I just picked my first bike 2010 Cannondale CAAD8 for $260

pashlit
pashlit Posts: 14
edited December 2013 in Road beginners
Hello guys,
This is my first post, so please take it easy on me and please direct me to the right spot in case I posted into the wrong section. I will try to be brief. I am just starting road riding, so I ve been looking for a road bike for the past week or two. I was not going to spend over 1k, since it was supposed to be my first bike, but was willing to spare close to 700-800. I visited couple shops, checked Ebay and other places and, finally, came upon one ad on Craigslist. 2010 Cannondale CAAD8. The guy listed it for $800. Well, I knew it was quite a lot for that bike but I contacted him anyway. Long story short, the guy was not a rider. He got that bike from a friend of his and had absolutely no knowledge about bikes and its components. So, when I asked him about gears, shifters etc, the only thing he could tell they were Shimano. He just wanted to get rid of the bike so he actually drove to me and brought the bike. I took it for a spin and ended up buying it for $260!!!! Well, the bike is used. It has the lowest Shimano 2300 components, OK hubs and rims, the frame has some scratches but for that price I think its good enough. Rims seem to be straight, gears work. So far, so good. It defiantly needs a good clean up and good tune up. So, thats why I am here. What would you guys suggest I should do now? I want to strip the bike off, thoroughly clean it, relube it... stuff like that. If you could recommend any technics on cleaning and lubing or give any other advice, I d appreciate it. As I said I am a complete noob to road riding although I rode mountain bikes and motorcycles quite a bit. I hope this bike will serve me well and I will take a better care of it than previous owner did. I also need good pedals, good shorts, and good boots now I guess.
Here are some pictures. Please express your opinions.
Thanks again!
2013-03-16%252014.53.53.jpg
2013-03-16%252014.54.48.jpg
2013-03-16%252014.54.59.jpg
2013-03-16%252014.58.03.jpg
2013-03-16%252014.54.26.jpg
2013-03-16%252014.55.26.jpg

Comments

• nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    'Got it from a friend of his' = nicked. He was probably happy to get anything for it as a result!
  • pashlit
    nochekmate wrote:
    'Got it from a friend of his' = nicked. He was probably happy to get anything for it as a result!
    He is just a family guy with two kids, who has no time (or desire) to ride. But its not what I asked about. I just want a couple of opinions about the bike.
  • MattyyP
    MattyyP Posts: 142
    It is slightly concerning though... Did you see a reciept? lol
    Specialized Secteur Sport 2011
    B'Twin Rockrider 8 XC
    B'Twin Rockrider 9.1
  • pashlit
    MattyyP wrote:
    OK guys, I see where you are heading. Well, if somebody tries to sell a nicked bike, he doesnt send pictures of the bike in his house, he doesnt disclose his name, address, phone number and job location. Unless he is completely dumb. No guarantee, of course, but there is always risk in buying used. If the bike happened to be "nicked" and original owner is somehow found (or I find out that bike is "nicked"), I will gladly return the bike and just loose 260 bucks. I used to find some expensive toys and always returned them to the owners. It just makes me feel better ))) Police will do the rest.... Can I get any advice about the bike now? Or may be I should just remove the story and say " I just bought CAAD8, here it goes...." :P :P
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Looks in pretty good condition - look at videos on You tube with regards to maintenance.
    Ask any specific questions you want in the relevant section of the forum when you need to. In the meanwhile, welcome and enjoy your bike.
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    pashlit wrote:
    MattyyP wrote:
    OK guys, I see where you are heading. Well, if somebody tries to sell a nicked bike, he doesnt send pictures of the bike in his house...

Police are looking for a man living in a house with a white cooker and a brown cupboard. :)
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    It's either nicked - or I feel you have been a little harsh on him by knocking his price down so much!

So one way or another there has been a robbery!
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • Buckie2k5
    Buckie2k5 Posts: 600
    change the bar tape or the owner is gonna know its his ;) oh and the cages 1 black 1 silver pure give away.
  • pashlit
    TheFD wrote:
    It's either nicked - or I feel you have been a little harsh on him by knocking his price down so much!

So one way or another there has been a robbery!

Well I was harsh. No doubt. It never hurts to try :D I dunno about UK but here, in US, CAAD 8 in nice condition can be easily found for under 400. Just recently I saw an ad where a guy was selling nice 2011 CAAD for 400 with cycling shoes included )).
    My bike is not in its best shape, but after good clean up and tuning it can serve well. Cheers.
  • bazzer2
    bazzer2 Posts: 189
    I'm gonna buck the trend here and say what a cracking bargain you got there. The frame will appreciate better wheels and components (don't go silly - 105 spec will be enough!) and you'll have a smart ride on your hands.
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Look for Parktools and Sheldon Browns websites for maintenance / cleaning etc.

Enjoy your new ride.
  • pashlit
    bazzer2 wrote:
    I'm gonna buck the trend here and say what a cracking bargain you got there. The frame will appreciate better wheels and components (don't go silly - 105 spec will be enough!) and you'll have a smart ride on your hands.
    Thanks for reply. Although I am not new to biking I am quite new to road riding and just started researching the info on how I can bring that bike to a decent shape. I will change the ugly tape for sure, but as far as upgrading the components how will a new guy like me benefit from shifting to Tiagra/105? For now I am just a casual rider, but I am planning to participate in local bike runs/races. What is the major benefit from getting to higher tiers? Sorry, for noob's questions. If you can just direct me to a decent article, it should be also enough.
  • bazzer2
    bazzer2 Posts: 189
    Cost-concious cycling 101, Rule 1 - If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Shimano stuff all works well out of the box and for example the shifting action of a properly installed Tiagra rear mech will be pretty much the same as a 105 (or even Ultegra).

Of course, once the bike has some miles in it, things change. And with Shimano stuff, in my experience the better groupsets stay working for longer and require less effort to stay working. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shimano#Road_groupsets will give you an idea about groupsets.

Weight isn't a massive issue at your stage, although the better 'sets are lighter (and your bike could be a proper lightweight if you went silly with it). However you'd be very much better off starting to think about a wheel upgrade as your first major investment. Less rolling weight makes the bike more nimble, easier to change speed and generally feel more awesome.

My simple advice is ride it. See how you get on and if there's something that you think might benefit from change, ask here and be prepared for a hundred different opinions. :)
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Looks pretty good to me. From the pictures, looks like it's either not done that many miles or has been adequately maintained e.g. not much gunk on the mechs, chain and cassette, the cable ends are still crimped and not frayed.

Agree with Bazzer - If you're new to road cycling, i wouldn't spend any more money on it until you've ridden it a few times and seen a) whether you enjoy road riding and b) whether there's anything not working properly or not feeling right on the bike.

I bought a bike on ebay before, was a bit dubious as I thought it was a very good price for the spec. However, I picked it up from his house, met his dad and his infant son there. If it was stolen i thought he must be a bit dim to invite me round his house.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Are you selling your bike on ebay?

Here is the link

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181283805282

or it is a fraud.

But it is the same picture
  • mauage wrote:
    Are you selling your bike on ebay?

Here is the link

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181283805282

or it is a fraud.

But it is the same picture
    Wow. No, I am not selling my bike. He either doesn't know how to make pictures or tries to perform some scam.
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    That needs reporting on ebay as a fraud then.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Thats odd whats going on?
  • OK, just to make sure this idiot is needed committing a fraud I asked him a question:
    Hi. Is it the picture of the bike you are selling? 2013 looks a bit different.

And here is what he replied:
    Hi mate, 110% sure mate.
    cheers.

Well I dont know what he is up to, but it does look like a fraud.
  • Well he's currently selling four of "his" bikes all with remarkably similar descriptions down to all four having exactly the same scratches. His previous two sales were for the same bike he sold twice within a week to new Ebayers.

Definitely a wrong'un.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Ebay is a b@stard site when you are trying to report a dodgy item!
  • TheHound
    TheHound Posts: 284
    If you don't already have a good base knowledge of how to service a bike, then take it to a decent bike shop and get them to give a proper good scrub and lube and whatever else it needs.

After that it should be easier to accumulate the knowledge in small doses as and when you need it to maintain the bike in good order.
    Bianchi Intenso Athena
    Handbuilt Wheels by dcrwheels.co.uk
    Fizik Cyrano R3 Handlebars
    Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow saddle
    Deda Superleggero seatpost
  • as its collection only, money is exchanged when you collect the bike. Other than the seller mugging the buyer i cant really see where the fraud comes into it. Unless the caad he is selling is stolen hence the reason he has a pic of a diff bike. The fact its listed as 2013 says to me its stolen and the junkie fuck*r cant tell the difference.
  • Hey guys. So I happened to be the winner of that eBay auction. Any views on what to do? I'm very much not wanting to buy a stolen bike as the reason I'm bidding is my specialized being stolen last month.