Djamolidine Abdoujaparov - the Tashkent Terror

RonB
RonB Posts: 3,984
edited December 2013 in Pro race
A couple of excellent post(er)s within the 2014 gear thread got me thinking that it would be good to recollect one of the best sprinters of his day.

adbu.jpg

As mentioned previously it is a shame that the YouTube community concentrates on the crash at the end of the 22nd Stage of the 1991 TdF on the Champs Elysees; though it is worth mentioning that after all that he did get across the line to claim the Green Jersey!

Also worth mentioning that he had the ability to get really low and over the bars during a sprint, not unlike Cav though perhaps with a slightly more "erratic" style.

2bb2a.jpg

The last link I have at the moment shows a few highlights (of course including the crash) but it is worth watching to the end to see the last clip which shows his amazing pace (again Cav like) compared to his rivals…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfeK2fV68x8

Comments

• Beautiful photo at the bottom.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Doesn't he, along with Kim Anderson, share the dubious distinction of the most positive tests in cycling?
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    RonB wrote:

few highlights (of course including the crash) but it is worth watching to the end to see the last clip which shows his amazing pace compared to his rivals…
    Don't let Mario hear you.
    He said to a question about Abdu worrying him, that he had no worries as he (Mario) was usually in front and he didn't turn round to see him. :!:

1988 Olympic RR and two riders on the last lap chasing the selection of 6/7 riders, which they caught about 15 kms to go.
    That's the first time I saw those two, Djamolidine Abdoujaparov (Soviet Union) and Olaf Ludwig who won (East Germany) with two West Germans on the podium.
    Of course Abdu was not in that sprint.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    I remember Gary Imlach describing him as the 9 most terrifying syllables in cycling...

I always kinda liked that...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Always had a soft spot for Abdoujaparov. He was my favourite rider for a while as a kid. I used to pretend to be him and often I'd end up like him, coming a massive cropper. The worse was when I did my "Abdu sprint" after they'd just resurfaced the road (tar and chippings) and there were so many loose chippings I had the worse road rash of my life. I still have the scars to this day and I nearly lost a nipple and I am not even joking, it had to be stitched. :shock:

Still it taught me a lesson. I'd been told not to be careful because of the surface and I didn't listen.
    RonB wrote:
    adbu.jpg

He looks a lot like Chinny in this photo.
    ddraver wrote:
    I remember Gary Imlach describing him as the 9 most terrifying syllables in cycling...

I always kinda liked that...

Ha ha yes I like that. My dad is prone to quote that whenever Abdu comes up in conversation.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • RonB
    deejay wrote:
    RonB wrote:

few highlights (of course including the crash) but it is worth watching to the end to see the last clip which shows his amazing pace compared to his rivals…
    Don't let Mario hear you.
    He said to a question about Abdu worrying him, that he had no worries as he (Mario) was usually in front and he didn't turn round to see him. :!:

1988 Olympic RR and two riders on the last lap chasing the selection of 6/7 riders, which they caught about 15 kms to go.
    That's the first time I saw those two, Djamolidine Abdoujaparov (Soviet Union) and Olaf Ludwig who won (East Germany) with two West Germans on the podium.
    Of course Abdu was not in that sprint.

Good stuff. I guess the best retort would be that Abdu wouldn't be worrying about Mario watching the Champs Elysees stage on the TV either :wink:
  • RonB
    He looks a lot like Chinny in this photo.

Abdu & Fabu.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Beautiful photo at the bottom.

of his bottom...

oh no at the bottom.

:oops:
  • Doesn't he, along with Kim Anderson, share the dubious distinction of the most positive tests in cycling?
    He only tested positive seven times in 1997...

Still he was a legend.

Nice story here:
    http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/features ... ujaparov_1
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    He only tested positive seven times in 1997...

Certified heavyweight. If you're going to dope you may as well do it properly!

I was a big fan of his, in naiver times.