Road bike newbie, pedal and shoe advice needed!

ashleywightman
ashleywightman Posts: 2
edited December 2013 in Road beginners
Hi all, I have just picked up a road bike for crimbo! Bit early I know!! It did not come with pedals and would like some advice/websites links to the best value for money shoes and pedals. If you need more info just ask and I will try to help myself!

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Have a look on here.
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    There is a thread further down this Forum page headed 'Pedals, cleats and shoes'. Have a look at that. My advice to the poster there was to consider SPD pedals and shoes.
  • They don't have to be expensive. £100-120 for both should get you a perfectly decent setup. Pedals-wise I would recommend some double-sided SPDs; the SPD-SL lower end pedals are also affordable. I would submit that you're best off trying the shoes and opting for the most comfortable; unless you suffer from knee trouble, the specific pedal system you use is of secondary importance.

Don't get hung up on 'road' or 'MTB' branding, either; it's marketing more than anything else.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Shimano SPD M520 pedals and Shimano shoes, can't go wrong. I'd avoid SPD-SLs initially as they're harder to clip into and if you miss you have no traction, if you miss an SPD you can still push down on it (which is nice if you miss at a busy junction). Be sure to get some with the optional orange reflectors, they plug into the side you're not using.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    unixnerd wrote:
    Shimano SPD M520 pedals and Shimano shoes, can't go wrong. I'd avoid SPD-SLs initially as they're harder to clip into and if you miss you have no traction, if you miss an SPD you can still push down on it (which is nice if you miss at a busy junction). Be sure to get some with the optional orange reflectors, they plug into the side you're not using.
    My recommendation too, though I'd add that I have also found Specialized BG shoes really comfortable. There's no substitute for trying on a few pairs - these are a crucial item to get right.

You can find Shimano M520s with the PD-M22 reflectors included, there are always some on ebay. Fitting the reflectors has an additional benefit of ensuring the exposed cleat is always facing upwards so no delay, just stomp-and-go :D
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.