Shortest day tomorrow

pinno
pinno Posts: 51,196
edited December 2013 in The bottom bracket
Only 3 months to clock change...or:

I have hatched this plan: I am going to Brisstle docks and I will find me a container from Martinique. I will then hide in there with the familly, then claim to be illegal immigrants and then they will send us (back) to Martinique. Someone is going to have to post my bikes out, any takers?
seanoconn - gruagach craic!

Comments

• arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Do you actually look or sound like you're from Martinique :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • pinno
    arran77 wrote:
    Do you actually look or sound like you're from Martinique :wink:

I'll get a Thierry Henry mask from the joke shop.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    He sounds foreign, well he don't speak English proper :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939

So the clocks went 'back' on Oct 26th which will 8 weeks ago on Saturday 21st Dec,
    but they won't go forward again until March 30th which is more than 12 weeks away.

Any idea why this is so? because it obviously has nothing to do with hours of daylight.

The older I get, the better I was.

• meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    Yes 38 months until the better weather, does seem a long way off. I think you can book your bikes into a container for an extra 12.73, or you can place in the guards van.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Capt Slog wrote:

So the clocks went 'back' on Oct 26th which will 8 weeks ago on Saturday 21st Dec,
    but they won't go forward again until March 30th which is more than 12 weeks away.

Any idea why this is so? because it obviously has nothing to do with hours of daylight.

I feel robbed!
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Thatcher is to blame...
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,688
    Rejoice - the evenings are already getting lighter (as they have been for a week). But don't rejoice too much: the darkest morning is still a week away.

Confused?
  • Mikey23
    In Plymouth we lose 4s today but gain 2s tomorrow... Awesome
  • Mikey23
    ... And we get about ten minutes more daylight than they do in London
  • team47b
    ...and we get 104 minutes more daylight than Plymouth today :D
  • arran77
    Mikey23 wrote:

4 seconds less in Plymouth is a good thing surely :wink:

As for the shortest day of the year, that's a good thing too, it's pi$$ing it down and blowing a gale, I'll get blown away when we go on the Santa cruise on our local canal later :shock:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    arran77 wrote:
    Mikey23 wrote:

4 seconds less in Plymouth is a good thing surely :wink:

As for the shortest day of the year, that's a good thing too, it's pi$$ing it down and blowing a gale, I'll get blown away when we go on the Santa cruise on our local canal later :shock:
    Basingstoke Santa cruise. Sounds classy
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • arran77 wrote:
    I'll get blown away when we go on the Santa cruise on our local canal later :shock:

Mrs Santa must have you on the nice list :lol:

I don't really notice the difference with the shortest day, at worse we still get 8 hours of daylight where I am.
    Scott S40 Speedster
    Dialled Stay Strong MX20R

I no longer live in an ivory tower, these days it's vintage white :shock:
  • Is it less than 24 hours or have I got the wrong end of the stick (again)?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Mikey23
    @a77.. Def a good thing. Don't live there but nearest place that the prog recognises
    Seasickness could be an issue the... Green Santa?

@ss ... Is what less than 24 hours?
  • pinno
    Rejoice - the evenings are already getting lighter (as they have been for a week). But don't rejoice too much: the darkest morning is still a week away.

Confused?

Oh go on then, explain.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,688

Confused?

Oh go on then, explain.
    Although the shortest day is on 21 December, the evenings start getting lighter from about week before the winter solstice, though the mornings are still getting darker at a slightly faster rate. The mornings are darkest at about a week after 21 December. More fully explained here.
  • pinno

Confused?

Oh go on then, explain.
    Although the shortest day is on 21 December, the evenings start getting lighter from about week before the winter solstice, though the mornings are still getting darker at a slightly faster rate. The mornings are darkest at about a week after 21 December. More fully explained here.

I see.
  • arran77
    Mikey23 wrote:
    @a77.. Def a good thing. Don't live there but nearest place that the prog recognises
    Seasickness could be an issue the... Green Santa?

The place is indeed a shite hole Mikey, I spent 3 years at Uni there :wink:

seanoconn
  • team47b
    you had a university educashion :shock:

It's OK I went back and read the rest of the thread, I'd missed the part that said we were talking about Plymouth :D
  • arran77
    team47b wrote:

It's OK I went back and read the rest of the thread, I'd missed the part that said we were talking about Plymouth :D

Pretty well respected for the degree I have :P

seanoconn
  • Mikey23 wrote:

The shortest day…..
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Mikey23
    @ briantrumpet... Interesting explanation, I didn't know that. Not sure I understand it even now but I can pretend to be clever like what I usually do...

@ss .. Pay attention at the back

@arran77 .. One of the most depressing places on earth but a necessary weevil when vittals are needed
  • pinno
    Plymouth - more slappers per square foot of paving slab than anywhere else in Britain, not such a bad place :wink:
  • team47b
    arran77 wrote:
    team47b wrote:

I know, largest in south west, 9th largest uni in England etc, blimey you're touchy today :D

Marine...?
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    team47b wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    team47b wrote:

I know, largest in south west, 9th largest uni in England etc, blimey you're touchy today :D

Marine...?
    Basket weaving?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • arran77
    team47b wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    team47b wrote:

Marine...?

Time of the month, sorry :wink:

There are lots of them in Plymouth, you have to be careful of them on Union Street but it you don't wind them up they leave you alone :)

seanoconn
  • pinno
    arran77 wrote:
    team47b wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    team47b wrote:

Marine...?

Time of the month, sorry :wink:

There are lots of them in Plymouth, you have to be careful of them on Union Street but it you don't wind them up they leave you alone :)

Clockwork prossies! Whatever next?