Minor Battle Scar or in Trouble?

jerryfudd
jerryfudd Posts: 343
edited December 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

Frame took a ding and not sure how bad it actually is, advise please......

77DA08DD-5FEA-45BF-AD3B-94E11649A3AF_zpsi67vrrxe.jpg

Dan

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Is that seat tube or downtube?

It's not ideal that's for sure.
  • njee20 wrote:
    Is that seat tube or downtube?

It's not ideal that's for sure.

downtube....
  • miceden
    miceden Posts: 225
    The downtube is probably one of the most, if not the most, stressed tubes on a bike.... I'd take it in and have it checked, could be terminal.

How'd it happen?
  • miceden wrote:
    The downtube is probably one of the most, if not the most, stressed tubes on a bike.... I'd take it in and have it checked, could be terminal.

How'd it happen?

slipped off the bike stand while i was raising the front end to do a bleed.

Dan
  • njee20
    No one's going to be able to say whether it's going to be ok or not. You can take it to a shop if you want, but they won't be able to say.

You can ride it, that's about the only way you're gonna know. That's a pretty thin walled bit of tubing and you've twatted it a good'un.
  • njee20 wrote:
    No one's going to be able to say whether it's going to be ok or not. You can take it to a shop if you want, but they won't be able to say.

You can ride it, that's about the only way you're gonna know. That's a pretty thin walled bit of tubing and you've twatted it a good'un.

....and when you say ride it, do you mean the way it feels or if it gives up while im riding it?

Dan
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    If your the original owner and take it to a Specialized dealer you maybe be able to get a new discounted crash replacement frame.

An encouraging read...
    http://forums.mtbr.com/specialized/post ... 37140.html
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I wouldn't do anything exciting on it - the first pic looks quite bad.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:

thanks, any guidance if i did want to aim towards a new fame? 26" non-tapered headset and quite like hard tails....

Dan
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Get a decent used one, lots of choice.

Personally I think that will be fine
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    jerryfudd wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

thanks, any guidance if i did want to aim towards a new fame? 26" non-tapered headset and quite like hard tails....

Dan

New version of the same frame, at a heavily discounted cost. See my post above ;)

For what it's worth, I rode a SX Trail with a cracked chainstay for 2 years until I sold it last month (complete with new stay).
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • njee20
    Considering how you've build that one - Flows, 120mm forks etc I'd consider a 456 Carbon frame.
  • njee20 wrote:
    Considering how you've build that one - Flows, 120mm forks etc I'd consider a 456 Carbon frame.

couldn't see that on their site, probably above my budget also.

i've got another thread for frames I'm looking at.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20005&t=12952556
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:

not well enough, i looked at a few and when i phoned them they pointed me to the planetx site and its on there i couldn't see it.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    In my opinion if you felt the need to ask you already knew the answer, its toast. You could ride it and get away with it but if it goes it could fold up and put you over the bars at speed.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • stubs wrote:
    In my opinion if you felt the need to ask you already knew the answer, its toast. You could ride it and get away with it but if it goes it could fold up and put you over the bars at speed.

:roll: the man speaks the truth..... although I'm a tad ocd and thought it best for an outside opinion.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    I have a dent in my downtube as well. Granted its not quite as bad as that. I did some reading up after I did it and it would seem that of all the tubes to dent, the downtube is probably the "best". When the bike is being used the downtube is in contraction, meaning a dent has less impact to the structural integrity of the tube. The top tube, by comparison, is under compression, so a dent is far more serious. That said, get it checked out before you ride it
  • Thanks, I've got a Cotic Bfe frame on order now.
  • njee20
    I'd have got the 456c, chunky ol' frame the BFE