    Did you hit something, Or was it a combination of heat build up corrupting the rim, is it a front or a rear?

Are you seriously saying that was a rim failure during a descent in the Alps? I bet you soiled your bibs if that was the case.

Wasn't a rider killed in the tour of Switzerland last year when heat build up blew his front rim in the Alps?
  • Pokerface
    tim wand wrote:
    Did you hit something, Or was it a combination of heat build up corrupting the rim, is it a front or a rear?

Are you seriously saying that was a rim failure during a descent in the Alps? I bet you soiled your bibs if that was the case.

Wasn't a rider killed in the tour of Switzerland last year when heat build up blew his front rim in the Alps?

Heat build up in rear rim. Too many fast hairpins in quick succession I guess. Wheel buckled, and locked up but I was lucky to be already slowing down for the hairpin so kept control.

Rode on the 3T wheels the rest of the ride :)
  • Holy sh1t! Do you think that the way forward to avoid this is disc brakes?
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Pokerface
    Holy sh1t! Do you think that the way forward to avoid this is disc brakes?

If you do a lot of descending, then yes. If you know how to brake properly (I clearly don't), then no :)
  • Crazyness! At least you didn't crash, that would have been bad!
  • dereko
    dereko Posts: 55
    Love those cervelo frames, although the prosthetic looks a pretty good bit of engineering too.
    What was the weight of the wheelset that cracked?
  • tim_wand
    I know Froome changed wheelsets half way through a TT in this years tour, but it makes you wonder whether top teams will do the same with climbing and descending wheelsets, or would too much time be lost in transition.

I know of two fatalities and multiple failures due to heat build up descending on Carbon rims , there have also been issues with Zicral spokes in Mavic SLR's due to temperature changes.

Makes you wonder if the UCI stance of safety and disc brake wheel sets is a good position.

Good job your sponsored Colin I make it at least a grand worths of wheels you ve trashed this season, Good going I bet your power meter loves ya.
  • Pokerface
    tim wand wrote:

Good job your sponsored Colin I make it at least a grand worths of wheels you ve trashed this season, Good going I bet your power meter loves ya.

I had to pay out of pocket for all my broken wheels. The 3T ones were free - but they never broke!
  • tim_wand
    Ouch!!! that's tough luck, I take it the Zipp hub was covered by warranty, but I would Imagine there's not much come back over that rear rim?
  • Glad you're ok Colin - what wheel was that? A FFWD or Vision?

Does anyone have links to new stories about these fatal wheel failures?

About the bike, so long as it makes you fast it's a good bike. The combo of the Rotor crank with PM, Di2 and the burner rear cage make it look very busy and industrial. Very workman-like, like the Garmin team bikes.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Pokerface
    Glad you're ok Colin - what wheel was that? A FFWD or Vision?

Does anyone have links to new stories about these fatal wheel failures?

About the bike, so long as it makes you fast it's a good bike. The combo of the Rotor crank with PM, Di2 and the burner rear cage make it look very busy and industrial. Very workman-like, like the Garmin team bikes.

The wheel was a Roval Alpiniste - not made any more. Now I know why!

And yes, the bike has all the 'Pro' toys on it. Most serve a specific purpose!
  • Pokerface
    tim wand wrote:
    Ouch!!! that's tough luck, I take it the Zipp hub was covered by warranty, but I would Imagine there's not much come back over that rear rim?

Yes, Zipp hub covered by warranty. Rear rim was a write-off. Rebuilt the wheel on an Enve rim. Hopefully somewhat more robust!
  • Pokerface
    Annnnnnnnnnd.... this bike now for sale!!

viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=12970811