Presta or Schraeder

ab20000
ab20000 Posts: 89
edited December 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Any reason to go one over the other?
Thanks

Comments

• My Rovals only seem to fit Prestas. Can't think of any other reasons...
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Whatever your rims are designed for.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Won't they take either?
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Most these days are drilled only for Presta. You can drill them out for schraeder, but then a presta valve ideally needs an adapter to stop it moving around.

So no.
  • njee20 wrote:
    Most these days are drilled only for Presta. You can drill them out for schraeder, but then a presta valve ideally needs an adapter to stop it moving around.

Didn't know that :oops: - mine are schraeder at the moment so I'm still with this - thanks
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    In that case you have the larger hole, to go presta you would need an adaptor or a lock ring with location shoulder.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    My Mavics are drilled for Schraeders, but came with an adapter and Presta tubes. I changed to Schraeder 'cos my footpump and all my pressure gauges are Schraeder fitment.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Narrow rims need thiner valve to keep their integrity.

Most schwalbe Presta tubes have a stepped valve locking ring that allows use on both drillings.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    The two things I like about Presta valves are:
    (1) It's easy to let air out - so you can ride on the road to your favourite trail, let a bit of air out, and go. That's a bit trickier with Schrader valves
    (2) They require a smaller hole in the rim, which probably makes the rims infinitesimally stronger.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • My Mavics are drilled for Schraeders, but came with an adapter and Presta tubes. I changed to Schraeder 'cos my footpump and all my pressure gauges are Schraeder fitment.
    You can get an adapter to use a Schrader pump on a presta valve.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    My Mavics are drilled for Schraeders, but came with an adapter and Presta tubes. I changed to Schraeder 'cos my footpump and all my pressure gauges are Schraeder fitment.
    You can get an adapter to use a Schrader pump on a presta valve.

Yeah, I know, but I was changing the tyres anyway, I have a bunch of different pressure gauges (and the footpump and gauges get used on the car and motorbikes too), my other bike has Schraeder valves and the Mavic rims were factory drilled for Shraeder, so it was just less hassle all round to change the tubes (plus I just prefer Schraeders and it saves carrying different spare tubes for each bike).