Press Association photographers' best shots of 2013

meursault
meursault Posts: 1,433
edited December 2013 in The cake stop
Only good one IMHO

_71704747_pa-15724210.jpg

The others look a bit like snaps, apart from Thatcher one and I have seen that St Pauls shot before.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-25340401
Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire

Comments

• + 1

The St Paul's shot is only memorable insofar as it captures a day of celebration! :wink::mrgreen:
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Mo Farah pic is a good one...
  • meursault wrote:
    The others look a bit like snaps, apart from Thatcher one and I have seen that St Pauls shot before.

Surely one of the points is that you will have seen them before, as they are Press photo's? In a way they are "snaps" as they are reporting news.
  • meursault
    meursault wrote:

Surely one of the points is that you will have seen them before, as they are Press photo's? In a way they are "snaps" as they are reporting news.

By snaps, I meant anyone could have taken them, rather than a professional photographer.

Voltaire
  • stoveman
    stoveman Posts: 125
    For me a great news photo stops you in your tracks and demands your full attention.Maybe even thought provoking,all of those photos I just found a little bland and almost forgettable.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Shame the much debated one was taken one day too late to participate.
    1002024_10152063263759435_1168867086_n.jpg
  • ThomThom wrote:
    Shame the much debated one was taken one day too late to participate.
    1002024_10152063263759435_1168867086_n.jpg

Who's that fat bugger on the left?
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Who are any of them?
  • meursault
    I am in the background second from the right.

Voltaire
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    meursault wrote:
    Only good one IMHO

_71704747_pa-15724210.jpg

Yep - absolutely agree with you. The others are just plain ordinary. If I'd taken them, some of them would have got as far as my Facebook page but that's about it! The Press Association needs to find some decent photographers!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Rolf F wrote:
    Yep - absolutely agree with you. The others are just plain ordinary. If I'd taken them, some of them would have got as far as my Facebook page but that's about it! The Press Association needs to find some decent photographers!
    yer right ...

you might not rate the subject - but look at the quality of the image ... the placement of the subject, the focus, the light ...

A lot of ppl think they're crack photographers when they're not - at least there are still ppl with the humility to know that even equipped with pro equipment, they're still not going to get the same "snaps" as the Pros achieve.
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    Slowbike wrote:
    yer right ...

you might not rate the subject - but look at the quality of the image ... the placement of the subject, the focus, the light ...

A lot of ppl think they're crack photographers when they're not - at least there are still ppl with the humility to know that even equipped with pro equipment, they're still not going to get the same "snaps" as the Pros achieve.

This,

although the other images are not as dramatic as the lighthouse shot they are all very very good images
    and it's obvious to see that they were taken by pro's.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • meursault
    Slowbike wrote:
    yer right ...

This,

although the other images are not as dramatic as the lighthouse shot they are all very very good images
    and it's obvious to see that they were taken by pro's.

Meh, if it was obvious I wouldn't have OP.

Voltaire
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    meursault wrote:

You might want a better monitor then ...

I don't particularly like some of the subjects - but I can appreciate a well taken photo ...
  • meursault
    Slowbike wrote:
    meursault wrote:

You might want a better monitor then ...

I don't particularly like some of the subjects - but I can appreciate a well taken photo ...

I have viewed them on a variety of monitors, but it wouldn't make much difference, I agree with an earlier poster, they are bland and lifeless. But if they work for you then fine.

Voltaire
  • upperoilcan
    meursault wrote:

Could be number of things,maybe your eyesight isnt quite as good as it once was,it's also possible that your monitor is below par...

Failing that could be more of a case that you have no clue of what your talking about. :wink:
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • meursault
    meursault wrote:

Could be number of things,maybe your eyesight isnt quite as good as it once was,it's also possible that your monitor is below par...

Failing that could be more of a case that you have no clue of what your talking about. :wink:

It's possible, but an A level in photography may suggest otherwise. If you seriously think these are good, then....forgetaboutit, it's not worth it.

Voltaire
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    They're just not very inspiring pictures. A couple are but not all.
  • upperoilcan
    Having an A level in photography you of all people should be able to see the class of the shots...

Some of those shots have amazing lighting and DOF.

It's evident to me that these were not just point and shoot efforts.

Agreed that most are not the most inspiring shots ive ever seen but none the less they are all well taken.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • meursault
    Having an A level in photography you of all people should be able to see the class of the shots...

We studied people like Henri Cartier-Bresson and Robert Capa and Dorethea Lange so no, I know a thing or two about class.

Some of those shots have amazing lighting and DOF.

Looks like cameras on full auto. I don't see anything amazing.
    It's evident to me that these were not just point and shoot efforts.

I don't see any evidence of that.
    Agreed that most are not the most inspiring shots ive ever seen but none the less they are all well taken.

I beg to differ.

Voltaire
  • upperoilcan
    meursault wrote:

I beg to differ.

You and me both.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • rolf_f
    It doesn't matter if the photographers were geniuses and that the photographs are technically perfectly taken. They are bland images with no great talent shown in the composition. Sorry, but there has to be more than getting the focus and aperture settings right.

Ultimately, lighthouse aside, the subject matter is poor and the photographs shown haven't shown any ability of the photographer to make anything special of that subject matter.
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    It isn't very hard to get nice bokeh with decent kit. I don't see any great photos amongst these except for the seascape already pointed out. Most the scenes really are dull, the Royals and their political servants seem to have hogged the limelight. It is as if nothing else of much interest happened in UK this year. The ability to shoot interesting subject matter in an arresting composition is the real skill, not to take technically proficient photos and then process them through LR.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,595
    I am of the opinion that this set is much more interesting -

http://www.theppy.com/competition/results?year=2013

Although I think that most of the previous complaints seem to concern the choice of subject matter as much as they do the captures.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rolf_f
    PBlakeney wrote:
    I am of the opinion that this set is much more interesting -

http://www.theppy.com/competition/results?year=2013

Although I think that most of the previous complaints seem to concern the choice of subject matter as much as they do the captures.

Yep - much better. Though still some dull shots due to bland or unphotogenic subject matter. Can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear so why even pretend? However, lots of really nice shots too.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    This pic?

_71799933_pa-17285078.jpg

or this one?

mo-farah_2307758b.jpg

I think the second is much more engaging, though it has been over-sharpened, but that's the fault of the editor rather than the photographer.
  • meursault
    Yep, the second one, the first is let down by the angle. You need to get something different from the audience pov.

Voltaire
  • I have to say the one of thatcher's funeral was rather pleasing !

but seriously, they are terrible images, the sort of thing any 1/2 decent amateur could capture, a photo should inspire :idea:
    this is more like it.....

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/