Going through nipples like there's no tomorrow.

Cave_Dweller
Cave_Dweller Posts: 114
edited December 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Just today I have completely snapped 5 nipples. Not all at once either, Ive had to take my wheels off and do the repair 4 times today. on both front and rear wheels. I haven't been riding hard or badly, it was just under braking that the nipples snapped. They are quite corroded and have been on the bike since 2006. Never touched them or trued the wheels since then as the wheels have always been nice and straight with good tension.

Will a rebuild of the wheels using new spokes and nipples solve my problem of them snapping under braking? I'm a spray painter by trade and I was thinking at the time to get the rims back to bare metal and restore them back to former glory as well because the corrosion on the nipples is starting to effect the rims.

Comments

• CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Sometimes I think the time and effort needed to make something like new again isn't worth the effort of simply replacing it. I think that this is one of those times. 7 years on a set of wheels with no maintenance is good going, so they can retire happy knowing they served you well.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • I see what you are saying. It's a good time to use the excuse that if my bike isn't working then the wife has to put up with me more often lol. I'll look into buying a new set then, but I'll keep these retired old souls for parts. I've fixed it for now but I'm just waiting for more to go. Time to add more to my bike shopping list for after christmas.
  • CitizenLee
    Yeah, I think if the corrosion has crept into the rims then they’re best kept as emergency spares! Sounds like you have your purchase justification sorted too ;)

There’s a lot to choose from when it comes to wheels so without knowing what and where you ride, and of course the all important budget it, would be hard to recommend a set. However, a lot of people like the SuperStar complete wheelsets. I haven’t used them myself but they appear to offer great value for money.

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/

Always worth checking CRC and Merlin etc for clearance deals too ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • I have some old Hope Big Un hubs I could get fitted with new rims, but then there's the case if something goes wrong with the them, I might not be able to get the parts as they are quite old now. I will be mostly riding bike parks around South Wales and the occasional easy tracks towing a kids trailer. Weight doesn't bother me otherwise I wouldn't be building up a hardtail using my old 24 Le Toy 3 frame lol, that thing weight nearly as much as my complete freeride FS bike. I'm only looking to spend around 200-300 for a set of wheels. Preferably the cheapest within that budget as I will have to get new discs as well more than likely. My discs are on a Shimano hub just now and they are a spline fitment, not your average 6-bolt discs.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sound like aluminium nipples. Rubbish. Rebuild with new spokes and decent brass nipples.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Sound like aluminium nipples. Rubbish. Rebuild with new spokes and decent brass nipples.
    Yes indeed they are aluminium, and not strong at all. Quite a few crumpled when I tried to true the wheel after the ones I had to replace in the first place. I ended up robbing some off a 20year old Trek bike and they worked wonders. I know to stay away from the aluminium ones from now on.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Aluminium nipples are rubbish. Get brass nipples.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Er that's what I said up there ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    It's stress corrosion cracking - made worse if you ride the bike in winter and get salty water on them. You shouldn't need to replace the spokes, only new brass nipples are needed.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • CitizenLee
    I still think a new wheelset is the better option. Rusted rims are a sign to call it quits.

I remember the 24 Le Toy 3! Would make most modern "aggressive hardtails" quiver in their Maxxis! :D
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    It's stress corrosion cracking - made worse if you ride the bike in winter and get salty water on them. You shouldn't need to replace the spokes, only new brass nipples are needed.

I've started stripping the wheels down today to save my local bike shop a bit of time and most of the spokes need replacing. The aluminium nipples had corroded themselves onto most of the spokes so they just snapped them stying to take them off. I was hoping to get away with not replacing spokes as well but I'll have to this time.
    CitizenLee wrote:
    I still think a new wheelset is the better option. Rusted rims are a sign to call it quits.

I remember the 24 Le Toy 3! Would make most modern "aggressive hardtails" quiver in their Maxxis! :D

I've decided to get some wheels built up for my Le Toy 3 instead and just get these ones rebuilt for my FS bike. Once I finish building up the Toy it will be the bike I ride most so I'm putting more money into it than the FS one. The Le Toy 3 has not been built up for 5years now since I broke my neck, can't wait to get it all finished again. It was a real head turner.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    This is a very similar issue to the one I have on my commuters rear wheel, either the head snaps off the nipple or the spokes snaps just where it enters the nipple, as it's the commuter I'm just replacing each spoke as it fails, done about half by now over a 4 year and 4000 mile period.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.