Front disc brake and rear v-brake setup.

jeffmcbright
jeffmcbright Posts: 19
edited December 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
any comments or feed backs on a front Disc brake and rear V-brake setup on a MTB?
i was planning to do this setup for my MTB.. thanks! :wink:

Comments

• cobba
    cobba Posts: 282
    edited December 2013
    There's nothing wrong with that type of brake setup, it'll will work fine.
    Some bikes were sold with the same brake setup in the late 1990's and early 2000's.

IMG_02171.jpg
    47604531yf5.jpg
  • raldat
    raldat Posts: 242
    Yep, I run that on my old bike that is now my commuter. I did it because I could not afford a new bike at the time and wet weather braking performance was holding back my riding. Changed my enjoyment of riding overnight. Of course I now have a new bike with discs front and rear and that is much better, but I would not be afraid at all of doing this. I think you will enjoy the difference.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    any comments or feed backs on a front Disc brake and rear V-brake setup on a MTB?
    i was planning to do this setup for my MTB.. thanks! :wink:

good disc is better than a V so why would you not use one on a bike if you can.

I had F disc R V on my old orange X2

3491169687_660eea2dee_o.jpg
  • Just old.
  • jeffmcbright
    jeffmcbright Posts: 19
    edited December 2013
    cobba wrote:
    There's nothing wrong with that type of brake setup, it'll will work fine.
    Some bikes were sold with the same brake setup in the late 1990's and early 2000's.

IMG_02171.jpg
    47604531yf5.jpg
    thanks cobba! :D
    here's my bike.. it's a shame my bike is old.. :cry:
    bought my new front shocks i repainted in white and some Epicon x1 stickers :P and it has disc mount on it.. :DIMG_20131211_163442_zps4cc65862.jpg
  • i saw this picture in bike thread..
    is this a customize? or can be buy in our LBS..
    mountforthebrakemounttomountthebrake_zps0c0877c2.jpg
  • raldat wrote:
    Yep, I run that on my old bike that is now my commuter. I did it because I could not afford a new bike at the time and wet weather braking performance was holding back my riding. Changed my enjoyment of riding overnight. Of course I now have a new bike with discs front and rear and that is much better, but I would not be afraid at all of doing this. I think you will enjoy the difference.
    your right raldat! i agree to you,.. :D some day i will buy better MTB. that can handle the trails...
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    You will also need a new front hub.
  • raldat
    A few quick thoughts. You will need a new right hand shifter I suspect as your brake levers seem integrated with your shifters. You will also need a new front hub (or wheel) to take the disc. Not to discourage you but do thing about the cost.

A lot of folks say don't upgrade an old bike, it it depends. On my old 2000 Schwinn clunker that I bought new for forest road and commute duties, I had crops RST forks. Once I got serious about riding with a few mates they seized in months. A mate gave me a some Dart 3s, known as about the worst rockshox ever. Compared to the functioning RSTs and especially the seized ones, they were awesome and made the bike feel like a revelation. They didn't cost a cent, well ok, a few beers.

A few months later, I smashed my front wheel. Needing a new wheel I decided it was a good chance to put a disc on. I had to buy the wheel anyhow, so the only additional expense was the brake and disc and a new shifter as I also had integrated ones like yours. I think it cost about 60 quid all up and was again a revelation.

So far I was 60 quid plus a few beers down and had a bike that was still crap by modern standards but was a shed load better than when I started. The experts say don't upgrade am old bike, save the cash and buy new. They are right, but a few small wise upgrades when circumstances make it worthwhile can make the old girl feel much better until you get enough to buy a new one.

I new have a Canyon hard tail 29er with real air forks, proper discs and 11kg weight and I love it. It is of course miles ahead of the upgraded old one, but I still ride the old one 10 miles to work and back every day.

So why the long post? Really just my own experience where a few small and targeted upgrades can be worth it. The experts are generally right, you are better saving for a new one, but making what you have enjoyable to ride in the mean time is not always a waste.
  • cobba
    cobba Posts: 282
    i saw this picture in bike thread..

I wouldn't bother trying to fit a disc brake onto a frame that wasn't made to have one.

With a v-brake you should be able to slow down and lock up your rear wheel, if you can't then your brake probably needs adjusting or new pads.

The modification in the photo is home made and looks like it's attached to rack/fender mounts.
    Rack/fender mounts aren't meant to have a disc brake attached to them and they wouldn't be made to handle the force that a disc brake could put on them.
    raldat wrote:
    A few quick thoughts. You will need a new right hand shifter I suspect as your brake levers seem integrated with your shifters.

A new shifter wouldn't be needed if the OP bought a mechanical disc brake.
  • raldat
    cobba wrote:
    i saw this picture in bike thread..

I wouldn't bother trying to fit a disc brake onto a frame that wasn't made to have one.

With a v-brake you should be able to slow down and lock up your rear wheel, if you can't then your brake probably needs adjusting or new pads.

The modification in the photo is home made and looks like it's attached to rack/fender mounts.
    Rack/fender mounts aren't meant to have a disc brake attached to them and they wouldn't be made to handle the force that a disc brake could put on them.
    raldat wrote:
    A few quick thoughts. You will need a new right hand shifter I suspect as your brake levers seem integrated with your shifters.

A new shifter wouldn't be needed if the OP bought a mechanical disc brake.

Very good point.
  • i saw this picture in bike thread..

Looks like a homemade version of an A2Z adaptor.

http://www.woollyhatshop.com/Brake-Spar ... _4400.html
    Too many bikes, not all fully built.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    An ex-pro rider I knew took it upon himself to have disc tabs welded to the seatstay of his steel frame for a trip to Moab. First long descent, stays snapped and an expensive trip to the hospital....frames designed for rim brakes often aren't strong enough to take the stresses from a disc brake. If you want discs, get a frame designed for them
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..