This isnt right is it

Cogsy1976
Cogsy1976 Posts: 143
edited January 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all
I rently bought a Genesis core from ebay, I had it delivered so couldnt check it out prior to purchase, bike was described as new condition, which to be fair the frame and some of the components are.

However, when I have looked closely A. The headset top cup doesnt seem to be fitted correctly (see pics) but more worrying is the bottom bracket, it looks like most of the inner cup has been ripped off and pretty much all of the internal thread has been stripped which whilst its ok now if the BB ever needed replacing would be nigh on impossible without being rethreaded.

Can you look at the photos and let me now what you think?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Mmmm can you do bigger images! ANC what cranks etc....

And the bb is not a problem.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • really? the rubber cups are completely missing on the non-drive side and you can see the internal thread which is damaged? those were the biggest pics that would fit :(
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Never seen a BB with rubber cups anywhere.....on the NDS it's hard to see hat is and isn't there.

The headset issue looks like the head tube isn't square cut at the end which would have been thee from manufacture.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • its an internal bottom bracket, I had one on a Giant and that had rubber like cups. I think I will get the bike shop to look at as I dont think it is right, the headset needs doing anyway as there is play and I noticed the cup wasnt sitting completely flush. I was more concerned about the BB as I once bought an Orange Patriot that I was told needed a new BB however when they took it out it had been packed in with tin foil as the thread had stripped which cost me £150 for Argos cycles to sort out! If you think it looks fine then thats ok, I could send a bigger image but cant do it on here.
    Thanks for your advice :)
  • Right just had another look sorry its not rubber its the plastic bit that the bottom bracket tool fits into that is missing so you could never get the bb out once in!
  • The Rookie
    The NDS will have a cup that supports the other end of the cartridge, so nothing there to remove, the main part will come out the drive side as usual. You either need the right cup or an all new BB Is all.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks the rookie :) its one of these BB's:-

Cartridges with one end flanged and threaded directly into the frame
    Recent Shimano bottom brackets (include the UN-25, UN-52, UN-54 and UN-55 series) have no mounting ring on one side, but rather, one end of the cartridge threads directly into the frame. These bottom brackets are available only for current threading standards. The other cup may be a plastic part which can break if overtightened; better replacement parts are available in the aftermarket -- see

The plastic part has broken and I think even if I was to get a new plastic part it wouldnt screw in as the thread looks knackered, does the plastic bit actually matter if its missing?
  • The Rookie
    The end of the cartridge needs supporting, once it is out the remains of the plastic will remove easily and you can get the thread recut if it's really required, although a plastic cup won't have done any damage, but some cartridges have ally cups.
  • Ok right I have got ebay protection so tempted to send it back for full refund but he has offered £50. The headset def needs doing as the bearings are protruding from bottom of headset but Im not convinced that if I was to get a new BB that the thread would be sufficient to hold the plastic. its a shame as its a great bike and I got it for a good price but unsure of what to do!
    Cheers for your help I really appreciate it
  • The Rookie
    I'd take the money........
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    The Rookie wrote:
    The headset issue looks like the head tube isn't square cut at the end which would have been thee from manufacture.

that is pretty much impossible - the head tube is sut off on a lathe so the ends will be square. more likely the top cup is not fitted correctly - needs to be pressed in further.

looks to me the teeth on the bb cup are damaged - you will have fun rying to remove it - and if you can see the bb threads then the bb is too short for the frame.

as new condition - i don;t hink so - somebidy who doesn't know what they are doing has beenfucking around with that bike.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Judging by the damage around the BB someones had a go at getting it out, shagged it and now is selling it to make it your problem. Send it straight back.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Send it back if it was described as new which it obviously isnt then the listing was deliberately misleading and you have all the rights, ebay will refund you and its the sellers problem if they want bike back. £50 is not enough to compensate when you need headset and BB sorting, LBS will charge you £30 plus per hour labour on top of the cost of new BB and headset.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap