Replace chain

tavyabe
tavyabe Posts: 283
edited December 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, i have a stumpjumer xc 2007 and need to replace the chain. Is it simply a case of order a chain, make sure it's the same length as the old one then fit it? Or is there more I should know? Thanks

Comments

• Yes, as long as you have the correct tools to break / fit the chain.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    If you've left it too long to replace the chain you may have skipping and shifting issues after you've put the new one on, as the chain, chain rings and cassette will have worn in sync.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • You'll defo want to replace the cassette too. Measure chain by new big rear round big front adding two links with no mech.
  • tavyabe
    tavyabe Posts: 283
    The chain snapped while on a ride as a stick got caught in it. Have ordered an Sram 9 speed chain at CRC. Will take a look at replacing the cassette but not sure it needs it or not...

Thanks for the advice...
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Looking at the cassette will not help you see whether it is worn or not, the only way of finding out is whether or not you have problems when you fit the new chain around there. If you haven't replaced the chain since you bought the bike 6 years ago the i'll bet the cassette and the chainrings are worn out as well as the chain. My bike is a 2007 stumpjumper fsr and I have had to replace the chain more than once a year...