Magazine subscription offers

renevat
renevat Posts: 56
edited December 2013 in Road beginners
Hi all, has anyone out there taken out a subscription to a cycling mag with a 'freebie' as part of the deal? Back in October I subscribed to Cycling Active as I fancied the rain jacket that was on offer. Once my payment was taken out of the bank I started getting the mag but no jacket :( . The help line told me that the jacket had already been dispatched but please allow 28 days, fair do's I can do that. Several weeks later still no jacket so I phoned again. I was told that the jacket had been dispatched on a date two weeks 'after' the previous date that it had supposedly been dispatched. After some back tracking I was advised that the jacket should be with me by Christmas, if not the end of the year, but if not call back and if they have anymore in stock they will post another one or arrange some sort of compensation. My question is - Have I been conned? Has anyone subscribed to a mag and got the item on offer or is it just a matter of catching the gullible newbies? Any thoughts appreciated.

Comments

• Primus84
    Primus84 Posts: 109
    I'm not sure who the publisher is but I've had many such issues with the publisher Dennis.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I got a free Cropton jacket with a suscription to C+ a few years ago. IIRC I was meant to get something else too but that never turned up. Got bored with the mag after a year.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    The free bits of kit often take forever to turn up.

http://cyclistmag.co.uk/ is a great magazine and has 3 issues for a fiver. No free stuff but I think this is a great deal.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Used a recent offer with Cyclist (£5 for 3 issues and some gloves). Gloves arrived within 2 weeks but the wrong size. Quick email and the reply said send them back via a freepost and they will sort it out. Only negative being they said I ordered XL when I know I ordered small, didn't argue as the lass was being helpful anyway.
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    keef66 wrote:
    I got a free Cropton jacket with a suscription to C+ a few years ago. IIRC I was meant to get something else too...

Yepp, I think the other item was an Altura head cap, which I did get along along with the jacket. I was quite pleased and still use the jacket (it is a bit ragged now but so am I).
  • I must have been lucky as I've had no such issues yet. Received a dare2b rucksack and waterproof jacket from a what mountain bike sub, camelbak mule from MBR and a camelbak classic from runners world. All took a few weeks to arrive.
    Felt F95
    Orange Alpine 160
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    in the age of the internet I am surprised anyone bothers subscribing to mags. get the odd one for a journey or just for something but theu just seem a waste of money to buy every month.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    in the age of the internet I am surprised anyone bothers subscribing to mags. get the odd one for a journey or just for something but they just seem a waste of money to buy every month.

I still buy books and thoroughly enjoy them. Also borrow my daughter's Kindle to read every now and then. Both my daughters read loads of books both on the Kindle/iPad and in paperback. Can't see books going out of style anytime soon, same goes for magazines. Sure, the market will diminish over time but reading a real book/magazine is a lovely thing to do, particularly if well printed and good quality like Procycling.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    1 a book is usually something that is timeless and could be enjoyed by all years after release
    2 I agree a mag can be a good read from time to time but for vfm they aint worth it over a year. How much valuable information do you genuinly get from month to month? And can most of that not just be found online anyway? I used to buy cycling weekly alot but i can read it online a few weeks later for free.